Sign in to follow this  
qube

the age old debate: e46 choices

Hi everyone.

i recently sold my e36 coupe a while ago and now im thinking to buy a new car (borrowing friends car atm)

im looking at the e46 models..

i used to own a 1999 328ci about 3 years ago, it was a great car, the only thing i didnt like was it felt a bit heavy.

my budget is probably upto about 15k (at most) but would prefer to spend a bit less, around 10k?

have been looking at some 328ci's 330ci's 323/325i's and 330i's preferably motorsport.

im not too fussy about sedan or coupe, but if it was sedan it would have to be facelift motorsport version, and coupe the prefacelift motorsport or not.

Ive test driven some 330i sedan motorsports before and really enjoyed the ride, but its so difficult to find one at the price im looking for.

whats everyones thoughts on the e46 choice?

on a side note: i dont really mind e39 as well, there have been some really good ones pop up from time to time at good prices, would look at 530i motorsport if i had to pick.

thanks

Guest Ari Gold

You can pickup a facelift 330i Motorsport (with xenons, don't bother buying without) all day long at the moment for 15K. I can think of at least 5-6 cars that match your criteria that haven't moved on trademe in months.

i would "prefer" to spend less haha.. i know at the end of the day, you get what you pay for...

nevertheless..

but how is a pre fl coupe 330? see a couple for $12kish

Ive test driven some 330i sedan motorsports before and really enjoyed the ride, but its so difficult to find one at the price im looking for.

Might be worth checking if the "Motorsports" still have the M-Sport suspension in them, it is a commonly deleted option, so although an M-Sport edition it is running on standard suspension.

I know my wagon is definately on the M-Sport set up and I wouldn't describe the ride as enjoyable around town. Good on the open road though :rolleyes:

+1 330i with xenons. The sedans are heaps cheaper it seems.

The catch? They are all auto.

I actually went through a similar search recently (well, technically it was more like a long painful search). I really like my 330ci but needed more doors for the baby seat, so naturally liked the idea of an E46 facelift msport 330i for around $15k. Sadly, there were very few that came close to my requirements - NZ New, leather, sport seats, multi function wheel, 100kms or less, 02 onwards with ISOFIX etc. I had a look at a few on trademe and found a couple of horrors that looked great until you looked closer... One that appeared to stack up really well needed at least $2k spent immediately (past due rego, 2x keys, oil level sensor, battery, tyres, window regulator etc) and needed a door repainting - and this was the best one I found (think it is still on there for $15k now).

In the end I gave up and landed an NZ new E90 diesel for another couple of $k which I am pretty happy with (apart from the piss poor factory stereo).

I was under the impression that all the coupes had msport suspension (regardless of them being an msport version or not)?

In the end I gave up and landed an NZ new E90 diesel for another couple of $k which I am pretty happy with

ooOOoo .. how many more k ? I might be into doing something like this.

a few decent looking sedans:

330i msport 2002 estoril blue?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-499466694.htm

325i msport 2002 black! yaaay black! i do like this one even tho its a 325

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-499018711.htm

330i msport 2001 blue, a bit high kms but everything else looks okay?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-487710411.htm

Hey Q, good luck with the search!

I reckon that first 330i definitely looks like a good choice, NZ NEW huge impact on the price, personally I prefer to avoid imports, but that just me.

Sedans would definitely be better priced with the budget.

If It were me I would choose either a 330i or an E39 530i.

+1 on that blue facelift 330 - pick of the bunch in my opinion, as long as everything checks out.