Sign in to follow this  
slasH

reprogramming keys

Hi guys, I have a 2000 728 e38 and i got a set of 4 keys, 2 with the diamond shape keys

One of the diamond keys worked with only unlocking the car and the boot. but the other key no buttons worked.

I figured it was a reprogramming issue as I read that these keys recharge batteries when in the ignition.

I tried the standard method of ignition, remove within 5 secs, hold unlock button and 3 times press the lock button and release.

nothing happened (it was meant to unlock and lock to show that the keys have been programmed..) and also my working key doesn't work anymore lol..

I have searched the net and read the manual as well but this is the method i found. Any ideas :S?

any help would be appreciated :)!

Edited by slasH

It should work...

Which ignition position did you switch to? Try both position 1 and 2. Also I think when you are reprogramming keys you know to do the whole set not jus the ones not working.

I had a shite of a job doing the keys for my compact. Took lots of goes at it. Finally found I had to put key right next to mirror to do it. dont know if thats the same but keep trying

I've had a similar issue with the diamond key - turned out to be a dead battery (yes I know its rechargeable).

Cut my key open, and replaced the battery - all good after that.

Is the OP's E38 liekly to be a Jap import with the IR keys? They are line of site, so have to aim it at the sensor.

Euro version are RF, and don't care where you aim them.

thanks, il give this another go, i tried it at the 1st ignition position where only the radio turns on, no abs lights etc, its a Singapore import.

if it was the battery that one key that was working should at least work? it is likely that the other key which had no response to begin with has a dead battery though..

ok i got 1 key (the key that was working) to respond by actually touching the driver side mirror from the inside and it programmed (Thanks for that!) but it still doesnt lock when i use the lock button

confused about this as that button works to program the key so the button cant be at fault?

any ideas on this?

the 2nd key did not respond at all (i guess its the battery..) A guy from trademe as $120 to give it a new battery/ new case and program lol.. good price?? any alternatives?

Edited by slasH

thanks for help,

any one know a good place to get the key repaired/battery replace?

A guy from trademe asked $120 to give it a new battery/ new case and program.. good price?? any alternatives?

thanks for help,

any one know a good place to get the key repaired/battery replace?

A guy from trademe asked $120 to give it a new battery/ new case and program.. good price?? any alternatives?

I thought usually most malls would have like a booth in the middle doing keys, garage remotes etc. I got my battery replaced at one of them for $40

Batteries for the IR versions are less than $10 , easy enough to replace. In terms of the replacement key , would need to be an IR version if a Jap import as they tend to use ir rather then rf. The diamond keys charge off an inductance coil that is around the ignition key on later models. The ir models have a plan battery and the spare key needs to be used once in a while to keep up with the change of sequence numbers.

The learning new key squence can be found here for RF and IR remote keys.

I thought usually most malls would have like a booth in the middle doing keys, garage remotes etc. I got my battery replaced at one of them for $40

that was for the same diamond key? thats very cheap, il give them a go if they will reglue and get everything done.

also for the replacement key, has to be bought from Germany?

The diamond key is a sealed unit.

yup i used this method and got it open, will just need to get a new battery and replace it.

Edited by slasH