Sign in to follow this  
topless

Diff ratio

I have a 325 motorsport with a LSD, ratio 3.64. Car came with 14" basketweaves, not 15". What ratios are you guys with 15" basketweaves and LSD running?

There is quite a difference in rolling diameter between my 14" and 15" basketweaves so don't want to put the 15" on if it is going to make the car a dog to drive by making the gears too long.

Any suggestions? :wacko:

Guest Andrew

I quite like my 3.46 LSD with 205/55/R15 wheels..

2nd gear is around 100 kph (very close just under).

Then again I have a bunch of torque which makes it OK.

It dropped my indicated top speed at puke to around 200 kph from around 215 - 220.

I'm considering going to around 3.15 ish when turbo is done.

Then again I have a bunch of torque which makes it OK.

I'm busy putting together a 2.7, maybe i should think about a turbo too.... was going to put it in the cab tho'.

If I do it, you and me can whisle past that honda down the straight at Puke and rip the panels off both sides at the same time... :lol:

i got 3.64 LSD and 205/55R15

to be honest would probably prefer a slightly higher ratio with 205/50 (unless a 3.91 LSD :D)

it makes 3rd and 4th a little better.....they pretty long with the tyres i got now

go 15" definately...better tyres available, and any slight performance decrease in a straight line is made up for in corners...and the difference is slight (was using andys 205/60R14 and the difference really isnt that big

Gus, this M325 is probably the same as your old 2door.. diamantschwartz... did you keep the sunroof lid off it? This one is pretty rusty, along with some other spots on the body... :(

they always are!

still got sunroof...however has got a few rust bubbles.....nothing that a angle grind, mild bog and a paint would fix but that defeats the purpose! the sunroof isnt too bad...can take pics if you want?

Sunroof suckers :finger:

I'm running a 3.64 now after going through a 4.45, 3.25, and 3.45.

3.73 would be the best ratio for the track but the 3.64 is a really good balance.

Yup, post a pic of it Gus, this one is seriously rusted all the way round. Will have to do some rust work on the car so will need to do a respray anyway. Going to strip it first though as it might be too far gone already in the sills. Can see signs of it under the MTECH side skirts.

Will try the 15" on it sometime, but seems like the ratio is good from the comments.... :)

3.46. Did have a 4.45 with my auto. Was loads of fun when gearbox conversion was done... Poor tyres didn't see it coming...

have circled the rust in pink

the white dust is just from where the car was...will come off

apart from rust the paint is mint

2.7 turbo would be badass

post-6-1124170311.jpg

you dont happen to live your life a 1/4 mile at a time do you emma?

im still bitter about the turning down of my marriage proposal

Don't know how Emma could turn down such a fine looking gentleman... :love:

but that aside, looks much better than the one on my heap, mine has BIG lumps sticking up, so I'm keen...

Gus, forget the carpet etc. I have pulled up the carpeting in this thing and the floorboards and sills are shot to hell!! I'm going to wreck it, which is what I intended to do when I bought it anyway but it looked too good when I took delivery of it so thought of putting it back on the road... (is currently dereg..)

i do have carpet...not sure how intact it is though

bugger bout the wrecking...i take it you will put diff/kit into another?

i run the 3.64 in my 335i.

with the amount of talk that i have problems in the wet. big paint strips are always the best. i do about 2500@100kph.

im currently looking for a 2.93:1 LSD from a e23. 0 - 100kph in 1st gear.

i do have carpet...not sure how intact it is though

bugger bout the wrecking...i take it you will put diff/kit into another?

Have that white 2door 318 here. Had long term intentions of trying to put a 540i motor in it but think I will just transfer the bits into that and find another 2door body later to have fun with.

Hey Tim, that beast of yours must go pretty well. Yours is the other slightly milder conversion i was considering if putting the 540 motor in wasn't going to be an option. i just luv the sound of a V8 thou'.. :P

with the amount of talk that i have problems in the wet. big paint strips are always the best. i do about 2500@100kph.

Ian has the 3.25 diff that I was running, you could try to wangle that off him as that's pretty long in the legs.

Guest Andrew

you can swap the gear set into your LSD .

Don't need to find a whole LSD if you've already got one.

sweet. i think i will do it that then. 3.25 sounds good. will look into that.

hey topless, have you seen that chick that works at mobil? when im living in tauranga i always stop in there and get her to fill my truck up.

hey topless, have you seen that chick that works at mobil? when im living in tauranga i always stop in there and get her to fill my truck up.

Nope, but sounds like I need to go have a look.... maybe i'll be changing filling stations.. :P

Guest Andrew

I should pop in an see your cars one day also - i'm through paeroa twice a week.. weds and fri

damn I always fill up at shell in ngatea

Sounds good Andrew, I would really like to have a look at your car and discuss things like 2.7 and turbo...

I am on leave at the moment so will be home all next week. I am not far from the L&P Cafe, so give me a yell if you have the time.

Guest Andrew

Sounds good Andrew, I would really like to have a look at your car and discuss things like 2.7 and turbo...

I am on leave at the moment so will be home all next week. I am not far from the L&P Cafe, so give me a yell if you have the time.

ahh the one week I don't have my car hah - Its getting Link installed.

I usually drive my company car down. I'll be staying in TGA Wed -> Fri next week and could see you on the way back on Fri?