Sign in to follow this  
efp0wa

New key arrived

Hi all,

I ordered a new diamond full remote key for my 2000 e46 318i wagon about 10 days ago as my current one was missing internal peices apart from the transponder.

The key turned up today and its just a 1 button key that isn't what I ordered or needed.

I require the full remote 3 button key as I'd the Key/Car memory set to how I require.

Anyway, the parts guy tells me that when the VIN code is entered int the parts system the only key option available for my BMW is a key with a single button...

He is going to speak to BMW tommorow (apparently), what do you guys think?

I guess there's a possibility that he does or does not know what he is talking about.

How much did they charge? The cheap key price? You'd hate to pay the remote price for the cheap key!

Does the button do anything? I think remote locking was standard, but some Jap imports were infrared, instead of Radio.

I'm not knowledgable in the area, but I'd think they've stuffed up your order - not the first time it's happened with keys!

Allanw: He told me $270 when I went in to collect it, originally it was going to be around $500. I never paid a deposit and I did not take the key.

My E46 is NZ New.

Ari Gold: Haven Motors in Nelson, as far as I know the only BMW dealer in the region.

I was told before I ordered mine that there was no way to check the EWS matched the VIN and that if it was ever changed out the key i ordered would not work. I said I would risk it.

Guest Ari Gold

I was told before I ordered mine that there was no way to check the EWS matched the VIN and that if it was ever changed out the key i ordered would not work. I said I would risk it.

The ews controller is stamped with the vin, pretty easy to see if it's been swapped out or not.

Edited by Ari Gold

The ews controller is stamped with the vin, pretty easy to see if it's been swapped out or not.

I'm going to check this shortly

Will be interesting to see their response... As I say, I'm not familiar with the ordereing etc, but You should be able to have the remote key. The prices sound about right for the dealer.

I have a sneaking suspicion they have ordered you the wrong one and they proably want to sell it to you anyway :rolleyes:

They are talking shite. Your car would have originally come with four keys:

Two master - full remote

One Service

One Valet

This regardless of origin. Jap still the same but for IR remote operation rather than RF

They are talking shite. Your car would have originally come with four keys:

Two master - full remote

One Service

One Valet

This regardless of origin. Jap still the same but for IR remote operation rather than RF

I told them this also.

Will be interesting to see their response... As I say, I'm not familiar with the ordereing etc, but You should be able to have the remote key. The prices sound about right for the dealer.

I have a sneaking suspicion they have ordered you the wrong one and they proably want to sell it to you anyway :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned they can give it t me for free with the remote key considering the stuff around

Allanw: He told me $270 when I went in to collect it, originally it was going to be around $500. I never paid a deposit and I did not take the key.

My E46 is NZ New.

Ari Gold: Haven Motors in Nelson, as far as I know the only BMW dealer in the region.

they arent a BMW dealer

It's of absolutely no use to them anyway, and it could be considered a security risk. Either they give it to you, or you watch them destroy it - REALLY destroy it - grinder, vicegrips, gas torch etc.

Edited by Allanw

they arent a BMW dealer

Yes, they are actually.

Anyway, went in today as I hadn't heard from them and I spoke to the Parts Manager. He found the correct full remote key in about 20 seconds, ordered it, appologised and said he'd speak to/try to train the other parts guy and then gave me the incorrectly ordered key for nothing.

Happy now.

Yes, they are actually.

Anyway, went in today as I hadn't heard from them and I spoke to the Parts Manager. He found the correct full remote key in about 20 seconds, ordered it, appologised and said he'd speak to/try to train the other parts guy and then gave me the incorrectly ordered key for nothing.

Happy now.

Great result George

Just tried the key they ordered by accident, won't start the car...does it need programming? This is the key wheRe the BMW button turns on a l.e.d. Light on the key

Edited by efp0wa

Shouldn't need programming to start the car. If the key was ordered from the vehicles VIN & it operates the ign switch then it should start the car:-

A full remote key does require programming to the car to operate the locking side. This can be done by the owner.

I thought you said this key they supplied was non remote - no button?.

As I said earlier - the car was originally issued with 4 keys: Two master - full remote, one service & one valet - neither of which are remote or have buttons - only the EWS chip

Oh really?

Not according to BMW NZ. I think they might have been a while back, but not anymore.

Good result for you on the key though, nice for someone to front up to their mistake and put it right for a change.

That's a good outcome. Hopefully they get it right this time.

Shouldn't need programming to start the car. If the key was ordered from the vehicles VIN & it operates the ign switch then it should start the car:-

A full remote key does require programming to the car to operate the locking side. This can be done by the owner.

I thought you said this key they supplied was non remote - no button?.

As I said earlier - the car was originally issued with 4 keys: Two master - full remote, one service & one valet - neither of which are remote or have buttons - only the EWS chip

The key has a button that when held on activates a light. It unlocks car and turns ignition but will not crank motor.

The key has a button that when held on activates a light. It unlocks car and turns ignition but will not crank motor.

Ok it works now.... :blink: :blink: :mellow:

Ok it works now.... :blink: :blink: :mellow:

Oh...no it doesn't really. Works if 3 button key issuing internals apart from transponder starts car and then the Ned torch key works. But didn't work when I tried it first hand.

Activates a light - what - illumination for keyhole type light? Not aware of any of these keys having this, earlier non EWS cars did.

When you say "unlocks the car" you mean manually rather than remote I assume? It turns on ign but wont crank - will mean that it is not chipped, or atleast not talking to the car.

Oh...no it doesn't really. Works if 3 button key issuing internals apart from transponder starts car and then the Ned torch key works. But didn't work when I tried it first hand.

You mean if you start the car with your original key, turn it off, remove then immediately start it with the new key?

Never tried but in that sequence that may well happen if the new key is not chipped, or not programmed.

Post a pic of this key you have:-