Sign in to follow this  
Hi-Tek

Buying the wife a 1 Series

To be honest, if it's a car for the Missus, get a warranty and don't mod it. Parts are expensive. Transmissions will cost slightly less than a Greek Bailout. But I reckon most of the DSG failures tend to be 'enthusiasts' who launch their cars really hard.

Others cars worth considering include Skoda Octavias in the VRS version. 3 series touring is not a bad option either.

We just got a 118i NZ New (2 weeks ago), not because of expanding family though.

Hers is 2006, and it has ISOFix everywhere.

Previous owner had swapped to non RFT, which make me nervous. However on long journeys I'll just grab the spare and tool kit from the Porker so that shouldn't be too big of an issue. We are used to traveling light (a must in a 911), so having a spare wheel in the boot won't be an issue.

A combined m'way & urban driving shows around 320ks in half a tank. This is really good as our Compact would be using 3/4 of a tank to travel that far.

I'm grumpy about noisy modern BMW engine and LCD display on the radio gone funny. The display in the Compact is still fine after 16 years!! Obviously some quality issue there.

And a 118 is not a pocket rocket!

Edited by 318Touring

*Bump*

A bit of a revival so to speak lads.

I've been back in the country for a week now and ramping up the car search.

I *think* I've/ we've narrowed it down to one of the three following.....

Trying to cap the budget at $23,000 ($20,000 seems a bit limited for options)

Something 2006 or later

E90 Touring 320i

Audi A3 (5 Door) The one she's keen on is only a 1.6L

Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 2.0 TSi (basically a Golf GTi but in stationwagon form)

Any thoughts on the 320i Touring lads? Too slow, bearing in mind its for the Mrs...

The difference in length from what limited info I can find on google between the three is bugger all (less than 300mm)

Audi A3 (5 Door) 4,285mm

BMW E90 Touring 4,526mm

Volkswagen Golf Wagon 4,560mm

Edited by Hi-Tek

Does it have to be a euro?

The Toyota Avensis wagon is better value for a fwd wagon.

I'm biased against the FWD audis. Average drive n pricey.

Without looking at the individual cars I would still go the golf. Our Mk5 is a much better thought out car for families than my E90 or E46. Everything from the luggage tie downs to the cubby holes in the back for bottles and even the glove box is better designed. My E90 owners manual doesn't even fit into the glove box! The Golf has a proper slot for it to slide into. Think the golf even has 10 airbags vs the 8 in my E90. It's the little things that end up making a big difference to the usability.

I'm actually regretting my E90 purchase at the moment - I should have got a gti...

My old lady has had a 120i, a mk4 mk5 and mk6 golf gti (still has the mk6) and of all them she loved the bmw the most. most comfortable, nicest to drive etc. In saying that, her actual favourite is the 1999 rav4 that she still has :S

Does it have to be a euro?

The Toyota Avensis wagon is better value for a fwd wagon.

The old man had one from new and it was pretty bad as far as cars go. Just a bit to gutless. Ended up going for a Renault Koleos AWD after having a Territory and hating the fuel economy.

Thanks for that. Didn't realise that was the case. Caldina gt4?

They are a good car, have a workmate that has one. You just need to choose carfully though, because they are on the edge between normal car and flatpeak pantsdownlow car

There's nothing Japanese that I think looks remotely decent....

Here's a link to the cars I'm thinking about for the wife.

2006 BMW E90 320i Touring

Nice touring with M-Sport options,AUX Input, no leather, higher kilometres

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=517214190

2007 Audi A3 (5 Door)

NZ New, Low kilometres, Full service history at Continental Cars, Manual, No leather, Only 1.6L

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=522432996

All the Golf wagons are basically the same, All have leather, sensible boot layout, tonnes of airbags, 2.0L turbo (GTi engine)

2007 Volkswagen Golf TSi Sport Wagon (Black)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=520474170

2007 Volkswagen Golf TSi Sport Wagon (Silver)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=503984454

2008 Volkswagen Golf TSi Sport Wagon (Black)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=520474140

That's a stunning looking car(e90).

For that sort of money, 330d can be had. Not tourings nor Motorsport. But a better engine IMO.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/512827964

http://www.trademe.co.nz/477625588

Good luck with the hunt. Get a warranty with the Golf esp the twincharger versions with super n turbo charger. Nice cars but expensive to fix. :)

^

Cheers Marcus.

Both those 330d's are sedans and hiddeous without even venturing inside to see the 'woodgrain' dash and cream leather.

They're both well above the ceiling of $23,000 too.

When you say 'better' engine are you talking in terms of power, torque and economy or more from a reliability point of view?

I guess at the end of the day the car is for my wife so I won't be driving it at all so it doesn't need to be super powerful.

Cheers, Ollie.

*edit, typos

Edited by Hi-Tek

I guess at the end of the day the car is for my wife so I won't be driving it at all so it doesn't need to be super powerful.

The E91 320i wagon in your list of possibles is certainly the best looking of the options you have there. However, even my biased viewpoint would probably have to admit the Golfs would have better performance and look to have a better level of interior spec (which is probably more important to your Mrs) for the same money.

I would suggest you look at a 320d E91 if you can find one for similar money, the 2.0ltr petrol engine is bit of a slug in the E9x models and the diesel is a strong all rounder in terms of grunt and economy.

My 2c.

i dont think your wife wont be happy with the 320 touring.. looks amazing and thats probably good enough for her.

and since you wont be driving it i dont think you would mind either it being parked up in the garage next to your f10 m5 :D