Sign in to follow this  
FallenOneGee

HELP PLEASE!

I've been looking on this forum + Google for a few hours now ( sorry if I've some how missed it, or its a dum question/s)

Okay here is the problem: Quite long I know sorry. The more info the more someone could help I'm thinking :D

I have a 730iL 1995,

Just got it a few weeks back now and didn't like the CD player, Wanted USB/iPod etc. So went and brought a new headunit with USB etc. I took out the stock Headunit thingy with an allen key on both sides of it lol. (There is also a the little unit next to what was the stock radio, which had the EQ kind of stuff in it the last time I used it and also below them both is the long unit which displays the time, and what was on the radio, CD, etc) Not sure what they called, but hope that helped.

I've distinguished what was the CD changer cable, quite a flash looking thing. Also the aerial for the radio part.

I cut the wires for what I pulled out that were for it, because the wiring harness from BMW didn't match the CD Player etc. (BMW has a weird one btw :L) and I managed to find the power, negative, and whatever else wires needed it for it to power the new headunit. So it turns on and all now.

But it's forever on. Meaning to turn off the new headunit I need to eject the faceplate, to turn it on just put it back on. ( Regardless of the ignitions state ). Which I know is wrong ( So any help as to finding the ignition wire would be greatly appreciated ).

However, I tried forever trying to find where the speaker wires were with the remaining cables. I know the head units cables are working because now atm I have 2 6x9's sitting on the floor at the back of the front seats as my sound as I just got extra long cables and went through the back to the head unit ( very messy job I know ) but that's how I have been listening to my new headunit these past few days, NOT with the stock/standard 2 front, 2 rear speakers...

So could anyone help me with wiring my stock/standard speakers up to the new headunit...

There is still a few cords left over not doing anything as I do not know where they go too..

Does anyone know the colour codes of the wires for the speakers and so forth, or any diagrams..

I have downloaded over a dozen online but all seem to be for something totally different then the stereo wiring side.

HELP!

PLEEEASEE!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Edited by FALLEN_NZ

I've been looking on this forum + Google for a few hours now ( sorry if I've some how missed it, or its a dum question/s)

Okay here is the problem: Quite long I know sorry. The more info the more someone could help I'm thinking :D

I have a 730iL 1995,

Just got it a few weeks back now and didn't like the CD player, Wanted USB/iPod etc. So went and brought a new headunit with USB etc. I took out the stock Headunit thingy with an allen key on both sides of it lol. (There is also a the little unit next to what was the stock radio, which had the EQ kind of stuff in it the last time I used it and also below them both is the long unit which displays the time, and what was on the radio, CD, etc) Not sure what they called, but hope that helped.

I've distinguished what was the CD changer cable, quite a flash looking thing. Also the aerial for the radio part.

I cut the wires for what I pulled out that were for it, because the wiring harness from BMW didn't match the CD Player etc. (BMW has a weird one btw :L) and I managed to find the power, negative, and whatever else wires needed it for it to power the new headunit. So it turns on and all now.

But it's forever on. Meaning to turn off the new headunit I need to eject the faceplate, to turn it on just put it back on. ( Regardless of the ignitions state ). Which I know is wrong ( So any help as to finding the ignition wire would be greatly appreciated ).

However, I tried forever trying to find where the speaker wires were with the remaining cables. I know the head units cables are working because now atm I have 2 6x9's sitting on the floor at the back of the front seats as my sound as I just got extra long cables and went through the back to the head unit ( very messy job I know ) but that's how I have been listening to my new headunit these past few days, NOT with the stock/standard 2 front, 2 rear speakers...

So could anyone help me with wiring my stock/standard speakers up to the new headunit...

There is still a few cords left over not doing anything as I do not know where they go too..

Does anyone know the colour codes of the wires for the speakers and so forth, or any diagrams..

I have downloaded over a dozen online but all seem to be for something totally different then the stereo wiring side.

HELP!

PLEEEASEE!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Seriously, after all that, I suggest you take it to an Auto Sparky to connect it properly.

You can easily stuff all sorts if you get connections wrong, eg ibus circuit

Seriously, after all that, I suggest you take it to an Auto Sparky to connect it properly.

You can easily stuff all sorts if you get connections wrong, eg ibus circuit

unless its an E23, i wouldnt be wanting to play with the electrics of any 7 series!

Hmph. Figured as much. But even with my maori-fied job ( Yip I'm maori haha ) Will it cost extra for them to fix it up etc..

unless its an E23, i wouldnt be wanting to play with the electrics of any 7 series!

He has the car as 95, E38 came out in 94, hence me assuming it's E38

You cut the harness?! FFS, not a good move.

Take it to a sparky and get it done right, you obviously arent cut out for the task.

I think you're going to need help on this one. You'll need to do a bit more than just cut and shut the plug on for a new head-unit.

If you need a wiring harness, go to edsautos.co.nz . They supply most car audio shops and are the harness / steering remote gurus

I have a 730iL 1995,

HELP!

PLEEEASEE!

THANKS AGAIN!!

youve probably solved this but you probably have youre 12volt constant and 12 volt accesory the wrong way around

(trying to help people on this forum :P )

and also added complications of a factory amplifier.

sparky for anyone that doesnt understand why

Ever so slightly along the lines of this (Sorry for hijacking) My head unit wont hold settings. I understand this is a Constant wire problem. At the moment to turn it on I have wired in the headunit constant and ignition to the ignition switched power so when the cars on its on.

My problem within all of this is with the OEM unit it worked fine it saved settings etc. but with the updated unit it no longer has any volts running through it?

(Just an FYI, haven't cut the harness it has come to me with harness attached to the OEM radio and crimp plugs on the cables to attach and detach.

Ever so slightly along the lines of this (Sorry for hijacking) My head unit wont hold settings. I understand this is a Constant wire problem. At the moment to turn it on I have wired in the headunit constant and ignition to the ignition switched power so when the cars on its on.

My problem within all of this is with the OEM unit it worked fine it saved settings etc. but with the updated unit it no longer has any volts running through it?

(Just an FYI, haven't cut the harness it has come to me with harness attached to the OEM radio and crimp plugs on the cables to attach and detach.

Why don't you wire the head unit constant to the car's constant like it should be? Im unsure where the puzzle is in this. Some head units, usually original; have a memory that doesnt require constant power.

Why don't you wire the head unit constant to the car's constant like it should be? Im unsure where the puzzle is in this. Some head units, usually original; have a memory that doesnt require constant power.

Might not have asid it right, I have had it wired to the constant and it doesnt work. Cars constant no longer seems to have power running through it.

Might not have asid it right, I have had it wired to the constant and it doesnt work. Cars constant no longer seems to have power running through it.

Oh k. Well nonetheless does that not tell you to thus diagnose fault with constant 12v, and then take the necessary course of action be it make a new 12v or fix the old?

Apologies OP for 'jack.

Have a look on here http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release...38new/index.htm hit complete vehicle and find audio cd etc it may give you some idea of how large a can or worms you have opened plus how expensive that snip could be. Even the early sevens are not a vehicle you want to be poking and cutting wires on as I fear you are about to find out best of luck getting it sorted.