Sign in to follow this  
gtstarped

E36 M3 gone mental

Hey,

Looking for some help with my E36 M3. When I changed over the engine/ suspension/ steering from 3.0 to a 3.2, the clutch slave failed so I changed it. When it was running the pedal was bitting even lower than before, which as always lowish. Knowing that E36's have an issue I changed the clutch hose which improved it heaps however it was never quite right. BM Workshop suggested I try the Clutch Master but were really not sure and thought it might be in the gearbox. They tested it out of the car and it held pressure. Anyway I wasn't convinced as it had been low with the previous gearbox so left it to see what happened.

One thing I have discovered and this is going to sound real weird, when I give the car 7400rpm in 1st and change gear hard the pedal is suddenly perfect again. I can drive it like this as long as I want and it feels great. I take it for another blat in first and change hard, and the pedal has no resistance and bites on the floor. Like clock work I give it 7400rpm in first again, and what do you know shes back again!

Now the brakes.

After the change of engine/ suspension etc the brake pedal was also biting lower and was advised it would come back, it did but not perfect. I reckon whats happened here is the brake lines have been stretched with all the movement so I was about to change the hoses but something weird happened on the weekend.

Took it for a major blat on Thursday and gave the brakes a bit of death for 10 minutes.

So on Saturday this happened.

Before I start the car the brake pedal has resistance, when I start it the resistance disappears completely and its like the engine is turned off. You know when you move a car without the engine on and try and brake? Anyway its like this for about 100 metres and then suddenly the pedals back.

Its got yellow pads up front, red pads at the back and standard disc. Pads are about 50/60%, rear discs well within minimum, and fronts on minimum.

I'm going to change the brake hoses to braided and contemplating the clutch master but I would prefer to know what I'm chnaging will work.

Anyone had any similar issues?

Brake wise it sounds like the booster isn't working on start up but it either works or it doesn't, not half and half.

Clutch, well that is wierd, the pedal has nothing to do with engine speed.

Brake wise it sounds like the booster isn't working on start up but it either works or it doesn't, not half and half.

Clutch, well that is wierd, the pedal has nothing to do with engine speed.

Tell me about it. I can't comprehend why it effects the clutch when I drive it real hard in first. BM reckoned it could be something in the gearbox to do with the clutch cover, but its seems hydraulic to me. Being the two are connected, although only slightly, is there something that could created the failure?

Could just be a coinsidence the brakes and clutch happening with two different issues but I took my mate out for a drive and was predicting the clutch feeling change.

Stumped!

Not missing the vacuum hose or have a hole in it?

Tell me about it. I can't comprehend why it effects the clutch when I drive it real hard in first. BM reckoned it could be something in the gearbox to do with the clutch cover, but its seems hydraulic to me. Being the two are connected, although only slightly, is there something that could created the failure?

Could just be a coinsidence the brakes and clutch happening with two different issues but I took my mate out for a drive and was predicting the clutch feeling change.

Stumped!

Guess 3;

They have a weird self adjusting cover, maybe slipping inside itself?

Guess 3;

Is this inside the clutch master cylinder?

Not missing the vacuum hose or have a hole in it?

I will check over this tomorrow

Umm this happened to my old galant it had a hydrualic clutch and had the same sypmtoms ok so wat i did to fix it was bleed the brakes and clutch both one after the other this fixed my car for around two days however mine also needed a rubber washer in the gearbox which someone fixed after i had the car so if its the same sort of thing might just be air in it somewhere like mine just rebleed everything and see if it fixes it.

Guess 3;

Did you reset the clutch before installation. Must be done every time.

As the engine/ gearbox were low k's I took the risk and did not break them at all preferring to change the clutch when required, hence it is still the factory original clutch.

No. Umm...wait,what?

But seriously, did the E36 have the self adjusting cover or did it start on the E46?

Reckon there's probably still air in the system. Clutch slave can be a prick of a thing to bleed.

i bleed the system , ny forcing fluid upwards with a sqizzy bottle full of brake fluid with a rubber hose.

one big push and all the air is forced out the top ,which is the the way air wants to go.

otherwise sometimes you can spend ages trying to pump out the air downwards when it wants to go upwards.

watch from about 5min

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

i bleed the system , ny forcing fluid upwards with a sqizzy bottle full of brake fluid with a rubber hose.

one big push and all the air is forced out the top ,which is the the way air wants to go.

otherwise sometimes you can spend ages trying to pump out the air downwards when it wants to go upwards.

watch from about 5min

Cools thanks. Will start with this for the clutch and see how it goes before changing the master. In regards to the brakes, I'm wondering whether I've stretched the hoses with all the movement around when I changed the engine and this has put extra travel in the brake booster, wearing the seals? Its makes a whoos sound really badly before going away when the brakes are back working ok. Will change the hoses, bleed up and then look to change the brake booster if still not ok.