Sign in to follow this  
addie263

New bmw user having major headache already, help!

hi guys.

i was wondering if i could get any advice regarding my car. i got an '92 325i coupe about 2 months ago. the car was fine, perfomed well on the test drive etc. my problem began 5 weeks after date of purchase. the check coolant light came on as i was starting the car one morning and so i topped it up and later on in the afternoon the temp gauge was on red so i stopped and waited 2hrs to cool down the engine. i had some water with me and i topped up the car so i could get home, abt 3km away. as i was getting in my driveway the temp was high again and when i turned off the car, i heard a sort of dull pop sound like air getting released and a white steam came out of the bonet. the steam smelt of coolant.

i waited till the next day to put coolant in the radiator and i noticed as i was filling it up, there was fluid leaking under the car, in the middle around where the front tyres end. there was also a little water in the exhaust pipe, spitting out in small amounts. the car starts fine, sound hasnt changed and the check collant light comes on but not always. i havent been driving the car, just starting it every other day & the gauge will take 15+ minutes to move past the middle mark on the temp gauge and thats when i turn it off.

my question is, what could the problem be, judging from your experience. im a poor student and the mechanic i asked from hamilton wants at least $405 to diagnose IF it may be a cylinder head issue. im just wondering if its worth fixing or jus take it to the wreckers.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OOOOOO mmmmm kak !

Sympathies in great abundance x 10 - it does sound kinda big time serious, with no shortcuts to a patchup.

Radiator, Head, Head Gasket, Coolant topup resiviour, hose - hoses, waterpump, tall order to guess-tew-late (word of the day) exact fix & cost.

I have just picked up an earlier model so I know how I would feel it it happened !

Good luck but don't give up,

Paul E36

My advice would be to do a cooling system overhaul. Waterpump, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat, expansion bottle, and possibly radiator.... or alternatively find out where the coolant is pouring from, and why it overheated in the first place (if you do the overhaul chances are unless its the headgasket or heater core itll get fixed in the process).

The "water" in the exhaust could be condensation if it hasnt had a decent run.

Also, a quick check, is there oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil?

Dont give up just yet!

Edited by KwS

As kws has said look for a milkshake mix

I'd also get a sniffer test done. This will check if there is any exhaust gases going into the cooling system

I wouldn't be getting any new parts unless I knew I was keeping it

sound like headgasket , engine gases are blowing into the coolant system and pressurising the coolant system .

if you start it up when cold fill the coolant up run the engine with the rad cap off and if you have bubbles coming up and more so when you rev it up. there's your problem

but pay to get it checked properly with TK test and compression test etc

there will be a reason why its gone , maybe faulty thermostat , water pump , radiator ,bottle or hoses leaking , faulty viscous fan , or maybe just old gasket with corrsion ,

is it full of rusty water???

sound like headgasket , engine gases are blowing into the coolant system and pressurising the coolant system .

if you start it up when cold fill the coolant up run the engine with the rad cap off and if you have bubbles coming up and more so when you rev it up. there's your problem

but pay to get it checked properly with TK test and compression test etc

there will be a reason why its gone , maybe faulty thermostat , water pump , radiator ,bottle or hoses leaking , faulty viscous fan , or maybe just old gasket with corrsion ,

is it full of rusty water???

hey guys thanks for the input. i found out it was the cylinder head, was quoted between 3 to 4 grand to fix. not worth fixing at this point, off to the wreckers. On the bright side, couple more weeks to finish my degree, maybe ill b able to afford a newer bimmer later in the year. Again thank u all

pick up good used engine and get it going again?

Pisses me off when people wreck a perfectly good car because they cant be arsed fixing it. Sell it on trademe as a complete car if you must, but dont part it.

You could drain the fluid and flush with water and ad a head gasket repair liquid, this might buy you a couple of months so that you have a car to use for a while.

A product such as http://www.lovemycarnz.co.nz/?/products/product-page/670

A mate of mine used something similar to keep his car going for a while, 18 months later it was still running.

Of course this isn't a proper fix, more of a band aid, but it might buy you some time.

Edited by Charles32

That sucks dude. I'd definantly try fix it. I'm sure the guys that wreak on here could help you out

You could drain the fluid and flush with water and ad a head gasket repair liquid, this might buy you a couple of months so that you have a car to use for a while.

A product such as http://www.lovemycarnz.co.nz/?/products/product-page/670

A mate of mine used something similar to keep his car going for a while, 18 months later it was still running.

Of course this isn't a proper fix, more of a band aid, but it might buy you some time.

Mate came online and I asked what he used, was called Irontite and he got it from Repco, 2 years later his Hilux is still working with this fix.. crazy heh, he goes off roading in it too..

Mate came online and I asked what he used, was called Irontite and he got it from Repco, 2 years later his Hilux is still working with this fix.. crazy heh, he goes off roading in it too..

Thanks Charles32, i might just try that Irontite solution. hopefully it works. ill let u know how it goes.