Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

m50 and m52 differances?

is there any differances between the m52 block and the m50 block apart from alloy and iron??

ive got a m52b28 bottom end and want to build a iron block 2.8l to put some boost into. ive spent countless hours searching to confirm this but i cant find an anwser.

cheers for any help and if someone knows alot about turbo m50s i would love a bit of knowledge

yes you can switch all the rotating assembly over

a bit of effort for .3L

what are your goals powerwise? how far do you wanna go in terms of building the engine, and also engine management.

basically, how big is your wallet

Thanks for confirming that, will hopefully be getting a m50 block to start work on soon, need to sort out my daily first

i know its alot of effort for not much in return but i want to build something and since i got the b28 block with a knackered head i thought why not.

the first setup will most likely just be swap everything over, clean everything up, replace bearings and rings, fit head and possibly main studs and a thicker cometic headgasket just to build the running setup and get everything basically tuned in and setup. after a while i might redo the whole thing but not at this stage.

the power figure is 300kw atw at this stage, not overly high compared to alot of other m50bxx turbo builds but its my target (for now).

ECU wise not sure exactly, was going to try with the factory computer and see how that goes other wise ill have to do more research and find what will be best bang for buck, but thats later on

plan is for abit of a sleeper and for it to not just spin the rears when power comes on, it needs to go somewhere and use the power but grip will be dialed in and sorted once i have the engine running.

i've still got that 3L crank,rods and pistons out of the m54.

also 130mm rods and pistons from the m20.

.5L is better the .3L.

also for boost-i would stick the the iron block myself.

more heat and stress on every componant

.5L is better the .3L.

since ive already got the 2.8 internals ill just stick with them, and was planning on using the iron block but putting b28 internals in it. going to get a complete m50 then swap out the crank rods and pistons to make it a iron block m50b28

Talk to steve murch first.

and was definatly planning on it, just got a couple more things to do on the body then will be time for that.

he is crunchy on the forum right? (just making sure im thinking of the right person)

good luck.

I'm in the process of doing the same sort of thing (it's a long process).

Polley's last comment best describes it

.5L is better the .3L.

Marty... buddy... you have a m54 3l crank.... Please can you pm me the cost :)

is there any differances between the m52 block and the m50 block apart from alloy and iron??

ive got a m52b28 bottom end and want to build a iron block 2.8l to put some boost into. ive spent countless hours searching to confirm this but i cant find an anwser.

cheers for any help and if someone knows alot about turbo m50s i would love a bit of knowledge

as far as i am aware the m50 engine is only upto a 2.5l. the cast iron block will be far better to boost as the are stronger but still i would risk no more then 9psi without farther modification.the best options would be to go with the m50b25 possibly without vanos also the m50 have larger intake ports on the manifold which are also a common thing with most forced applications.

im planning on using the m52b28 internals to basically stoke it out to 2.8, but will keep the cast iron block, need to lower the compression at the same time and a few other basic things.

have heard you can get 500 horse on a stock block b25 block with only a thicker head gasket, but still yet to confirm that

Don't forget to factor in the costs of ecu, tune, exhaust manifold, exhaust, fittings, head studs, fuel pump, injectors clutch, broken parts, etc

I'm starting to find it adds up

do you or anyone else need a turbo manifold , turbo , plumbing and intercooler for a m50 or m52 etc

have one here