Sign in to follow this  
E30320i

Suspension Question E30

Hey guys, Does anyone know how or where I could get Shortened struts for my E30?

as i was planning on lowering it a little more.

Its currently got Lowering springs in it with standard struts at the moment :)

Cheers

You will have to have that certified, so my 5cents is to get adjustible suspension if its in your pricerange, otherwise deal with the height

You will have to have that certified, so my 5cents is to get adjustible suspension if its in your pricerange, otherwise deal with the height

yeah most adjustable suspension setups are roughly around $1500, if i am correct?

what part of nz are you in mate?

if your in christchurch i can probably help you out, easy job if you have the gear.

i assume your planning on getting some lower springs than your currently running?

otherwise shortening the struts is a bit pointless because you'll just wind up with more spring preload and a car that isnt any lower. shortening struts is really a way of keeping springs captive not lowering ride height.

like everyone else said, there are several cheap coilover options for e30s on trademe, definitely the easy way out if you want to spend the money.

Edited by w_elliot

if your in christchurch i can probably help you out, easy job if you have the gear.

i assume your planning on getting some lower springs than your currently running?

otherwise shortening the struts is a bit pointless because you'll just wind up with more spring preload and a car that isnt any lower. shortening struts is really a way of keeping springs captive not lowering ride height.

like everyone else said, there are several cheap coilover options for e30s on trademe, definitely the easy way out if you want to spend the money.

Southland, well Central Otago at the moment but yeah i am planning on buying a set of 16x8/9s for my car

These : Posted Image

If i do get them i dont think it will be low enough for the way i want it to sit, if you get what i mean? and yeah i have looked at coilovers on trademe, around $2000 after cert i guess.

But yeah guess if you want it to sit nice then coilovers are the best Option

are you talking about shortening the shock itself or the strut housing? you can shorten the housing and no run into issues, and wont change the spring physics. shortening the shock will though you are right, and is not the correct procedure to go lower unless you are also fitting lowering springs. not sure if this latter process is required to be certed, i dont know anyone that has, but thats not saying it is legal like that

--

im comfortable posting that i spent roughly $2500 on my coilovers including modifying front hub/strut assay, crack testing (compulsary for cert) and certification. real cost to me was less because car had to be certed for engine etc anyway. This is E34 but E30 will be more or less the same cost as bolt in E30 kits arent available off the shelf AFAIK. also, if you dont see them as a performance upgrade and the sole reason you want them is for the hellaflush look or whatever you call it this month, then you can get much cheaper chinese made units that aren't 30 way adjustable etc.

you cant shorten the housing and not run into issues

I think that's what you meant Andy :wacko:

Jamex superlows and shorten your shocks, cheapest option IMO. Are you going custom offset with those Varrstoens?

I think that's what you meant Andy :wacko:

Jamex superlows and shorten your shocks, cheapest option IMO. Are you going custom offset with those Varrstoens?

Maybe +15 for the 9s and not sure about the 8s? what you reckon?

at the moment i have lowering springs and yeah have heard that shortening shock was a option but was just trying to get peoples opinions.

0 for the fronts and ~20 for the rear :P Was gonna get a set, but decided to bury the money elsewhere

Is your signature pic your current height?

0 for the fronts and ~20 for the rear :P Was gonna get a set, but decided to bury the money elsewhere

Is your signature pic your current height?

Yeah was going to have it somewhere around that offset, and yeah hows that?

What wheels suspension setup are you running?

Non-shortened standard shocks, with Eibach rears and H&R fronts. Rides and handles not that great.

All wheels are 15x7 15p. Stance is subjective, so up to you how you want it to look, but your rear end is too low IMO. Slap on tyres and wheels 1st, then go from there haha

Non-shortened standard shocks, with Eibach rears and H&R fronts. Rides and handles not that great.

All wheels are 15x7 15p. Stance is subjective, so up to you how you want it to look, but your rear end is too low IMO. Slap on tyres and wheels 1st, then go from there haha

Fair enough, it looks low in that picture but it rides nicer than the springs that where in it so i am happy with them lol

and yeah that was the plan, it is a bit of a guess on what they'll look like in a way as i have not come across anyone running those wheels with that set-up, it will be interesting as but i have looked into different wheel set-ups and 16x8 and 9s appeals to me the most really

Edited by E30BMW1989

dont forget, going up another 2 inches in wheel size will make a difference to perceived ride height as well, your tucking tyre on 14s there in the back, that will be quite close to the rim with 16s.

from the awkward angle photo in your sig, i'd personally say its about bang on for height as it is now.... hard to know what its like in real life and only you will know

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

FWIW, there is no way you will get a decent looking stance with springs / shocks. I went pretty much as low as you can go in the front with some #YOLO spring setup which ended me up having a nice segment coming up on Highway Cops and a pink sticker..

e30 chassis sits alot lower, the front rails and control arms easily go under 100mm, but if you do you need a cert. But whats the point you will have a crap suspension setup and so forth whereas adjustables will let you go alot lower and still have proper suspension travel.

FWIW, there is no way you will get a decent looking stance with springs / shocks. I went pretty much as low as you can go in the front with some #YOLO spring setup which ended me up having a nice segment coming up on Highway Cops and a pink sticker..

e30 chassis sits alot lower, the front rails and control arms easily go under 100mm, but if you do you need a cert. But whats the point you will have a crap suspension setup and so forth whereas adjustables will let you go alot lower and still have proper suspension travel.

What did you get pink sticker for though, cut springs?

and yeah i know what you mean. coil overs give you so much more options for ride height lol in comparison to shocks/springs.

dont forget, going up another 2 inches in wheel size will make a difference to perceived ride height as well, your tucking tyre on 14s there in the back, that will be quite close to the rim with 16s.

from the awkward angle photo in your sig, i'd personally say its about bang on for height as it is now.... hard to know what its like in real life and only you will know

Yeah that is true, it does sit okay at the back with minor camber but yeah will see what its like with wheels on it

I'm running standard shocks with, i think jamex (uncaptive) springs and it is low....

It's around 80mm off the ground at the front and 90mm on the rear

Yeah mine was about the same and because I wasn't certed, got done for being too low in the front. Jamex's are hella soft though, so if you had a tight fit with some 9's in the rear, you will get alot of rubbing. Again, why adjustables are better with more stiffer springs..

yeah jamex are super sh*t....... +1 on adjusties, u can get $400.00 cheap as ones from ebay that will get u low, almost the same price as new lowering springs....

yeah jamex are super sh*t....... +1 on adjusties, u can get $400.00 cheap as ones from ebay that will get u low, almost the same price as new lowering springs....

$400 coilovers? link me them lol

On the US forums, the JOM ones seem to have a good bang for buck. havent heard of the other ones so not sure if worth the gamble. of course, at this price level, they will handle poorly (for a coilover) and height is the only adjustment possible. a brand new set of springs is around this mark, and shocks on top of that, so doesnt take a genuios to figure these out. However low on a budget id recommend them though.

E: only trouble you may have is the spring rate on them, if you car is a 2.5L and assuming you will be certifying the car.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

r3v is a good forum, i havent been active for ages seeing as i dont have a modded E30, but might go kick some tyres there again at some stage. all this sort of aftermarket type stuff for E30s you can find there.

r3v is a good forum, i havent been active for ages seeing as i dont have a modded E30, but might go kick some tyres there again at some stage. all this sort of aftermarket type stuff for E30s you can find there.

Yeah i signed up there a while ago, quite good yeah.

Those Coilovers had quite a good Review considering the Price, looks like i may buy some. not sure about the Exchange rate though :/