Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Carry a FIRE EXTINGUISHER

can i just say to everyone...carry a fire extinguisher with you. It will be the best $30 you have ever spent in your life if you need to use it. i had a wee incident last nite, and if i hadnt had my extinguisher in my hand, things would have been a sh*t load worse. as it stands, everything seems ok but i need to pull some bits out first.

just get one, i cannot emphasize it enough, and i know its hard to comprehend if you have never had an engine bay fire, but just do it

Word bro. I no what you mean.

That sucks aye, what happened electrical or fuel? something always seems to go wrong aye. Oh well sh*t happens but al least you were prepared!!

There's a sticky f/ex thread in the group buy / sponsors section

F/ex's are your friend

Gus, I can't even begin think of the countless possibilities of what you did

:lol: This is assuming you don't want an easy insurance cash up :D

so far, im guessing leaking fuel injector......flames were about a metre high :D

haha nothing to show, got to the fire just as it started so no damage...just a whole lotta white powder

Pics or ban.

im pretty sure ul find on his list of things to grab at the time, an extinguisher was above a camera!!

You can get em pretty cheap at repco etc. just a matter of mounting it somewhere i guess..Boot any good?

You can get em pretty cheap at repco etc. just a matter of mounting it somewhere i guess..Boot any good?

Boot is no good.. Try to mount somewhere within reach of the driver ie. in front of seats but out of the way enough. Fires can erupt pretty quickly and get away on you.

Did some more research..

Seemingly powder extinguishers do more damage to the car, as they corrode metal and wiring. Halon would apparently be best..

Also for the E36's...

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/interior/...tinguisher.html

http://www.gloria.co.uk/products/P1GMP2GM.htm

Edit: hahah "Under the Ozone Layer Protection Act 1996, it is illegal to use or maintain Halon extinguishers. More information can be found here."

http://www.fire.org.nz/home_kids/tips/extinguishers.htm

Even law promotes fires. Awesome

Edited by Dnz

if you have a fire in the car i think the possibility of corrosion or wire damage from the powder is the least of your worries.....must get one on the front seat rails like cain...

My install is a bit less sophisticated than that. It lives in its box, loose in the left hand rear footwell. Fits the footwell perfectly with the seat right back (so it doesn't clunk around) and saves undoing clips etc.

Here is mine. Best place for it.

I'm more concerned about saving myself than the car. If I am conscious, I should be able to set it off.

post-2-1121286914.jpg

Edited by cainchapman

however with that system how would you aim at the actual fire? i do like it, but would it be as effective as targeting the actual cause of the fire?

just installed 2nd extinguisher today. paranoia anyone?

just installed 2nd extinguisher today. paranoia anyone?

You can never be tooooo careful eh...

one for each hand! :mosh:

That E28s system looks good, but Im with gus on this one - how effective would it be if the fire is down low in the engine bay?

On the other hand it may have an advantage because you can activate it without opening the bonnet = less oxygen for the fire in the first place.

The car it is on deserves a bit more protection average

your so right mate i know what you mean, i did when smoke came out of my boot....

That system would definately work better than pointing an extinguisher through the grill before opening the bonnet.

I've got one horizontal under my seat and i'm going to put in a second under the passenger seat aswell for good measure.

Can never be to cautious.