Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

97 M3 EVO tidy up

swap the mags in the sedan with the m3... walah colour scheme matching rims on all 3 cars :)

just joking around, all cars look really damn good

Dont worry, I tried that already! was more to see how it would ride on 17s but they wouldnt clear the front brakes. And also sold the 328i last weekend so didnt have time to take the good tyres off it either, or the headunit. It currently has the style 32s on it and the touring has the black 19s off the M3 just for a swap around unit I get tyres for the style 5s

Good stuff Justin, looks like it's coming along well.

Cheers Michael, not far away now! Was abit gutted I got the wrong hose for it tho, was hoping to be driving it again this week but probably wont be untill next week now since repco didnt have anything.

Got the bushes done this morning so got the arms all bolted up again and wheels on ready to roll again aswell as putting viscous fan, and radiator shrouds and front plastic cover back on.

also fixed up the underside plastic tray as had 3 big holes so taped the underside of them up, filled them in with some fibre reinforced putty, pulled tape off and did a light coat on the underside then a quick sand and abit of paint its come up as good as new.

Also was reading the users manual with the morning coffee since the folder was on the bench and got to the towing capacity section which clearly stats in bold writing that a M3 is prohibitted from towing, even tho mine is fitted with a towbar... wonder what the reasoning behind that is

Yeah it's always frustrating when time runs short and the jobs not done in time for a test drive. Then again, the extra wait makes a delayed drive all the more rewarding! ;)

Also was reading the users manual with the morning coffee since the folder was on the bench and got to the towing capacity section which clearly stats in bold writing that a M3 is prohibitted from towing, even tho mine is fitted with a towbar... wonder what the reasoning behind that is

That's interesting.... perhaps it was for warranty purposes back in the day... or that the rear structural design of the chassis doesn't allow for an appropriate tow bar frame to be mounted that can support an extra load?

Yeah it's always frustrating when time runs short and the jobs not done in time for a test drive. Then again, the extra wait makes a delayed drive all the more rewarding! ;)

Haha yes that is true! I am dying to take it out again now that I know Its safe to take it up to full revs and for a bit of extra sprited driving :D have only taken it up to about 5k rpm and thats when it gets its second win

That's interesting.... perhaps it was for warranty purposes back in the day... or that the rear structural design of the chassis doesn't allow for an appropriate tow bar frame to be mounted that can support an extra load?

I would of thought the rearend would be the same setup as a normal coupe bar the subframe etc

Are you using the purple rear subframe bushes?

Just for the rear bushes on the front lower arms at this stage to eliminate the known issues. once Ive driven it for a while I may look at replacing the rear subframe, rtab's and diff bushes to the powerflex bushes.

post-5102-1361345637.jpg

Only just saw this thread...

That has to be one of the best line ups of e36's (from 1 owner) that I have ever seen! The Touring looks fricken awesome with the 32's!

Strange, I have not seen any of them around town!?

Edited by cliffdunedin

Cheers Cliff. The M3s only been in town since the end of last year and the previous owner only drove it down from Timaru then parked it up with the intentions of doing what Im going through now but didnt have time so thats how I ended up with it and have driven it maybe 3-4 times before i started work on it. But Im surprised you never saw the 328, Ive had that for four years, up untill last weekend which sold to a guy in CHCH.

Theres afew (4-5) of us that are trying to get a monthly meet/bbq going so would be good if you could come along and Il let ya take a close up look of the remaining two E36s I have :P

ITS ALIVE!!! and better than ever! Got the last hose yesterday and the gaskets last week so all back together now and running like a dream. No more tappity tap from the valves and no more funny noise from the vanos when cold either which I'm stoked about. Idles so much smoother and seems to go alot better aswell. Changing the gearbox fluid from royal purple to redlines d4 ATF has made shifting so much smoother aswell.

Rides alot nicer now too with the new front bushes and rear shock mounts aswell as not having to hear them banging around! Currently has the 18" style 32s off the touring which also makes a difference I think even tho it's the same size profile as the 19s.

Now alls that's left to do is what's left on the cosmetic list but no real rush for that, wanna enjoy the car before winter sets in

Good job. I think general maintenance like this is the best kind of work to do if ones serious about enjoying their car.

Edited by Michael.

Yea your right there Michael, no point having a play car if it drives and runs poorly and potentially unreliable. Or any car for that matter!

been a while since an update but have just been cruising through schmiedmann making up a parts list for mostly the M3 and afew bits for the touring ( adjustys -300nz! winning :D ). went to look at some new coupe door seals and holy shitballs theyre expencive!! $500nz a piece! and then duty on that. that seems crazy maybe Il just silicon mine up...

also heres a bad pic with the type3 schnitzers that I cant drive on yet for risk of front wheels falling off!

post-5102-1369729832.jpg

Edited by euroriffic

The coilovers work out to just over $600NZD delivered... Can't seem to find any reviews on it though?? Or am I just not looking properly? Could be good value though with the 80/80 adjustment. Not too keen on the Schnitzers myself. But when you have the luxury of many sets... :D

they should be alright...I hope. And because Im getting a few other bits it doesn't make the shipping quite so much but duty will be the killer...$250. still cheaper than getting it all here tho I think...

E: I know the type3's arnt to everyones tastes, but as you said, if I get sick of them,Il put one of the other sets on :D

Edited by euroriffic

So did you order the coilovers? If so, I can get a review outta you haha! :D

Haha nah I havn't yet. Gunna go over the M3 tonight and make sure I don't need anything else before I make my order. But yes il give you a good review on them once fitted. I was gunna buy the ones ray was selling but missed the auction ending, went for 500 with swaybars

Cheers Kyu!

Bit of an update: went to panel beaters today to get the front end tidied up so hopefully have it back by the end of the week :) also ordered a heap of bits from Schmiedmann finally, didn't get the coilovers tho, thought I'm best to spend money else where and can also get them cheaper off eBay. Also brought some goodies off eBay too so will update when they arrive and get a chance to fit them.

Got her back last Sunday and looking all pretty again! One thing I have noticed today though after finally having a chance to take a good look is that the new genuine indicator doesn't quite fit properly so will take a look at that over the weekend. My eBay goodies all showed up his week as well as new p.plates so tonight I fitted them all up. That comprised of M stitched alcantara gear and E brake boots-also got leather since the were so cheap but seem good quality, brushed black alloy M pedal covers, and a ///M 6spd illuminated zhp gear knob. Had it all wired up and tested, but as I slid it down it tore one of the wires off so doesn't go no more. Man was I f**ked off! So started pulling it to bits to find it's all hot glued in so will have to try to pick it all out and resolder some stronger wire to it. Will post picks up tomorrow night.

yea it sucks big time! not something you want to happen to a $150 item.

heres afew crappy photos of what Ive got so far, couldn't find the camera so no incar shots as ipod was too crappy to pic it up good

post-5102-1371803612.jpg

post-5102-1371803631.jpg

post-5102-1371803641.jpg

post-5102-1371803661.jpg

post-5102-1371803670.jpg

also selling afew of the german bagdes since I have so many...

Edited by euroriffic

All looks great! Always a joy to have a whole lot of stuff show up to go in the car.

Boots look really good...

Cheers Tristan, still waiting on a big box from Schmiedmann to arrive too! Then I can finally roll with the schnitzers on

Looking good Justin! Credit card must need some downtime now haha. Mind if I ask where you got the pedal covers from?

Haha yea it's had a hammering as of late. I got the pedal covers off eBay for about 20buks. Only problem I found was it's designed for lhd so the dead pedal is abit too wide to fit without catching your foot on it when using th clutch so might give it a trim down then refit.