Sign in to follow this  
tire

Tips for removing a snapped bolt

I managed to snap a sump bolt off in the block whilst being a bit impatient. One of the longer ones at the back. it is only about 3/4 of the way in and is leaking so it needs to come out and be replaced. There is no thread sticking out.

Could I draw on the intelligence and experience of bimmersport's finest and ask for some tips for removal? Thanks!

I managed to snap a sump bolt off in the block whilst being a bit impatient. One of the longer ones at the back. it is only about 3/4 of the way in and is leaking so it needs to come out and be replaced. There is no thread sticking out.

Could I draw on the intelligence and experience of bimmersport's finest and ask for some tips for removal? Thanks!

Mig weld a blob on the end, then vice-grips!

Hi,

Take a photo and show us what you have, usually requires drilling a hole in the broken bolt and using a easy out to remove it.

Dave.

Drill and tap a smaller reverse thread and reverse thread bolt into it ... Kinda hard though for on car extractions however. I like theig blob idea better

It's just the beginning of the story if you snap the ezy out.. :unsure:

Easy outs work best if you know the bolt in question is loose already. Getting a stuck bolt out with an easy out is just plain annoying. How did you go?

Edited by tcbaurpower

Mig weld a blob on the end, then vice-grips!

my mate's solution for getting rounded bolts out of his flywheel was to weld a handle onto the bolt, bash it with a hammer, then repeat for the other 3 lol

Once I got the sump off there was actually a bit of bolt sticking out so I just got the vice grips on it real hard and wound it out. The bolt was actually too long for the hole that's how it snapped.