Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

DD suggestions for 5-600kms a week

Thanks Ron, the 530d would certainly be my choice and it will come down to whether I can convince the wife ;) She wants a new kitchen I want the car !

Clinton, you make a compelling arguement for an e46 320d I have to say. I wonder if I could get in one.

Westy, I cant say for sure it was 8.0. It may have been 8.9 which is 9 as far as Im concerned but it definitely started with an 8. I saw 28-30mpg in my 740i regularly on the open road. Around town of course was a very different story, but if your door to door is just open road, which mine will be pretty much then something in the 9's is very much achievable.

Stephen, as astute as ever my friend.

Go for a 530d They are excellent on the open road which is where it will spend most of its time, they are also quite a big car (commodore/failcon size)

I like the 540 and the power if diving open road. However I put 60,000 km a year in a hiace and I like the diesel.

Not saying buy a van but toyota or euro diesel. We have a skoda at work octavia goes ok rather the hiace.

The superb is superb. We also have a captiva.............it is awfull. and averages 10-12l/100ks.

I'm not sure how enjoyable a 540 would be trying to keep economy down. I tried for a while now I realise I'd rather pay the extra $3-4/100k's and just drive. mine sits at around 10-12.5/100km plant boot at will.

Atleast I arive happy.

We also have a captiva.............it is awfull. and averages 10-12l/100ks.

Funny thing, I was talking to someone else about those on the weekend and they have a new one (3 months old) and they think it's like driving an excavator.

I like the 540 and the power if diving open road. However I put 60,000 km a year in a hiace and I like the diesel.

Not saying buy a van but toyota or euro diesel. We have a skoda at work octavia goes ok rather the hiace.

The superb is superb.

Has Toyota EVER made a good diesel??? Our Hiace is a giant bag of arse! 2007 model, 10l/100 kms, mostly open road, mostly empty. It feels like it's about 1/2 the power of the Ford Tramsit loaner we had while the Toyota was in for repairs (again!).

The LandCruiser 24 valve diesel was wicked. The next V8 had probs but has since been sorted... Unsure about the smaller diesels

Has Toyota EVER made a good diesel??? Our Hiace is a giant bag of arse! 2007 model, 10l/100 kms, mostly open road, mostly empty. It feels like it's about 1/2 the power of the Ford Tramsit loaner we had while the Toyota was in for repairs (again!).

My Hiace is 2010 (dec) has the 20% more torque and over 20% more horsies. yet to click over 100k but had no issues as yet. I have heard the transits are good though. Must I remind you of where the transit is made. Its not a yank ford. It's euro designed and made for europe. As for Toyota diesels I believe they are reliable. All ways a lemon in the mix somewhere.

My Hiace is 2010 (dec) has the 20% more torque and over 20% more horsies. hey are reliable. All ways a lemon in the mix somewhere.

The extra power has to help - ours is seriously average! Some of the passing lanes going north take all of it's power just to keep at 100ish, flag passing anything!

I had heard the injector issues weren't so bad on newer ones. 3 replacements under warranty is pretty ridiculous and common around our year (Hiluxes too) and the injectors were about $800 each for the part! Historically, there was the 2CT and 3CT, the 2LT and the 3L (to a lesser extent) which tended to eat heads. Their track record is pretty average.

I don't know how long the Transits last for (I do wonder to be honest!), but it had so much torque, I could pass trucks in 6th on a short straight, where I would never consider it in the Hiace. It used the same amount of gas too. Strangely though, super easy to stall - usually diesels are harder. Traction is terrible in them too - the inside rear wheel will spin at random times, and it's super easy to get stuck!

I dunno what we're getting next time, yet - prolly a VW, which I imagine isn't to flash on the reliability front either, but man do they haul! Maybe a Hyundai (the dealer we use for other vehicles is VW, Hyundai), but we're thinking high roof this time, so our stuff can stand up if we want, so the Hyundai would be out.

Anyway, we're getting off topic (I do it a LOT :ph34r:). It's often cheaper to maintain an old car, than the capital cost difference in upgrading. If reliability is way on your list of concerns, newer is generally better, but if you can get by for a day or two, older can be cheaper long term.

They're are way way over rated IMO. They aren't as reliable as they make out and they are way down on power compared to rivals. BMW, pick up ya game & make a van!

Posted Image

Edited by The Diesel Guy

BMW, pick up ya game & make a van!

They just about have! :D

Posted Image

They're are way way over rated IMO. They aren't as reliable as they make out and they are way down on power compared to rivals. BMW, pick up ya game & make a van!

Posted Image

This actually look pretty good!

This actually look pretty good!

i think your eyes are broken