Sign in to follow this  
JohnM575

E36 325i manual must-do mods

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 94 E36 325i 4 door manual and was after some information and wisdom from those in the know. I am looking at doing a few cheap mods to start off to improve the car.

I have narrowed it down to the following:

Z3/Z3M Short shift kit - Current stock setup is very sloppy and lacks precision whilst changing gears. Which would be the better option - the Z3 or Z3M kit?Z3M too notchy?

Stiffer springs - While I understand to do the suspension properly you should really do springs/dampners all at once, I don't have the budget so looking at a short term fix to stiffen up the car slightly a give it a little drop without raising the eyebrows of police/vtnz. I have heard Jamex springs are not too flash, so wondering what alternatives there are that are readily avaliable in NZ? H&R/Blistein?

K&N Filter - Really worth doing? I'm not expecting a hp gain that is even really noticeable...or is it?

If you could share any other mods that you believe are worthwhile that would be greatly appreciated!

I've shift kitted my M5 along with H&R lowered springs and K&N filters.

All are a must do in my book but that's just me.

Being a M car it's not too bad stock but I'm always amazed how the sum of small mods changes the car.

Yes you can feel the difference with a after market filter, factory are restrictive. You probably wont feel the difference between a $100 drop in K&N and a $1500 carbon fiber pod filter kit however.

To replace your filter with a BMW OEM item it will be around $70-80 every year, so the K&N reuseable is a no-brainer. Just don't over-oil it when it comes to cleaning time.

Stick with some quality german springs for a slight drop. H&R are some of the best around. As long as your shocks are in reasonable nick then it will be an improvement.

I wasn't sold on the shift kit and shortened weighted gearstick until I drove it. Now I can't believe BMW didn't fit it standard.

Not a direct 325i comparison but the advice still stands I think

I'd stay away from the short shift kits with a getrag 250 gearbox(i'm assuming you have the standard gearbox in it). Unless your shifting at the right time the synchro's will be getting excessive wear.

In saying that i've got a short shifter in the 325 i'm fixing atm and would trade with cash my way

To get rid of the play in your shifter have a look in my 328 build thread. It has a list of all the parts you'll want to change

Best mod i've done to my car was adding a limited slip differential and going from a 2.93 ratio to 3.15

Being a M car it's not too bad stock but I'm always amazed how the sum of small mods changes the car.

Yes you can feel the difference with a after market filter, factory are restrictive. You probably wont feel the difference between a $100 drop in K&N and a $1500 carbon fiber pod filter kit however.

To replace your filter with a BMW OEM item it will be around $70-80 every year, so the K&N reuseable is a no-brainer. Just don't over-oil it when it comes to cleaning time.

Stick with some quality german springs for a slight drop. H&R are some of the best around. As long as your shocks are in reasonable nick then it will be an improvement.

I wasn't sold on the shift kit and shortened weighted gearstick until I drove it. Now I can't believe BMW didn't fit it standard.

Thanks for the advice Darren. I will sort out a K&N filter to be installed at the next service. Now just have to find a stockist of H&R springs in Auckland...

I'd stay away from the short shift kits with a getrag 250 gearbox(i'm assuming you have the standard gearbox in it). Unless your shifting at the right time the synchro's will be getting excessive wear.

In saying that i've got a short shifter in the 325 i'm fixing atm and would trade with cash my way

To get rid of the play in your shifter have a look in my 328 build thread. It has a list of all the parts you'll want to change

Best mod i've done to my car was adding a limited slip differential and going from a 2.93 ratio to 3.15

If the short shift kit wears synchro's, would I be best going with the Z3 1.9 shift kit then (which is less agressive than the z3m kit)?

Thanks for the advice Darren. I will sort out a K&N filter to be installed at the next service. Now just have to find a stockist of H&R springs in Auckland...

If the short shift kit wears synchro's, would I be best going with the Z3 1.9 shift kit then (which is less agressive than the z3m kit)?

OEM short shift kits are not that agressive and definitely not as bad as the after market ones. If I were you I would go for Z3m kit plus ZHP weighted gear knob. Z3m shifter will have to be slightly bent to have it in the upright position. I have made a lot of research this set up is the best for every day use and some track use, if you will want to get involved in the future. :)

As long as your not slamming it through the gears you'll be fine.

I definately wouldn't say it is a must do mod.

As far as the K&N filter is concerned, just get their panel filter which fits directly into the existing air box, but before you fit it, take out the air restictor in the air box to increase the air flow. Works every bit as well as a pod filter without having to modify the area around the filter.

Ok, first mod done!

So I did my homework and asked round various places for the best offering for springs for the E36 sedan. I had intended on getting a set of H&R's, but Mag & Turbo said the next shipment would be at least 3 months away, so opted for the B&G sport springs (Mag & Turbo offered the most competitive pricing for springs, install and 2 x wheel alignments & proximity to home) . I did not want to comprimise on quality and go down the shitty Jamex route with linear rate springs, and am glad I didn't. According to the manufacturer, the drop is 50mm front, 20mm rear. I have been having some minor rear quarter and bumper rubbing issues on the left rear with the car carrying a pretty reasonable load(right rear is absolutely free of rubbing). Mag & Turbo have been sorting out by trimming the plastic inside the bumper a little each time. They said there should be no rubbing whatsoever with the car fully loaded; car load of mates,full tank of gas and gear included, so will be sorting this out over the coming weeks.

Here are the before and after pics:

Before:Posted Image

After:Posted Image

Overall, I am very happy with the way the car now handles. The progressive rate springs makes the cars ride round town very forgiving and almost feels stock, whilst out on the open road it offers a lot more resistance and has removed the sofa-like handling when being pushed.

I do not know the offset of the wheels, but has anyone else had rubbing issues with 225/50/16's on an E36 sedan?

I like your work.

well done.

another upgade that you could do is a lighter flywheel.

have one, and they are the m3 replacment.

all alloy and weighs 5.5kg.

pm me if your keen

also have a e36 coil-over kit for not very much $$. bit late as you already have spent the time and money

but for anyone else on here,i'll post some details soon

cheers marty

another upgade that you could do is a lighter flywheel.

have one, and they are the m3 replacment.

all alloy and weighs 5.5kg.

pm me if your keen

also have a e36 coil-over kit for not very much $$. bit late as you already have spent the time and money

but for anyone else on here,i'll post some details soon

cheers marty

Single mass flywheel?

I do not know the offset of the wheels, but has anyone else had rubbing issues with 225/50/16's on an E36 sedan?

that's one of the standard tyre sizes for the e36

that's one of the standard tyre sizes for the e36

Sorry, I should have said, anyone had rubbing issues with the car being lowered only slightly? As you can probably see from the picture, it isn't the most aggressive drop seen on an e36 (20mm at the rear)...

Single mass flywheel?

yes,that is correct

Had an issue running acs type I's 16x8 et 35's with 225/55/16's on the rear of my old E36 325i Coupe. Rear arches were rolled. Had problems with Uniroyals rubbing on the odd occasion , but bridgestones seemed ok. Was also running BMW standard M suspension setting which meant tyres lasted well.

Fonts never caused any problems.

Edited by Neal

yes,that is correct

Didn't think any six cylinder E36 had single mass fly wheels???