Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Why would you?!?!

And why not ??? The GM V6 is a very strong torquey engine and can be modded to produce reasonable figures. Probably more reliable than the power plant it replaced.

All he is getting at is there are better motors to use if you're going to the hassle of doing an engine conversion.

It's not like the 3.8 GM V6 are anything special. Just a typical inefficient boat anchor of the time.

After having the experience of putting a Lexus V8 in my car all by myself, I wouldn't dream of going through that hassle for the sake of a GM 3.8 V6, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot!

Think this has been discussed before. Check out the formual holden series single seaters before you bag the engine. Watched one break the manfield outright lap record a number of years back. Not a serious amount of engine mods to do so either.

I have some mates who are running them in E30's at the local dirt track, shells I supplied, easy conversion, they are doing very well, heaps of power, they love them.

Those engines a plentiful over here and cheap from early Vn's and Vp's yet to see a E36 over here with one.But I'm sure there are a few lurking also there is a factory super charged v6 from a early Holden not sure what model(maybe a early statesman?) that might kick the power up in a underpowered E36 or E30 if you were to go that way.

Easy way to gain 50-odd kW I guess. Kinda have to agree that for the same effort why not shoehorn a dirty 8 in there....LS 7 anyone?

Still, an 'charged 3.8 from a VX Commy would make for something different....... :huh: would sound a hell of a lot nicer than a rotary for starters!!

Each to their own :)

I guess the point is that from memory a VN V6 was 121kw/300nm torque. A 328i is 141kw/280nm torque. I dont know what it costs to transplant a Commy motor and cert it, but I'm guessing more than the changeover between a 318 and a 328. I suppose it would sound better than the 4.

I want to see an Alloytech 190 put into a 3series BMW. *especially E30*