Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

"My Family"

If they get caught, it's just another fine (that won't get paid) to go on top of the fine for no WoF / Rego / Driver's License / driving while disqualified, that they will get for the third time anyway. No detterent there I'm afraid.

easiest way in NZ to get off paying fines is to just keep racking up so much that the court finally decides to just give you a couple hours of sitting around smoking weed, aka community service

if people can't pay fines and keep racking them up;

or if people crash into someone else and can't pay and have no insurance

don't let them get off with $1 a week for the rest of their lives, it means nothing

bankrupt them

that'll make them think twice about their actions

bankrupt them

How?

If you mean bankruptcy throught the system how do you think that would change anything?

If they've racked up that many fines or court orders from accidents with no insurance then how would bankruptcy affect that type of person? They more than likely didn't have any kind of credit rating to start with so what would they care?

easiest way in NZ to get off paying fines is to just keep racking up so much that the court finally decides to just give you a couple hours of sitting around smoking weed, aka community service

if people can't pay fines and keep racking them up;

or if people crash into someone else and can't pay and have no insurance

don't let them get off with $1 a week for the rest of their lives, it means nothing

bankrupt them

I’m not sure where you have done your community service you seem to know so much about but I have done community service a few times with the Papakura wardens and can tell you it’s nothing like that.

I can tell you that working off 40 hours of community service every Saturday while you mates were out at the beach with your girlfriend or 120 hours every Saturday of a Summer when you should be home with your family or doing chores you have to do or even catching up on work that needs to be done as well as giving up an entire summers worth of events, hell I had to submit a application for leave so I could have a day off to get married and then could not take a honey moon. When you go into doing that you are giving up more than your time, you are giving up your freedom, you are controlled by another human being, this is a blow if you are an independant adult.

It’s no fun and is a deterrent to me for sure when I think about doing something that could get me arrested and prosecuted!

I have also been on the receiving end of paying a insurance company for damages as I did not have insurance and that's no joke either, you do get held accountable (if you admit guilt, this is where you always need to call the Police if someone hits you and is not insured and another reason compulsory insurance would save money and time) and you will spend a lot of time paying them off, there is no $1 a week option, even people on a benefit and up with paying a decent amount and that is decided by WINZ and the company chasing the money. If you stop you get referred to bay corp and end up paying them as well as receiving a bad credit rating that will mar them for a long time.. everyone is accountable and i you do the wrong things you end up paying for it in the long run, having people chasing you and not being able to credit is not a fun way to spend life, unfortunately its a normal life for a lot of people.

I’m not sure where you have done your community service you seem to know so much about but I have done community service a few times with the Papakura wardens and can tell you it’s nothing like that.

I can tell you that working off 40 hours of community service every Saturday while you mates were out at the beach with your girlfriend or 120 hours every Saturday of a Summer when you should be home with your family or doing chores you have to do or even catching up on work that needs to be done as well as giving up an entire summers worth of events, hell I had to submit a application for leave so I could have a day off to get married and then could not take a honey moon. When you go into doing that you are giving up more than your time, you are giving up your freedom, you are controlled by another human being, this is a blow if you are an independant adult.

It’s no fun and is a deterrent to me for sure when I think about doing something that could get me arrested and prosecuted!

Sounds like most peoples' school/uni summer jobs...

Edited by NZ BMW

well in Upper Hutt it is pretty much just an hour of piss poor effort at shovelling followed by joints, with the guards turning a blind eye

how about the guy on tv3 news last night who said "who cares about the fine, they'll just put it on my tab"

I'm thinking that screwing them financially for years to come would sure as hell make them regret their actions. It's damn obvious that none of them care as it is. And it's obvious the courts are powerless to do anything that will actually change things.

If they have a crap credit rating already, then I'm amazed, because all those boyracers seem to have spent a lot of money on cars and doing up those cars. Either they have rich parents (make them pay the fines maybe?), they earn enough (make them pay the fine then), or they have enough credit to tick things up

fining them doesn't work

impounding their cars doesn't work

they've crushed 1 car so far in the couple years the law has been in place, and that hasn't deterred anyone

there's really not a lot of consequence

on another train of thought, how about getting these hoons to ride along with cops in the graveyard shifts on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, and get hassled when they pull over their mates and get spotted hanging out with the cops. Maybe even see a nasty accident and / or the damage caused by their stupidness.