Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

My first BMW

I've had this car for about 7 weeks now and I cant get enough of it.. My last car was a 95 SS Commodore and the 740i out performs it in every way.

Now I've got the Bimmer bug big time and I'm looking forward to doing some work on mine. Lower it about 2" at the front will be a start and then I'll look at the exaust.. See if I can get a nice V8 rumble out of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does anyone knnow of any get togethers or show n shines or something around the Wanganui/Manawatu area?

I'd really like to get in touch with other like minded folks in the area..

Edited by kulgan

looks good, you can certainly get the german v8 noise from it, more than a few here with modded exhausts on the same engine, e.g. E39 540i is the same engine. keep an eye on the meetings section of this forum for gatherings. like the wheels on yours especially

looks good, you can certainly get the german v8 noise from it, more than a few here with modded exhausts on the same engine, e.g. E39 540i is the same engine. keep an eye on the meetings section of this forum for gatherings. like the wheels on yours especially

Thanks. I think it'll look even better on those wheels when its lowered a bit. no more tire gap..

Thanks. I think it'll look even better on those wheels when its lowered a bit. no more tire gap..

in thinking about it, if you change your mind on those wheels and start looking for somthing else let me know :)

in thinking about it, if you change your mind on those wheels and start looking for somthing else let me know :)

lol, I'll keep you in mind but I do like them a lot on this car so dont be holdin ya breath..

E38, Commodore -ummm...no comparison

Welcome BTW

Looks fantastic. I've always had a soft spot for an E38.. not sure if I would buy one however (too heavy?)

Those BBS RCs sure look the part on it!

Speaking of which I saw an E36 M3 today with the same wheels... perfect!

looking good , nice clean car.

like the alloys.

maybe this for a different look.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-506506939.htm

looks like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/cars/bmw/a...n-508155567.htm

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

looking good , nice clean car.

like the alloys.

maybe this for a different look.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-506506939.htm

looks like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/cars/bmw/a...n-508155567.htm

I was looking at the Black Schnitzer on trademe the same time as I bought mine.. very nice but mine had half the kms and was half the price of the black one. The bodykit is tempting though..

Gonna do the suppension first though..

Looks fantastic. I've always had a soft spot for an E38.. not sure if I would buy one however (too heavy?)

Those BBS RCs sure look the part on it!

Speaking of which I saw an E36 M3 today with the same wheels... perfect!

I've always wanted a E38.. Who says dreams dont come true...lol

I've had this car for about 7 weeks now and I cant get enough of it.. My last car was a 95 SS Commodore and the 740i out performs it in every way.

Is it surprising that a car that cost four times the price of another new out performs it in every way.... the 304 in the VR/VS did sound nice though, better than the LS1 that replacedit IMHO.

Also, the SS will do much better burnouts all day long.

Get the 2 rear mufflers taken out and replace it with straight 3" pipe, leave the resonator in place though.

Has a great sound above 3000rpm but quiet enough when drving normally, also passes wof

Is it surprising that a car that cost four times the price of another new out performs it in every way.... the 304 in the VR/VS did sound nice though, better than the LS1 that replacedit IMHO.

Also, the SS will do much better burnouts all day long.

What did suprise me when doing the side by side comparison of the cars was that the 740i with a smaller 4ltr motor and heavier body than the 5 ltr Commodore still has a better mpg and was quicker as well.

Awesome car.

^ Haha German efficiency and American efficiency are completely different entities!

Get the 2 rear mufflers taken out and replace it with straight 3" pipe, leave the resonator in place though.

Has a great sound above 3000rpm but quiet enough when drving normally, also passes wof

Thanks. Have been looking at doing exactly that..

^ Haha German efficiency and American efficiency are completely different entities!

Cant remember the exact figures now but the BMW 4lt V8 put out 283 horses and the Holden 5litre V8 only put out 232..

Thanks. Have been looking at doing exactly that..

Replaced my rear muffler on my 735i with twin colby's and does it turn heads....sounds like a v8....

I was looking at the Black Schnitzer on trademe the same time as I bought mine.. very nice but mine had half the kms and was half the price of the black one. The bodykit is tempting though..

Gonna do the suppension first though..

Yeah that Schnitzer has been on for ages ......typical card yard way overpriced. One of the great mysteries of today's market is why these E38's are so undervalued ! I have had my 1998 advertised for a while and cannot get any interest whatsoever ......priced at $6600 just compare it with the Aussie crap selling for a lot more $$$.

Anyway enough of my rant. I have done lots of investigating performance mods, and short of supercharging kits, there is little to improve on. Plenty of suspension options though, just be careful you don't ruin the ride in the process. They are super sensitive to any maladjustment in the suspension, front and rear. One thing I have done is disconnected the servotronic steering module ......dont know if yours has it ....it decreases assistance the faster you go. I just prefer a power set up which is constant throughout.