Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

rookie question 101

Hey guys

want to paint the rails on the roof of my wagon back to black. removing them is out of the picture i think, i presume i will have to drop the headliner to do that, more hassle than its worth

so my rookie question is what sort of tape should i use to tape newspaper down around it? because the tape will be going onto paint should i use a special type or would good old renovators masking tape be safe to use?

here is photo what im on about, you can see the black flaking off showing white underneath etc

Posted Image

cheers

Any half decent masking tape should be fine Andy. Will come off without doing any harm to your beast!

Are you sure Andy looking on realcom they look like they are a push in clip could be wrong maybe Brent could help you out. If not get some low stick green coloured masking tape comes off and does not leave any sticky marks and best of luck

As Allan recommends, green painters' tape will do the job perfectly. Just make sure you do it out of the sun. If the adhesive on the tape gets hot it'll leave more residue. It'll still come off but will need a bit of elbow grease or a cut n polish.

You'll need to prep the racks first too with some fine sandpaper and degreaser before painting I reckon. I'd mask it up before you sand if you're not taking the racks out, just to make sure you don't scuff the body paint.