Sign in to follow this  
satellitej

BMW 316i... Now repowered...

Hey guys,

First off I have a question, how much does a standard 316i weight? I've read around 1050kg? This correct?

And what is the weight of the BMW race series cars? Or the lightest you have heard? Cheers

Take a look at my pics building up a fun little track car, and going to give drifting a shot, I'm hoping to be sub 1000kg mark.. But we will see...

Im looking to have the car completed in a month..

Who else has a sr20 e30 or looking to do it?

I'm happy to share what I have learnt doing mine, as I researched first and found other to be more than helpful.

Have to thank Scott, iplezr....

iPad won't let me upload photos but they are all on Facebook, will work on getting them up on here

e30 316i weighs 1065kg in manual form, 2 door model. That is with full tank and without special equipment. Got this from BMW Owners Manual.

m40 weighs ~80kg's, so you can do the maths and add/subtract whatever you're removing i.e seats, sound deadening, battery relocation etc to get roughly your final weight. Also, don't know if the above figure is for automatic or manual windows and power steering etc. You could always go to a scrap metal yard and weigh it up for a fee

Here's someone who's done it:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....9&hl=incary

nice, not a huge fan of non-BMW powered swaps, but an SR20 would be good. there used to be a white one rolling around wellington, owner used to be on here too, but havent seen it for a while, pretty sure there was a build thread here too. was a white sedan with a front mount behind the front valance not sticking out, i sold him a few bits back in the day

Yes I plan to weight it when I'm done for sure... But will prob just do it on the corner weights while it's all being set up..

And thanks thanks awesome I'm on the right track, and mine being a nz new is a no power steering model, lucky for me, less to go wrong, and no one likes cooking their power steer fluid at a track day resulting in overflow..

And I've heard of a few? I have seen the car iplezr and it's real nice, I have seen pics of another blue one which is down the line and enters cars shows but that's it, have seen plenty of rb20det builds though. I plan to get some pics up tonight to show you guys, of my set up, it's mounted quite far back in the bay which is good. And my motor is n/a but puts out just over 200 horsies so it's just under twice that of the standard engine I had, so should make for a good drive, make look at dropping a turbo engine in at a later stage... Maybe? But that's a long way away from now... Arr dreams are free. Haha

Anyways I do have a question? My car was not fitted factory with a rear sway bar, does anyone have pics of where they mount to on the body? I have converted my trailing arms and have disc brake, can see where the links go.. Has anyone else but a sway bar on a e30 that didn't have factory? Was it custom? Or are the mounts there? Cheers the info would be much appreciated.

When you buy the sway bar, make sure it comes with the bushing mount brackets. The nut is already on the car, just get the correct bolts (which are the ones off the handbrake cable trailing arm clips, which is where the rear links go onto) and buy washers as well for the bolt

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s349/e3...rs/DSC01650.jpg

That was the clearest photo i found when finding out on how to install mine

edit: thats not a stock item, but the mounting positions same regardless

Edited by dubman

hey, thanks for the quick reply, my mate works at bnt and he is going to buy me one for my car, for some work ive done for him on his e30 etc.

and here is some pics..

tried and failed.

what does this mean? am i blocked of posting pics?

Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions

re-upload with images resized 800x600 or there abouts, or post link using imageshack, flickr etc

resize your pictures to 800x600 or smaller. or upload them to tinypic.com

the mounting holes and slots for the rear swaybar will most likely be covered in under seal, didnt see mine to start with then started scraping and eventually got there. and check what size the photos are, 800x600 is the biggest you can upload

thanks for the advice guys, i have got pics up now, just a couple to start with i will keep adding tonight so you can see the stuff ive done, and changes ive made. im sure the rear end will be easy enough to do then, wahoo whiteline rear adjustable sway bar goodness for the e30 now..

sorry pics were taken with my ipad not the flashest..

Cool man, that should make for a really good drive.

I like the NA appeal personally, after all 200hp in a 1 tonne or so car will offer a good power to weight ratio with the right gearing!

Cool man, that should make for a really good drive.

I like the NA appeal personally, after all 200hp in a 1 tonne or so car will offer a good power to weight ratio with the right gearing!

yeah ive got the 4.4 ratio diff all locked up... should make for a interesting drive, all i worry is that im going to brake cv's or splines..

any ideas on this?

i like the price and sound of this, i only worry about it being medium case diff, i believe mine are all small case? will it fit in my car? will axles be the same etc?

and i would love the higher ratio, would it be a matter of finding another medium case diff and swapping the gear round? or is this not possible?

any issues people had with lock diff's?

i believe getting the lsd id have to shimm it up to get it tighter anyway.

medium case will bolt right in, your axles are the smaller ones anyway, should upgrade to larger 325i axles.

^ This. Can do you a discount if you buy my pair of 325 trailing arms and the LSD together, project looks good so far.

Edited by Brams

^ This. Can do you a discount if you buy my pair of 325 trailing arms and the LSD together, project looks good so far.

How much are we talking here?

I have a med case locker here if you want it. Does mean skids etc.

I have a med case locker here if you want it. Does mean skids etc.

Ok I would have to get the medium case axles etc for all this to work right? And also what ratiO is it?