Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Steering rack replacement - HELP!

So I just failed my WoF on "play in the steering" at both ends, and the mechanics were most unhelpful with suggestions as to what it could be.

So if anyone could give any advice, and ideas on how to locate and troubleshoot the problem that would be much appreciated!

Cheers :)

Edited by huff3r

Just done the wheel bearing literally just before the WoF so better not be that, but I'll have a look.

Cheers

jack teh front of teh car up , grab one of the front wheels wiggle wheel side to side to see if there is any play .

if its up and down movement normally a wheel bearing , side to side play normally means rack ends or tierod ends etc

jack teh front of teh car up , grab one of the front wheels wiggle wheel side to side to see if there is any play .

if its up and down movement normally a wheel bearing , side to side play normally means rack ends or tierod ends etc

So I did this today and there is definitely the teensiest bit of side to side play, but there is also absolutely no hesitation or noticeable play if you turn the steering wheel.

Any way to narrow down exactly which part it is? Tie rods or steering rack or something else?

You will need the car on the ground, wheels centre -get one person to move (toggle) steering wheel left to right, while from undeneath - feel which joint there is movement in - inner or outer tie rod joints, or play in the rack itself. Being that it is in both ends - shouldn't be the rack itself

Ok so it was the steering rack itself apparently. Now I'm in the process of swapping it over for another, but the Universal Joint won't come off the pinion on the old rack, and I can't figure out how to get it off, nor how to manoeuvre the rack out of the car?! Seems there is no space between the sump and the mounting brackets.

Anyone have any tips? I really want to get this sorted today so I can finally get my WoF!

Ok so it was the steering rack itself apparently. Now I'm in the process of swapping it over for another, but the Universal Joint won't come off the pinion on the old rack, and I can't figure out how to get it off, nor how to manoeuvre the rack out of the car?! Seems there is no space between the sump and the mounting brackets.

Anyone have any tips? I really want to get this sorted today so I can finally get my WoF!

Having recently done the same thing, the steering joint can be a bit stubborn but you should be able to get it off with multiple wacks with a big screwdriver (or maybe something similar that wont damage the alloy) and a big hammer.

You need to bend down the tabs the rack is mounted on to get it out then bend them back up once the new rack is in.

Edited by slideways

A couple of possible hints:

Make sure the pinch bolt on the joint is removed. It not only pinches up the splines but also locates in a grove so has to be removed to release propperly.

Ive seen people bend the rack tabs down to get the rack out, not a elegent solution but.. Also before resorting to that try sliding the rack out sideways, no idea if it will work tho.

A couple of possible hints:

Make sure the pinch bolt on the joint is removed. It not only pinches up the splines but also locates in a grove so has to be removed to release propperly.

Ive seen people bend the rack tabs down to get the rack out, not a elegent solution but.. Also before resorting to that try sliding the rack out sideways, no idea if it will work tho.

Cant go out sideways as the pinion gets in the way. Hadn't thought of bending the tabs but I guess that'll work :D

All sorted now, thanks heaps guys :D. Can't believe I spent 3 hours wrestling with it when it was that simple :(