Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Plastidipped E39 wheels

Found some Plastidip so had a crack at it... Much more expensive than in the states at $30NZD a can here ($5-10USD there) but thought what the hell for $60...

Very pleased with the result :)

BEFORE:

Posted Image

AFTER:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tristan

Found some Plastidip so had a crack at it... Much more expensive than in the states at $30NZD a can here ($5-10USD there) but thought what the hell for $60...

Very pleased with the result :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

That stuffs freaking cool, you just peel it off right? Looks good!

Yep you sure do! Totally reversible if applied correctly :)

Thanks for the comment :lol:

Looks good. Did you end up using pretty much all of the second can? Let us know how you get on in the coming months. I'd researched PD recently before doing some silver trim, but keen to know how it holds up on wheels.

Where did you buy it from? I'm on the hunt for some bright green this week

Got it from platinumwheels. No lime green - unfortunately. I'm looking to import a whole lot so will post up here before then. Will be much cheaper.

It seems to be used quite heavily on wheels in the car community, www.dipyourcar.com does a lot of automotive work with it.

Re: how much I used.

2 cans lasted 4 wheels, 3 wing mirrors, (a small mistake that needed redoing) and my kidney grilles - + some left over..

Wheels are 17"

Planning on doing the 911 after exams too

Thinking about doing my BBS RCs for kicks.

Looks like one of the easier wheel designs to do.. I wouldn't be too happy trying to manage a more technical wheel like RS's or something..

Mine were a bit've a pain doing them while they were still on the car. Turned out good but had to make a conscious effort to get every angle with even coverage.

Would recommend putting the car on blocks and doing all 4 resting on the ground but definitely achievable doing on the car.

Take the wheel off, put a garbage bag over the brake mechanism and put the wheel back on. No need to mask off tyre as you can peel the vinyl right off afterwards.

Edited by Tristan

much better !!

going to do some trim on my car ..did you get off trade me or is there a store i can grab a can from?

Looks like one of the easier wheel designs to do.. I wouldn't be too happy trying to manage a more technical wheel like RS's or something..

Mine were a bit've a pain doing them while they were still on the car. Turned out good but had to make a conscious effort to get every angle with even coverage.

Would recommend putting the car on blocks and doing all 4 resting on the ground but definitely achievable doing on the car.

Take the wheel off, put a garbage bag over the brake mechanism and put the wheel back on. No need to mask off tyre as you can peel the vinyl right off afterwards.

Looks very good. I'd be nervous about doing anything on my car with the factory spray can nozzle. Did you use one of these to get a good finish?

Posted Image

I actually saw those being used after I'd already done it. Would definitely get one for next time.

Doing 4 wheels was fine but any more and you'd be experiencing a bit've discomfort I'd imagine.

Doing 1 layer at a time, 1 wheel at a time gave my hand a break in between. Control wise, it was fine. I'm sure one of them would help though.

much better !!

going to do some trim on my car ..did you get off trade me or is there a store i can grab a can from?

Tristan said he got it from platinumwheels. For the rest of us outside AK, you can order it in at Supercheap for the same/similar price. I literally hit up all the usual auto/hardware places in palmy and SC was the only place that didn't give me a blank look when asking about the aerosol version.

Scarles in Avondale sell it too. They've got a TM store for those outside AKL: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-527414680.htm

There's another store that sells it on TM that has a bigger range of colours: http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovati...n-528482628.htm

Edited by jeffbebe

Awesome didn't realise other places had it too. Thanks for the positive comments guys, I was going to do blaze blue but decided against it as the wheels aren't right for it I think.

On the black 996 Porsche I'm weighing up black with red time attack ring or blaze green (Dad's car + his corporate colour is bright green so that could be cool)

I'll be interested to see how your experiment on the 911 turns out. Mine is also black and has been thinking of plastidipping the alloys.

I finish my exams on the 12th of Nov. I'll do it after then.

Really looking forward to it as the Turbo Twists on it are a simple wheel design (much more so than my spoke motorsport wheels)

If you're tossing up whether to do it or not, go for it. The money is negligible compared to powdercoating and it's totally reversible.

Dad's decided to buy a hydraulic jack and some jack stands for the car so that'll make life even easier.

Edited by Tristan

I finish my exams on the 12th of Nov. I'll do it after then.

You need to get your priorities right! Wheels should be ahead of exams :lol:

My son thinks black wheels only work on non-black cars, he's only 13 though ....

Might be summer project, I'll take the wheels off one-by-one using standard Porsche jack. My hydraulic jack won't fit under the Porsche.

Please PM me when you've got some pics, as I don't check bimmersport daily.

Edited by 318Touring

Just looked at a few vids on you tube on this, cool product, and piss easy to remove!

so given how easy it is to remove......should I put on tires before or after application.

before by the looks, otherwise the tire machine will peel it off...here is a link on removing it from wheels, the guy also shows how tough it is with a wash world type of water blaster

I'd definitely be putting tires on first. It is a great product but application has to be perfect otherwise you WILL have to start over.

This stuff looks so cool. You can do your whole car!

Good little business for someone with spray skills and a gun. You could do a car for way under $1k by the looks of it.

This stuff looks so cool. You can do your whole car!

Good little business for someone with spray skills and a gun. You could do a car for way under $1k by the looks of it.

Not sure I'd want to do a whole car. The paint is a rubber compound so it has a rubbery texture when finished. Great for trim pieces and looks good on wheels but I'd not be that keen on it all over a car.