Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

e39 touring wheel options

So getting to the point where I'm going to need want to replace the 17's and put something a bit bigger on, they look a little small, thinking staggered setup but really need some ideas.

So in our house the wheel selection has a couple of tests, I choose 5 wheels that I like, I find find prices on all do some PhotoShop in different angles then pass them to the gf who picks from there. Keeps the peace haha.

From quick reading I know about the bore size needed, and offset around 20 which should work with a 9" width or might I need to go lower offset.

Edited by Mr2low

Keep the 17" M5 reps. Looks like around a 45 profile on your current wheels - bear in mind the lower the profile, the harsher the ride quality. Plus the higher the wheel diameter the greater likelihood of buckling the rim thanks to our goat tracks that pass for roads. If you're looking for a gangsta pimped out showboat then by all means slap on 19s or 20s; however if you want a comfortable touring wagon then keep it the way BMW intended it to be. The E39 M5 only ever came out on 17", and look at how well that monster rides!

In short, 17" oem wheels great :) but then I'm a cranky old fart with my own opinions - if big rims make ya happy then go for it!

did the 66's ever come in an 18" or were they just a 17" I've been looking at those for a while I love them just think with the tourings bulk in the rear they'd look undersized like the current 17's

yeah 235/45 this would be the most comfortable ride I've owned, 70's minis on 10's haha, sw20 mr2 17x8 front 18x9 rear. Looks balanced 18's look silly on the front, not after the pimped gansta wagon but something the makes you go sh*t that looks nice, if I can say that hehe. And as for NZ roads my god I've never been so shocked in my life, poor excuse for roads not even finished properly. First thing I learnt in NZ don't use Yokohama lol they do not last on sand paper roads as unlike to call them

Edited by Mr2low

Mine came with these

post-9605-1362211997.jpg

post-9605-1362212036.jpg

Now aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, however these are EASY to clean.

Keep the 17" M5 reps. Looks like around a 45 profile on your current wheels - bear in mind the lower the profile, the harsher the ride quality. Plus the higher the wheel diameter the greater likelihood of buckling the rim thanks to our goat tracks that pass for roads. If you're looking for a gangsta pimped out showboat then by all means slap on 19s or 20s; however if you want a comfortable touring wagon then keep it the way BMW intended it to be. The E39 M5 only ever came out on 17", and look at how well that monster rides!

In short, 17" oem wheels great :) but then I'm a cranky old fart with my own opinions - if big rims make ya happy then go for it!

The e39 M5 has 18" wheels. Be careful with running wider rear rims, as they may not clear the inner wheel liners.

I don't know why you want to change the wheels that are on the car. They look great and are period correct. I'd get some new centre caos though.

I don't know why you want to change the wheels that are on the car. They look great and are period correct. I'd get some new centre caos though.

that's an easy one the finish isn't amazing chips and scratches all over missing 2 centre caps one doesn't fit properly guessing from a different wheel, m badges have gone yuck plus the 8" on the rear looks silly and I figure to have these refurbished and get new caps and badges probably cost 500-600. May as well get some new ones and use these on the sedan to replace the 16's to make it look nicer when I sell it.

I love the look of these - would love to set up my Touring with these, but no extra cash :(

post-2173-1362359920.jpg

Somebody here can hopefull tell me what these wheels are :)

These look like style 123 wheels from an E60 I think.

Would have thought the centre bore would be too small for an E39?

I love the look of these - would love to set up my Touring with these, but no extra cash :(

post-2173-1362359920.jpg

Somebody here can hopefull tell me what these wheels are :)