Sign in to follow this  
briancol

Moving to Hamilton.

My partner has to move to Hamilton as she has been made Regional Manager of the North Island area south of the Bombays. Now neither of us know Hamilton at all, and, as we will have to rent a house there, I am keen to know which suburbs to avoid and at the same time, what are the better suburbs. We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom single story house with a double garage and are prepared to pay up to $400.00 per week.

What can I expect for that sort of money in a reasonable area?

What area is her work in?

Is there anything you want to live near?

Most area's have good parts to them. Some parts of Claudlands, Nawton and Fairfield are a bit grim in my opinion.

do not move to melvile, nawton, five cross roads/claudlands, they are the bronx.

rototuna/huntinton is nice and close to all amenity's in the northern waikato.

cheers kerry

agree with kerry on the no-go's,

parts of dinsdale are good, pukete, hillcrest are good.

do not move to melvile, nawton, five cross roads/claudlands, they are the bronx.

rototuna/huntinton is nice and close to all amenity's in the northern waikato.

cheers kerry

Not entirely true. It varies greatly from street to street, I live in a very nice part of "Bader" and I'm quite happy with my neighbourhood. Bit low-rent for your budget however.

It's generally an easy judgement call, if it seems cheap its probably a bad neighbourhood. Pay what you expect and it'll likely be a nice enough place.

I'd avoid hillcrest though, due to the large number of students with lax security theft is pretty high!

$400 will go a fair way for a 3bdrm. Nawton, Melville Enderly and Frankton would be on my avoid list. In saying that I live in Fairfield which has it's share of problems in parts

Nice newer suburbs out North, but if you're working in town, the traffic from out there builds up in rush hour

All of them.

hahaha its all good if this is were you are born and raised. but for new comers i would recommend north hamilton for sure.

I can recommend Rototuna, although you have to be vigilant wherever you live. Although, probably no more than in Auckland at this rate.

Can +1 on avoiding Nawton, melville, frankton etc. Also, Hillcrest/Hamilton East/Silverdale varies so much from street to street. Some areas are mostly families, and other areas are predominantly students and get robbed often.

Try and get a map from the Hamilton Police about what (reported) crimes have been committed in which streets in the last month. It's pretty descriptive of what areas to avoid!

I live in Glenview whichborders Melville & Deanwell. I agree with huff3r, it depends alot on the streets, not just the suburb. Glenview is fine, and the only real dodgy "looking" street around here is Bruce Ave - and thats only like 8houses p/side long so thats nothing lol. Cant really judge suburbs, only streets (in Hamilton). If you go live out North Hamilton ways, you be looking at OVER $400 p/w easy, and if buying then over $500K easy. Those suburbs are the new "Hollywood" - so be paying for it.

What area is her work in?

Is there anything you want to live near?

As per my thread, She will be all over the North Island.

I want to live near a good bar. A nice quiet homely sort of place, not a booze barn.

Thanks for all the info guys.

You'll probably do best staying towards the northern edge then. Cock and Bull is a reasonably homely sorta bar, with decent food out at Te Rapa too.

Just a warning:

Posted Image