Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Plastidipped E39 wheels

Not sure I'd want to do a whole car. The paint is a rubber compound so it has a rubbery texture when finished. Great for trim pieces and looks good on wheels but I'd not be that keen on it all over a car.

Wouldn't that make it better at resisting stone chips than a traditional paint? I think it'd be awesome done right. I.E in outrageous colours.

Wouldn't that make it better at resisting stone chips than a traditional paint? I think it'd be awesome done right. I.E in outrageous colours.

I expect it would, just not sure I'd care for the rubberized car look myself. You have to apply a pretty thick coat to be able to peel it off again easily, and the thicker the coat, the more it looks like rubber.

stupid supercheap not being able to get green for 3 months! anyone know of a local store that has it and wants to send me a few cans?

Having trouble sourcing green too. Think I'm going to do black/red in mean time. The dipyourcar.com boss Fonzie did his S4 in a custom blue . It's on YouTube and looks sick.

any updates Tristan? I bought two Eastwood spray can triggers off trademe, let me know if you want one (to borrow or buy lol)

Are you still doing a group buy for this Tristan? If so I'm in, number of cans depends on the price.

Do you think this stuff will be suitable to protect the underside my front valance if applied thick enough? Or would it just rip off the first time I scrape (which is every time I leave my driveway)?

Still keen either way, I'm sure I'll find other uses for it!

Are you still doing a group buy for this Tristan? If so I'm in, number of cans depends on the price.

Do you think this stuff will be suitable to protect the underside my front valance if applied thick enough? Or would it just rip off the first time I scrape (which is every time I leave my driveway)?

Still keen either way, I'm sure I'll find other uses for it!

It'll rip right off. I sprayed a piece of bumper trim. It looked great until I polished the car. The polisher only touched the plasti dip coat once but it was enough to lift it. Once a bit of comes you'll have to peel the whole lot off and start from scratch.

It's great protection against stone chips, etc but a scrape on a drive and it would have no chance - it's basically just a thin layer of rubber and I don't think you could spray it on thick enough to cope with that.

Supercheap auto sells car undersealants (rubbery material), you could try that.

Supercheap auto sells car undersealants (rubbery material), you could try that.

Oh yeah sweet, might give that a go.

I've been using 4-5 layers of duct tape along the underside, but it only takes a week or so to wear through it! And it looks pretty rude once there's bits of ripped tape hanging down haha.

Apparently Repco, Bunnings etc. have it, so can't be bothered group buying.

It's stood up pretty well although I need to re-do a bit as a wheel balance lifted a wee bit but ill just touch it up.

Was a three month wait at supercheap, had nothing on the shelves here

Was a three month wait at supercheap, had nothing on the shelves here

Ah, I see. I'll have a look around other retailers.

A side note, I did my Macbook pro top in Black - Looks awesome, especially with the glowing "apple" when it's open.

I also did my kidney grilles. It's standing up better than the paint did.

I'm sure this is what the previous owner had done to my Msport rims, didn't look to bad at all, just doesn't really suit the blue car though. He said he had paid someone else to do it for $50 a wheel, hasn't really stood up to living down a gravel road though, slowly chipping its way off. Hoping to get it taken back to original when I get new tyres. It's pretty good looking stuff though, and always cleans up real well.

Apparently Repco, Bunnings etc. have it, so can't be bothered group buying.

It's stood up pretty well although I need to re-do a bit as a wheel balance lifted a wee bit but ill just touch it up.

How did the touch up work out? My understanding (from the dipyourcar.com videos) is that if you f*ck it up when painting or it starts to peel, etc then you have to remove and redo the whole thing.

How did the touch up work out? My understanding (from the dipyourcar.com videos) is that if you f*ck it up when painting or it starts to peel, etc then you have to remove and redo the whole thing.

Whilst dipyourcar is partially correct for a really "perfect looking" rim, then that's the case (they are also a profit orientated business though).

When I did one of my wing mirrors, I walked past it when it was wet and f**ked up the bottom of it with my t shirt, I just cleaned the area a bit, started working on that particular spot, it looks pretty much normal aside from a small seam (which I could probably get rid of with another layer, but its on the underside of the mirror so I don't really care)

I haven't actually gotten around to touching it up yet. I'm currently in Utah but I'll have more time when I'm home, hopefully before uni summer school starts...

Does anyone know a good way to take this stuff off? I had the spare on my car today (original colour) and looks so much better then the black. The black is chipping away and looks a bit tacky, but the original colour underneath still looks mint so im assuming they've just been coated. Or any idea of cost of getting them profeesionally taken back to normal?

Plastidip basically just peels off. Don't need to get it removed "professionally" it is just a plastic coating and it doesn't affect the original mags at all. If its "chipping away" then it's probably not plastidip but a powdercoat with shitty primer.

Yep same stuff.

I re-did one of my wheels. Peels off easy as - If it doesn't peel yours haven't been dipped @Rusteee

I'll be interested to see how your experiment on the 911 turns out. Mine is also black and has been thinking of plastidipping the alloys.

Decided against dipping the 911s wheels as I saw another with black turbo twists and didn't think it looked very good.

Decided against dipping the 911s wheels as I saw another with black turbo twists and didn't think it looked very good.

Dang I was hoping I could see it before doing it myself. I might have to go ahead and just do it...

Dang I was hoping I could see it before doing it myself. I might have to go ahead and just do it...

Sorry mate. Be keen to see how yours turns out!