Sign in to follow this  
chris525i

Performance Parts

Hello all. I have a 97 525i and was wondering where in cantebury (or NZ if need be) i can get good performance upgrades, e.g, exhaust systems, intake systems, fuel supply upgrades etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Jap 525i was the same as the 523i everywhere else.

You can also hunt for 323i upgrades.

They weren't a particularly grunty motor though. Most cheap ad ons don't acheive much, although they have quite a restrictive intake (the plenum and runners, NOT the pipes and filters), which you can swap, but it sounds like most people report a low down torque loss to acheive more top end.

My sisters old 525i used to go ok, but it was low down that it suffered a bit - It always needed a fair few revs on board to get anywhere. I'm not sure what could realistically be acheived to help that for not too much money.

If I wanted to improve performance, I'd seriously look at a manual conversion - not super cheap, but you will make the car a lot more fun to drive AND get rid of a potentially expensive auto repair.

Our manual 525i is the later M54 engine, but it is actually pretty quick.

swap the engine for a 328i 528i one

while doing the manual conversion ;)

I was thinking i may need to do an engine swap, however I'm unsure what will fit and what will boast the most power.

I was thinking i may need to do an engine swap, however I'm unsure what will fit and what will boast the most power.

A 4.0L will boast the most power.