Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Non working temperature sensor

I've just received my new Temperature sensor from Milland and my temperature gauge still doesn't work.

I've earthed the plug to the chassis and the gauge reads hot. As far as I know this indicates that the gauge and all wiring in between is fully functional.

If I measure the resistance of the sensor it decreases as the engine heats up, which indicates that the sensor is also functioning (I should hope so and it's brand new).

However, the temperature gauge still doesn't move from cold.

Is there anything I'm missing? All I can think of now is bad contacts between the plug and the sensor?

Cheers for the help.

is the car actually getting hot?

Posted Image

On the adapter loom check pin 12 on the m50 loom side connected to pin 4 on e30 side.

My guess is it probably wasn't connected.

though i wonder what pin 11 is, engine temp vs coolant temp?

Edited by e30ftw

is the car actually getting hot?

Yeah it is, at least it was..

Like I say I measured the resistance of the sensor, and it went down considerably as the car warmed up.

Does anyone know what the resistance should be of the sensor when the car is at running temperature?

On the adapter loom check pin 12 on the m50 loom side connected to pin 4 on e30 side.

My guess is it probably wasn't connected.

though i wonder what pin 11 is, engine temp vs coolant temp?

Yeah I've already pulled all the wiring apart and the coolant temp wire (brown/violet) is connected up the whole way.

This is backed up by the fact that when I earth it on the block the temp gauge reads hot.

Edited by sascha

You have to use the m20 temp sensor if you are using the e30 gauge cluster. Same problem with my m30, and that fixed it instantly.

You have to use the m20 temp sensor if you are using the e30 gauge cluster. Same problem with my m30, and that fixed it instantly.

Oh really? Damn. Guess I'll order an m20 one!

Cheers for that