Local to Auckland preferred but willing to travel for the right car

Edited by Tristan

After an E46 M3

Manual or SMG

Coupe

Less than 100,000kms

Service History

Local to Auckland preferred but willing to travel for the right car

There was a tidy metallic grey one at a dealership on Great North Rd near Ponsonby. Think it belonged to one of the dealers - a young guy - he may be a member on here. Pretty sure he was willing to sell for the right price (which might be totally wrong for you - from memory he wanted around $45K).

A few on TM that are much cheaper than his high asking price though - you've probably already looked:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-559320804.htm

You might want to take the sail of this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-561832831.htm

Low kms (if genuine):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-560619695.htm

Tom (M3_Power) can give you lots of advice when looking, I reckon.

Edited by jeffbebe

I drove the white one, it was a sack of sh*t. Felt like it has been abused every day for its whole life, which is sad.

It also has been totally repainted. Original colour is black. It very obviously isn't the original colour (the paintwork has rippling, texture, etc.)

The black one at the same place I didn't even drive. I don't feel comfortable buying a car that has been "done up" by previous owners. In that particular example, I didn't like the fact the owner felt the need to put a big spoiler on, change the steering wheel, rear diffuser from memory.

That blue one I've seen on TM. I wrote it off for some reason but upon reconsideration I'll go have a look this weekend.

In regards to the "grey" one you mentioned, was that the silver one that belonged to the young dealer, Scott, on the forum. I think he had an Evo prior. Might go have a look at it as the mileage is good.

In saying this, he's moving it on pretty soon after buying it.

... I wonder why

In saying this, he's moving it on pretty soon after buying it.

... I wonder why

I think, but can't guarantee, that his main reason for on-selling is because he's a car dealer and grabs any opportunity to make a few $$s!

I think, but can't guarantee, that his main reason for on-selling is because he's a car dealer and grabs any opportunity to make a few $$s!

Valid ;) I'm sure it's fine and I've just texted him regarding it.

my neighbours a car dealer. Everything is always for sale. it's just how they work. I wouldn't read too much into it.

my neighbours a car dealer. Everything is always for sale. it's just how they work. I wouldn't read too much into it.

If the young guy is Chris then he probably wholesales more secondhand M3s and evo's than the rest of the Auckland market. The good ones he will keep for a while and then move on. Let me know if you want his details.

Try a number of M3 s regardless of KMs first. I found they varied quite a bit in terms of tightness There are also a few low km ones around still. I waited about 6 months for the right one with lowish KMs (47 km) which felt tight. Needed a couple of scratches and curbing dealt to. But nothing major.

Edited by Neal

If the young guy is Chris then he probably wholesales more secondhand M3s and evo's than the rest of the Auckland market. The good ones he will keep for a while and then move on. Let me know if you want his details.

Try a number of M3 s regardless of KMs first. I found they varied quite a bit in terms of tightness There are also a few low km ones around still. I waited about 6 months for the right one with lowish KMs (47 km) which felt tight. Needed a couple of scratches and curbing dealt to. But nothing major.

It wasn't Chris, but regardless it would probably be handy if you could PM me his number. Might just have my dream car.

Yep, in any case I can't do anything until my E39 moves on so that gives me more time to find the right M3.

Thanks

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-555243016.htm

?

Slightly over 100kms but working Nav is a plus. Also the interior will make Jeffbebe jealous...

Also I guess there is nothing like an M3 but for that kind of money you're getting pretty close to 335i's in the newer body shape with the same amount of km's.

Edited by NZ BMW

Slightly over 100kms but working Nav is a plus. Also the interior will make Jeffbebe jealous...

Sure will, gorgeous. Lose the black wheels and this would be spectacular.

Unfortunately went and looked and that ones a bit shabby. Still need to take it for a drive though.

Thought about 335s but the insurance on a twin-turbo kills me.

Unfortunately went and looked and that ones a bit shabby. Still need to take it for a drive though.

and insurance on an m3 won't kill you ?

can you handle an m3 ?

budget for some advanced driving lessons too young fella.

;)

can you handle an m3 ?

;)

Seeing as it's not turboed, the insurance is substantially less.

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Tristan

Black M3 Yep I went and looked at this one too after driving past it each day for a month - unfortunately it's in quite shabby condition. It's also been for sale for a fair while.

Insurance on my M3 isn't bad compared to quotes I've seen for less powerful vehicles (I'm <30 years old too).

Hang out for the right one - they're popping up more and more frequently since Xmas it seems - maybe the E92's are becoming an affordable upgrade? I'm seeing lots more of these on the road now too.

can you handle an m3 ?

;)

I'm pushing 40 but don't think I could handle one... DSC is designed to keep average drivers like me on the road in insanely performanced cars, right?!

Agree totally with getting advanced driving lessons for a car like this, regardless of age (but especially for the younger ones - personal risk assessment ain't fully developed when you're under 25 that's for sure!!).

I'd really love to own a weekend M5 but not until I can afford to a) keep it in mint condition and B) learn to drive it properly (on a track!)

In regards to driver training I've already done BMW ones and plan to do more, just waiting for my girlfriend to catch up so we can do the same level at the same time.

I'm hoping I can work something out on Matthew's M3 B)

Edited by Tristan

In regards to driver training I've already done BMW ones and plan to do more, just waiting for my girlfriend to catch up so we can do the same level at the same time.

I'm hoping I can work something out on Matthew's M3 B)

Good on you... BTW, at your age girlfriends come and go... Mint M3s don't ;)