Sign in to follow this  
Jamie W

m52b28 E30 Project

So I've been getting through this project very slowly but with with lots of promise. Sorry for the delay in documenting the project but here it is! From an auto 318i to a manual m52b28 =D Not long to go now!

post-5361-1335095252.jpg

post-5361-1335095315.jpg

post-5361-1335095784.jpg

post-5361-1335095798.jpg

When i first got this beaut

post-5361-1334921101.jpg

post-5361-1334921282.jpg

Stock E30 with tech2 before it was painted. bit of a Frankenstein =P (cause was 15 year old kids driving at night, right through a give way and into my baby) Lucky the Germans made these things as strong as tanks =D

post-5361-1334921352.jpg

Drift Steering wheel in a bit early B)

post-5361-1334921545.jpg

post-5361-1334921687.jpg

post-5361-1334921405.jpg

post-5361-1335094875.jpg

post-5361-1335094992.jpg

post-5361-1335096467.jpg

E30 after its paint, New custom Superlite wheels (16x8) Looking nice ^_^

post-5361-1335093483.jpg

post-5361-1335093616.jpg

post-5361-1335093839.jpg

Original engine from E30 - 318i Auto :rolleyes:

post-5361-1335094261.jpg

m52b28 raw power B)

Getting ready for the engine transplant

post-5361-1334923831.jpg

post-5361-1334923606.jpg

running clutch line

post-5361-1334923142.jpg

post-5361-1334923227.jpg

post-5361-1334923410.jpg

Clutch assembly

post-5361-1334923982.jpg

post-5361-1334924127.jpg

post-5361-1334924265.jpg

post-5361-1334924520.jpg

Attaching the clutch to engine

post-5361-1334924818.jpg

post-5361-1334924645.jpg

Putting on the getrag 220 gearbox

post-5361-1334922732.jpg

New engine (m52b28) with attached getrag 220 gearbox ready for craning in!

post-5361-1334925006.jpg

post-5361-1334925334.jpg

post-5361-1334925105.jpg

post-5361-1334925211.jpg

In she goes!

post-5361-1334925546.jpg

Finally sits nicely on e36 mounting arms :mellow:

post-5361-1334925765.jpg

Replaced m52 intake manifold and m52 throttle body with m50 ones and took out the m52 loom ready for the m50 loom.

So that's basically where i'm up to at the moment. Waiting on a pedal box and a mk2 golf brake booster to fit. Once i get more time ill get more done on this beauty and post more progress up =)

BIG thanks to Luke (Boost Junky) for countless hours working on this car with me; And Kerry from Hamilton Mosen Euro parts for all the parts to make this awesome machine run and lots of help and input!

Heres a clip of the engine's first starting! Enjoy :)

Edited by Jamie W

Nice man! .. feels great when you get the engine finally rested and in place aye!

Let me know if you need the firewall relocation plates for the booster.

Very nice!

Heck, looks tedious slotting that motor in on the E30s! One thing I like about the E36 is the whole front can come off, makes sliding an engine in and out so much easier.

Nice man! .. feels great when you get the engine finally rested and in place aye!

Let me know if you need the firewall relocation plates for the booster.

Hey thanks! oh yea! especially when it initially lines up with the mounts and just slipps on with a bit of a jiggle =D oh ok? how important is the relocation plates if the booster fits in perfectly as the e30 one does? Is it needed? Cheers =)

Very nice!

Heck, looks tedious slotting that motor in on the E30s! One thing I like about the E36 is the whole front can come off, makes sliding an engine in and out so much easier.

yea! very tedious actually. It had e39 mounting arms on it too which made it a little harder as well as being wrong arms <_< a lot of wrigling and twisting to get it in. oh wow that wud make it so much easier! just bolt on and off is it?

yea! very tedious actually. It had e39 mounting arms on it too which made it a little harder as well as being wrong arms <_< a lot of wrigling and twisting to get it in. oh wow that wud make it so much easier! just bolt on and off is it?

Gahh I bet, quite a tense time with 200kgs odd dangling in the air on a precarious angle! Yeah when swapped the motor in my car the whole front came off like so, it all just unbolts, made it a little bit less stressful!

Posted Image

Gahh I bet, quite a tense time with 200kgs odd dangling in the air on a precarious angle! Yeah when swapped the motor in my car the whole front came off like so, it all just unbolts, made it a little bit less stressful!

Posted Image

haha lots of fun still :D on a crane that im putting full trust in :P oh thats a really awesome, another genious BMW idea ^_^ How did your project end out?

oh ok? how important is the relocation plates if the booster fits in perfectly as the e30 one does? Is it needed? Cheers =)

On an S50 I needed to move mine over 40mm towards the side of the car .. Im not sure of yours I dont think you have the problem with the plenium as I did. Your UK MK2 1.3 golf booster will most likely be enough.

This is what I did. Used two stainless plates infront and behind the firewall for the booster and MC setup.

(from here) http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....24294&st=75

more on the painting of here http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=325193

Posted Image

Posted Image

On an S50 I needed to move mine over 40mm towards the side of the car .. Im not sure of yours I dont think you have the problem with the plenium as I did. Your UK MK2 1.3 golf booster will most likely be enough.

This is what I did. Used two stainless plates infront and behind the firewall for the booster and MC setup.

(from here) http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....24294&st=75

more on the painting of here http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=325193

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh cool i see. Yea well when i finally get around to it ill let you know whether ill need them or not =) Thanks heaps for that! and man your booster came out looking amazing! Looks like you had a really fun project yourself.

i got a m52 in my e30, with the booster setup i used a porshe booster, bolted straight up and works like a charm. didnt need the relocation kit, that golf booster your using should do the same.

have you done anything to the exhaust manifolds yet? would like to see how thats been sorted if you wouldnt mind

i got a m52 in my e30, with the booster setup i used a porshe booster, bolted straight up and works like a charm. didnt need the relocation kit, that golf booster your using should do the same.

have you done anything to the exhaust manifolds yet? would like to see how thats been sorted if you wouldnt mind

oh nice! how do you find the m52 personally? and oh awesome, ill keep an eye out for a porshe one too then if i cant find a mk2 one =) Thanks. And with the manifolds I'm using the same ones it came with but having to extend them a little bit. I have a bit of help from Luke (Boostjunky) who knows a bit more about it then i do so when i get it started ill keep track of it and post it up here =)

oh nice! how do you find the m52 personally? and oh awesome, ill keep an eye out for a porshe one too then if i cant find a mk2 one =) Thanks. And with the manifolds I'm using the same ones it came with but having to extend them a little bit. I have a bit of help from Luke (Boostjunky) who knows a bit more about it then i do so when i get it started ill keep track of it and post it up here =)

he used Porsche 944. M52 swap is definately worth it, arguably the best bang for buck swap on an E30

he used Porsche 944. M52 swap is definately worth it, arguably the best bang for buck swap on an E30

Sweet, thanks Andy ill have a look for one =) and yea i feel like its definitely gonna be all worth all the effort and time not to mention $$ once its done :D Cant wait to see how it runs :)

Sweet all sorted! I must say TBH it was a pain in the ass re-routing the brake lines for it. Nothing to bad however it did take a mate of mine a few days to get it perfect including removing the horrible pre face lift bias distro valve and buying all the tools to do so etc.

forgive if im seeing this wrong but did the brake line get made from steel or copper? you cant cert copper tubing anymore according to LTSA

You talking about his or mine? Mine is already certed for the stock break line mods. These pictures don't show the final work. Its 1000 times more tidy.

as andy said the 944 booster, and yea i think the m52 swap is great. its cheap and you get lots from it. with my exhaust manifolds it was too close to the steering colum, so yours may need to be slightly modified to fit.

and just out of curiosity, what diff ratio are you planning on running? my 3.25 is far to long

forgive if im seeing this wrong but did the brake line get made from steel or copper? you cant cert copper tubing anymore according to LTSA

I'm pretty sure its copper tubing... would it matter just being for that little bit? Dam maybe they're a little more flexible down here =D

as andy said the 944 booster, and yea i think the m52 swap is great. its cheap and you get lots from it. with my exhaust manifolds it was too close to the steering colum, so yours may need to be slightly modified to fit.

and just out of curiosity, what diff ratio are you planning on running? my 3.25 is far to long

yea i found my exhaust manifold was hitting on the small cross bar on the mounting arm so we just took it off. and also it is very close if not touching the steering column so it will be modified but apparently Luke knows how that works. And not sure of the ratio sorry. will find that out soon :) Thanks

I've just picked up an M52B28 myself. :0

how are you going to run this, OBD2 or OBD1 Conversion?

We are running OBD1 gear inc trigger wheel, only have the original M52 coil packs + injectors.

Since when can you not cert copper bundy tube? I've never had issues certing this stuff however its been a good 4 years since my last cert. My previous employer (Partmaster) sells it as does the brake shop across the road, perhaps its only good for cars that are already complied for NZ roads.

We have used a E32 735i brake booster which is meant to be the smallest OD booster that bolts up, i'm sorry to say but it still interferes with the intake manifold as did the mkII golf brake booster on my M50 turbo conversion. I rectified this problem by rasing the intake side mount with washers, I just dont understand how no one else has ran into this issue? Either im using the wrong mounts or going crazy...

I have had to cut and weld the the rear exhaust manifold then bend it inwards towards the block to get sufficient clearance of the steering arm, still developing my welding skills so made a slight mess of the manifold (doesnt help when someone gives you carbon steel tig rods instead of stainless rods <_<

Very close to starting this beast up (hopefully tonight). Attempted this on the weekend but it would not ignite, general theory is that we have the wrong trigger wheel for the crank angle sensor or a fried ECU, here's hopeing not the later.

Another interesting issue we have ran into is the gearbox not holding 2nd or 4th gear, we found that the gbox/shifter sits slightly too far back and it touches on the rear of the hole in the tunnel where the shifter comes up into the cabin. I have a suspicious feeling this is due to the 'front on' where some young clowns were drunk and pulled out in front of Jamie one night. Maybe the chasis has buckled/shortened a few mm?

Watch this space!

Another interesting issue we have ran into is the gearbox not holding 2nd or 4th gear, we found that the gbox/shifter sits slightly too far back and it touches on the rear of the hole in the tunnel where the shifter comes up into the cabin. I have a suspicious feeling this is due to the 'front on' where some young clowns were drunk and pulled out in front of Jamie one night. Maybe the chasis has buckled/shortened a few mm?

what gearbox and shifter parts are you using.

maybe they are the 4cyl ones (longer)

We have used a E32 735i brake booster which is meant to be the smallest OD booster that bolts up, i'm sorry to say but it still interferes with the intake manifold as did the mkII golf brake booster on my M50 turbo conversion. I rectified this problem by rasing the intake side mount with washers, I just dont understand how no one else has ran into this issue? Either im using the wrong mounts or going crazy...

Mine was just touching the manifold using the same booster (E32), but I slotted the firewall holes diagonally to move it down and across to gain some clearance room. So it could be a combination of that and the mounts you are using. I used E34 mounts iirc (M20 ones)

the agreed mounts to use by most conversion guys is E36 M5x arms and E28 M30/S38 rubber mounts.

PM user E30ftw and find out what linkage he used, he had a Getrag 220 box on the back of his M50 E30. user Sasha now has thins car, he may also know.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_