Sign in to follow this  
qube

Bmw Engine Oil Guide

Before I begin. I would like to say that yes I have used the search function, I have read the threads, I have googled and looked at 20+ forums and web pages.

First question is what is the "best" oil for a 330i m54 engine?

Or what is the oil that bmw uses? What grade and/or brand.

I am thinking to change to castrol edge 5w30. Also considered the 0w40 but don't think it's necessary (may be wrong)

I also want to make either this or another thread the definitive guide to which grade of engine oil is suitable for whichever car. I guess most owners of cars may know but new or first time bmw buyers may benefit.

Yes I saw that. But the post said it was taken from e30zone which is a uk forum.

Different weather conditions...

Nz obviously doesn't have winters as cold. Also it doesn't have a guide for other cars such as e39 etc

Also it states the oil grade but not brands.

It would be helpful to know which brands are available where etc.

Eg. Castrol at supercheapautos for around $85 for 5w30. And $99 for the 0w40. Etc

The M54 requires LL-01 AND ACEA A3/B4, according to BMW.

The ACEA rating for the M54 engine mostly relates to the true viscosity and the high temperature shear strength. That particular oil is towards the high end of the viscosity and strength scale for it's type of oil.

I'd have to check, but I think the "correct" oil is the 0-W40 type of Castrol Edge A3/B4.

I'm a bit anal with oil and stuff, so that's what I run in my M54. Repco have it for about$97 for 5L, but I talk them into "trade" at about $85 - If you can find a big place with a real account, you might get it a bit better - not really that much margin in oil (Well, not 500% like on some stuff!)

There will be other stuff around that is correct, but I like this stuff, as it is LL-01 (which has more zinc etc than LL-04 which is designed to be DFP safe) and it meets the A3/B4 rating too.

Having said all that, there are literally thousands of M54 running around on the "wrong" oil and are doing fine. You certainly would need to be careful how long you ran some of them, but even with the "correct" oil, I've altered my SI interval so it come down from about 23,000 to 15,000 kms. I am more than happy with that interval - quality oil and there is 6.5L in there anyway.

^thanks, very helpful!

I had same question and found Allan's reply most helpful, thanks. So Googled LL01 and A3/B4 and found Shell claims it's Helix Ultra also meets these specs. Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 meets the A3/B4 but I can't see anywhere that they claim it meets the BMW LL01 requirements, let alone LL04. Sounds like Edge and Helix Ultra are the way to go.

I've just taken possession of my 2003 530i and looks like previous keeper put 15w40 in it (Union Oil???) - shivers, seems a bit sludgy looking inside oil filler cap. So, is there any product I should use to clean out all the previous properly before changing and going with Edge/Helix?

David

No answer to above but I decided to go with castrol edge 5w30 fully synthetic after talking to team McMillan bmw. That's what they recommended.

Will update how it is after its done.

I've just taken possession of my 2003 530i and looks like previous keeper put 15w40 in it (Union Oil???) - shivers, seems a bit sludgy looking inside oil filler cap. So, is there any product I should use to clean out all the previous properly before changing and going with Edge/Helix?

David

Hi David,

I wouldn't recommend an oil flush - if the engine is dirty, it may release crud that blocks the pickup. If it even works! The ones that did work used to cause havoc on some cars when the crud blocked off the oil pickup or things like oil spray bars. Better to use a good oil that may help clean things VERY slowly.

The M54 motors seem to collect sludge under the filler cap. I thought ours was a bit grubby (firm brown very small lumpy bits) and that it may have had a lack of oil changes in the past. When I did the Vanos seals, I took the rocker cover off and was actually stunned at how clean it was inside - seriously shiney with just a very light clear golden coating on the non-moving parts etc. The plastic cover itself was a bit grubby, but I assume that's a "cold" bit too. Same when I did the oil filter housing gasket too. I brought a new oil cap and fitted it just after the oil change, and it's done about 6500 kms and already has some tiny brown lumps - I guess because it's a "cold" part of the engine, the oil vapours condense there.

And for Qube: I think the 5W-30 is A3/B4 anyway (or can be purchsed as such anyway). It may not meet the BMW LL-01 spec, but it's obviously not a bad oil. I don't like the 23,000 or so kms our car would run according to the standard SI interval!

• Like 1

bmw told me they use a 5w30 castrol srs professional or something but castrol edge is perfectly fine to use

it meets the a3/b4 and its a fully synthetic oil. got it for $85 ish for a 5L bottle, so i got 3 bottles for the e46 and a e39 which has the m52 engine. its been done already on the e39 and runs so much better than before, when it was previously done using a 10w40 semi synthetic oil.

hopefully i will do the oil change every 10,000kms from now on seeing its not overly difficult at all :)

long live bmw!

edit: quick google tells me its probably castrol SLX professional

Edited by QUBE

@allanw

I checked the bottle and it does meet bmw long life 01 standard.

Finished doing my car. Took about 10 minutes of work and 30 mins of waiting for oil to drain out.

Cost $150 including 6.5L of oil and genuine filter from bmw.

Drives really well. Can hear the engine running and sounds much smoother than before

Now I need to search how to reset and reconfigure how to set the service indicator interval so it's more like 10,000kms.

I have had many different oils in my 330 over the years and it has always used oil, not a huge amount but more than i would like, but it had allways been that way no matter what oil I used (even the expensive stuf).

Last oil change I had Fucsh Super Super GTO 10W-30 put in. Just a average, middle of the road oil.

I have just come back from a return trip to Palmeston North, and it has used virtually no oil, and done the best economy on that trip yet.

Edited by David

Now I need to search how to reset and reconfigure how to set the service indicator interval so it's more like 10,000kms.

PA SOFT BMW Scanner 1.4.0 is the easiest way to do it, although it can be done in NCSexpert I think (I only do it via BMW Scanner though).

BMW Scanner will reset the lights (although you can do it via the cluster too) and can be used to change the litres of fuel between oil changes.

Just an update. Took advice of those above and in Jan 2013 tipped in 6.5 litres of Castrol Edge 5w30 when car had done 99,000 kms. Did 9,000 kms and changed it in Feb this year (2014). Came out looking and smelling hardly used. Underside of oil filler cap looks cleaner than when I bought the car (see above, Allanw's post of 24 Dec, 1st para).

95% of trips are 4km commutes in moderate Auckland traffic (Manukau Road, Epsom) and several cross country runs (Napier, Wanagnui etc). Uses around 250ml per 1,000 km around town and almost nothing on country runs. Have been able to buy the oil for my and my daughter's car from Supercheap Autos for $55 per 5 litres just by waiting for specials and buying then rather than waiting until the day I need it.

• Like 1

No answer to above but I decided to go with castrol edge 5w30 fully synthetic after talking to team McMillan bmw. That's what they recommended. Will update how it is after its done.

That is what I run in my n46 motor.

Every 6 months or so repco has a special on them for $50, and its a good time to stockpile it then.

I'm using Penrite Enviro+ 5W-40. LL04, ACEA C3/C4. Engine is a diesel, but it is

Need to check the ACEA qualifications (again). Offhand, I couldn't say if C3/C4 is 'better' or 'worse' than A3/B4, but I think it is. (I'll check later and advise, unless someone else knows?)

It works, and works well. I was a little wary as it almost seems a general purpose oil, being many things to many people. Penrite say it can be used anywhere 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 is specified.

And it is typically a fraction cheaper than some other similar oils. Not that that should really be a consideration - a few bucks per 5L of oil is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild!

False. you cant say c3/c4 is better than a3/b4. its really apples and oranges.

these are all Acea ( automobile constructors european union) ratings

a3/b4 is the main oil rating for capabilities such as drain intervals and shear strength etc the stuff that really defines an oil.

a3 is the petrol engine grade b4 is the diesel engine grade.

so a a3/b3 will perform the same in a petrol engine as an a3/b4 but not as well in a diesel engine.

C3 and C4 are catalyst compatibility rating for diesels with a diesel particulate filter.

these rating measure completly different capabilities of the oil, mainly when its burnt and creates soot pariticles.

so in many years your diesel engine will be able to use a higher grade a9/b13 oil (or whatever they bring out thats better)

but it will always require an oil that is compatable with c3 or c4 ratings for the Diesel particulate filter.

a5/b5 and c4 are the most stringent ratings so i would agree the penrite enviro+ range which meets both would be an ideal oil for either petrol or diesel bmws.

and just for reference most ratings rate both diesel and petrol engines.

the other main gradings you will find in nz will be the API ratings which are often

SM/CF or SN/CF

These are S for petrol (Spark ignition being S)
And C for diesel ( Compression ignition being C)

So a SM/CF and SN/CF would both be the same in diesels but the SN would be better in a petrol engine.

but again looking for the C3 or C4 rating if you have a DPF

hope this helps.

• Like 2

^ Like. Thanks.

As I said, I would have needed to check the A/B/C criteria. Well, maybe not now. :)

bmw told me they use a 5w30 castrol srs professional or something but castrol edge is perfectly fine to use it meets the a3/b4 and its a fully synthetic oil. got it for $85 ish for a 5L bottle, so i got 3 bottles for the e46 and a e39 which has the m52 engine. its been done already on the e39 and runs so much better than before, when it was previously done using a 10w40 semi synthetic oil. hopefully i will do the oil change every 10,000kms from now on seeing its not overly difficult at all :) long live bmw! edit: quick google tells me its probably castrol SLX professional

Hi Kyu, can you confirm if you are using Castrol Edge Engine Oil - 5W-30 . I cannot find Castrol SLX Professional anywhere in NZ.

Edited by miamikk