Sign in to follow this  
bravo

E30 hesitation off the mark/missing?

My mechanic is booked up 2.5 weeks solid and there is no way I'm going somewhere else as the guy is a genius.

But, the e30 has started to hesitate off the mark - it misses a touch before she kicks in and goes. It has been parked up with little to no driving for some time and I have just started using her again. Also starting is a little more hit and miss - used to start perfect every time, now sometimes is a touch hard to start.

I have recently replaced the fuel filter and given it an oil change but otherwise nothing is different apart from the period of no use.

That and the tappets are louder than I remember.

Tappets are no worry, and it's probably just in need of a tune, but any bright ideas that I could try myself. I have a haynes manual, I have an extensive workshop and tools and I am very handy with them, but haven't owned the e30 long enough to have cracked into the engine and so am flying blind. Just want to know where to start as I'm sure someone must have been here before.

Cheers.

try going for a badass drive

if it doesnt help at least you had a badass drive

Yeah, i'm driving it to aux this avo (2.5hrs or less if I drive "badass" but since I don't want to bend it in the wet prob more like 3hrs)

Hope that might fix it - I've only done about 3.5hrs in it since took out of storage and not all at once. Will be holding off tutu-ing with it till I get back but not all that hopeful of it fixing itself...

Use the pedal on the right, depress it with right foot, ensure that the rev needle reaches 5k rpm and stays above it for a good 15 secs...then go for a badass drive.

sheit im all for the badass drive. where we going?

remove all spark plugs clean them up and reset them ie, tap tap tappy

replace them and whammo

Maybe the injectors are a little gummed up from standing. Try some injector cleaner in your tank and then take it for that badass drive.... :P

injector cleaner atually pwns

used a whole bottle on my car runs a wee bit smoother

injector cleaner atually pwns

used a whole bottle on my car runs a wee bit smoother

ahh placebo effect :D

good to see your one of the affected

Bin the plugs. There cheap enough so that you can get a new set

My car was doing the same thing 2 weeks ago, changed the plugs and now im fine.

sometimes water in the gas tank causes a little lag / stall in acceleration off the mark, can be dealt to using a bit of meths.

Edited by E30stz

I warmed the engine by driving to BP, threw in a bottle of injector cleaner and a tank of 98/Ultimate and did the whole rev thing/badass drive - lots of hills and twisties - no breaking the speed limit, but lots of 6000rpm and a little bit of breaking traction. :mosh:

A bit better - but not fixed. Will pull the plugs this weekend (they were new when it went into storage so maybe they just need a clean), and if its still not fixed I'll take it in.

Mild improvement with ulitmate, and gas mileage improved marginally, only put it in since it's cleaner, and with the slight octtane reduction from injector cleaner prob evened out.

Back to 96 once this tanks empty.