Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

2001 E39 530i ABS issue

I have an E39 530 Motorsport and we have an issue with the ABS.. :confused:

Start the car, drive, and the first time you hit the brakes they shudder (the ABS kicks in) then the light comes on and stays on....

So far have changed all the sensors located at the wheels (although these are 2nd hand) and had the faults cleared

have also changed the ABS module (again 2nd hand) and had the faults cleared, that didn't fix the issue, so we put the 2nd hand ABS pump on and again this didn't work. Put the original pump and module back in and took the ABS pump and module back to my work, they then sold it on to another customer with the same issue - this pump and module fixed their issue...

Is there anything else that could be causing this error? I'm going to get the car scanned again in the next week, but I can't think of anything else the issue could be caused by - unless we have a faulty computer telling the car that there is an ABS issue when there isn't (is that possible)

so over it - want to trade it in for an E46 M3 :bowdown:

all those abs pump circuit board modules fail , they all need to have a repair (made better ) done to them.

no good putting 2nd hand ones in unless they have been done before.

cheers brent

Brent is right, they do fail - especially the early 2000's versions.

What was the original error codes, before you started swapping parts?

hmmm i think the original error code was for the module.

I know it's not great to put a 2nd hand module in, but what i can't get my head around is the fact that the one we put in our car didn't work in our car, but the same module fixed the same problem in someone else's car.

Just want to know what else, if anything, it could be?

Should be getting it scanned again this morning, all going well.

I've read on other forums that when you get a new (or second hand that is working) you need to recode it to your vehicle because the modules are specific to the cars. So the person that you sold it onto might have been lucky in terms of the module being the same specs as their current car (i.e. transmission, model, year etc)

There are some people that say no need to code and others swear you need it coded (but also some sitting on the fence dependant on situation)

Might be more confusing but an interesting read (please note that some of the information given is for cars that are equipped with DSC (whole raft of other sensors as compared with ASC))

More info

Hope this helps and hopefully I haven't misunderstood the information

Thats correct Dereck ASC & DSC are different and both need to be coded to the vehicle. The fault could also be DME & EGS related as well

^^^ Yup - just been there with mine.

System showed no fault codes but car had intermittent no speedo with both lights coming on - ABS /traction.

Monitoring current data showed R/H rear ABS sensor output intermittently failing (hence speedo dropping). Upon manual testing - the sensor specs confirmed ok, I confirmed the ABS unit randomly dropping the reference voltage output to the R/H sensor - confirming a module fault.

It is a common miss diagnosis to blame a sensor in this situation when infact it is another issue - the systems need to be properly diagnosed. Confirming Glenn's statement of other variables.

I sent my unit for repairs but it was not repairable - a brain fault :( .

And to reconfirm coding requirements -YES they are indiviually programmed to the car - to the IKE (instrument cluster).

I replaced with a brand new unit, it put out the ABS light upon fitting but not the traction - until it was coded to the car.

I have 8 faulty of this generation asc/abs modules sitting here. Very common problem with this particular unit to fail. Stay away from repaired units, they are prone to failure after a period of time. If this is the problem go for new.

Listen to what Glen and Grant(hotwire) have to say about the other possibile issues.

they can fail again if not repaired properly,

i have a guy who does it ,he repairs all the joins etc ,

rather than just the broken ones like some other repair guys do

Cheers, guys - it's booked in for a scan tomorrow - then hopefully get the issue sorted, and test drive and m3 tomorrow and get a trade deal sorted! This is why I love my E36 - I have had an occupancy sensor issue and now a power steering pump and that's it!! - the 5 series... is making my mind go crazy!!! Bring on the M3 :D

Nothing wrong with an E39 anymore than anything else. E46 M3 can have the same issues... and more

Nothing wrong with an E39 anymore than anything else. E46 M3 can have the same issues... and more

I know that.... just over this E39... Seems to have more problems then all the BMW's I've had put together.. On a brighter note - the issue is resolved :) decided to bite the bullet and buy a new ABS module.. (OUCH!)

I must be lucky then, ours has been fine till now, that said - has just got to the 120k mark.

How much ouch for the ABS module?

I was quite lucky that when I purchase my car I had it fully checked out and diagnosed. They had to replace the ABS/ASC module with a new one. IIRC would be around $800?

I must be lucky then, ours has been fine till now, that said - has just got to the 120k mark.

How much ouch for the ABS module?

it was $825 +gst :s but it's all sorted now... and we get an E46 M3 tomorrow :D woohoo!

it was $825 +gst :s but it's all sorted now... and we get an E46 M3 tomorrow :D woohoo!

Appreciate all the help above.

Seriously, I'd love to know where you got one for $825+GST :) Team Macmillan just quoted me $1,607 incl GST! Was yours the whole kit 'n caboodle ie the pump + ECU, or just one of them?

Also, some of you have mentioned you have had yours repaired. Any recommendations on who/where within reach of Auckland, before I ship mine off to UK repairer?

Appreciate all the help above.

Seriously, I'd love to know where you got one for $825+GST :) Team Macmillan just quoted me $1,607 incl GST! Was yours the whole kit 'n caboodle ie the pump + ECU, or just one of them?

Also, some of you have mentioned you have had yours repaired. Any recommendations on who/where within reach of Auckland, before I ship mine off to UK repairer?

Give me a call tomorrow David