Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

1996 E39 528i in black

I miss my E39, yours looks awesome :)

You're probably talking about Darren's M5 but I'll take the compliment... Mine looks pretty much the same on the outside (from the front at least!)

Looks sweet, very stealth like.

Those are also the best BBS wheels IMO.

The RSIIs or the LMs (I think?) on Darren's M5? I love my RSIIs but the deep dish on Darren's wheels is worth coveting!

Pretty happy with the exterior now but got a few bits and pieces that still need doing. Trying to prioritise them is hard though... There are some which I know are completely unnecessary (like recolouring the interior) and quite expensive, but I really want to do them. There are others that ought to be done to keep the car in mint condition... This is my current to do list, welcome to hear thoughts on what to prioritise:

Exterior:

Fix a few small dents and respray door (some key scratches that couldn't be touched up perfectly).

Replace badly painted (by previous owner) kidneys with paint-matched PFL kidneys.

Remove eyelashes and replace with lower E38 style eyelids.

Replace chrome strip door and bumper trim with genuine shadow line.

Interior:

Replace right rear door card.

Replace lumbar support in driver's seat.

Recolour leather to cinnamon.

Install sport steering wheel (I actually prefer the styling of the standard four spoke wheel it's just a little big).

Repair roof lining - it's in good shape generally but is just starting to come away beneath sun visors.

Identify which door seals are leaking - weirdly the ones that are visibly damaged dont leak and the ones that look mint I find water on the kick plates after rain... Go figure?!

Mechanical:

Replace fuel injector (one of them not perfect after cleaning, so planning to swap with a new or mint one)

Identify cold start issues and fix them - possibly replace vanos seal

Once all that's done the car'll be just about good as new... Now to start saving up!

EDIT: After catching up with Brent today going to replace thermostat and check/replace PCV and hoses.

Edited by jeffbebe

Identify which door seals are leaking - weirdly the ones that are visibly damaged dont leak and the ones that look mint I find water on the kick plates after rain... Go figure?!

If it's the rear doors in particular, it's probably the inner door seal sheet thingee - they are a moulded palstic liner that's stuck onto the inside, and water sneakes past them and leaks out between the door body and the inner door card. It sits on the kick plates, or if really bad, leaks into the rear footwells. The just need resealing, either with the correct tape from BMW, or butyl type sealer or similar. I used Wurth Dab-Off Glass Sealer - it doesn't set entirely, so you can still get the liner off to repair the window regulators when they break.

If it's the rear doors in particular, it's probably the inner door seal sheet thingee - they are a moulded palstic liner that's stuck onto the inside, and water sneakes past them and leaks out between the door body and the inner door card. It sits on the kick plates, or if really bad, leaks into the rear footwells. The just need resealing, either with the correct tape from BMW, or butyl type sealer or similar. I used Wurth Dab-Off Glass Sealer - it doesn't set entirely, so you can still get the liner off to repair the window regulators when they break.

Yep, I thought that after I posted! Going to take the door cards off anyway soon to re-dye the leather so I'll seal up the vapour seals then. Where did you get the Wurth dab-off? Took a look in my local Mitre 10 but they only had full on silicone adhesive sealants.

Oh yeah... 350 pounds...

interesting interior

I almost bought an interior exactly light that from fleabay but the shipping just made it a bit too expensive considering I couldn't view its condition before buying.

Not sure that colour's actually caramel - I think it's called Cinnamon Brown - it's okay but not my favourite. Caramel's very cool but I prefer the cinnamon.

Caramel looks like this:

Posted Image

And I'm going for this (or thereabouts):

Posted Image

Wurth are at 42 Hobill ave, manukau - they have reps all over the place though.

Your local garage may be able to get it with their next order. Maybe normal glass sealant (for rubber sealed windscreens is sticky enough???). The wurth stuff won't be cheap (not for one tube especially!). I usually get a bunch of stuff at once and it's not so bad.

this stuff is much thicker than I think it has, but is like the BMW stuff: Butyl Tape

Busy day... Wash and wax, took a bit of metal polish to the lips on my RSIIs, removed the headlight eyebrows (which I was never a big fan of) and fitted freshly painted (to match the car) PFL grille surrounds and lower eyelids (which have a 'factory' look that the upper ones don't IMHO).

Really happy with the exterior of the car now - though would still love to get the driver's door properly repainted and some sort of front bumper lip (either the ACS or Strassentech but they're a bit pricey).

post-16586-1358076211.jpeg

Sorry about the crap phone pic.

Black e39 is definitely on my must own list.. Love the wheels!

Black e39 is definitely on my must own list.. Love the wheels!

They're good looking cars and great to drive. Wheels look better in the flesh, but I'll try and take some better pics soon to show it off.

First coat of colour on spare leather skins went on today. Going to finish off and install next weekend - at the same time going to hopefully fix airbag light fault (dodgy seatbelt tensioner) and restore the original driver's seat base so the steering column adjustment works.

Also cleaned inside and outside plus gave the engine a good spruce up.

post-16586-1359883963.jpg

post-16586-1359884021.jpg

post-16586-1359884049.jpg

post-16586-1359884074.jpg

post-16586-1359884090.jpg

post-16586-1359884129.jpg

Posted Image

This car looks 10x better than most year 2000+ ones.

Really like this car!!!

This car looks 10x better than most year 2000+ ones.

Really like this car!!!

Cheers, the previous owner/s must've really looked after it and kept it garaged it's entire life. I've made a few aesthetic mods and the usual E39 repairs... Apart from that I just really like keeping it clean!