Sign in to follow this  
Young Thrash Driver

odo reset due to

Well they say they have receipts which prove it. Probably someone changed the cluster with a new one after it failed or was damaged. All the same it's a nicely spec'd car by the looks of it and they've acknowledged the mileage is higher than 26k or whatever it has in the image.

Thats not how it works unfortunately.

The MCU in the cluster writes directly to a small ROM chip which doesnt require a battery to hold the memory state.

As others have said, could be a number of reasons also including directly reading and hacking the ROM data and re-writing it. Requires some specailist knowledge and the right hardware to do it however.

Sounds like a load to me, I had my battery disconnected for about a month in my touring and still kept current odometer reading, no tamper light though. and also the about the high reading temp gauge being " that's normal for this type of car" seems abit sus, neither of my e36's have been over half way, I'd say it's due for a cooling system overhaul

Sounds like a load to me, I had my battery disconnected for about a month in my touring and still kept current odometer reading, no tamper light though. and also the about the high reading temp gauge being " that's normal for this type of car" seems abit sus, neither of my e36's have been over half way, I'd say it's OVERDUE for a cooling system overhaul

fixt

Edited by kiwi535

In order for the cluster to read zero again is to change the Kombi, the DME and the Body controll module, even then it might still keep the memory. Any funny business with the cluster and it brings up the manipulation dot next to the milage.

my e34 would flick up that high due to the fan clutch being roasted.

doesn't move 1mm from the middle, unless it's like 34c outside thanks to electrical fan.