Sign in to follow this  
pldubs

intake has started banging and popping

took my e30 up the street to try figure out what was knocking ( still havent ) and it started farting out the intake.

at first i thought it was an exhaust leak but then there is no pitapata idle

sooo maybe plugs? leads? some other random sh*t?

help is much appreciated as i was planning on getting it legal in a couple weeks..

Edited by pldubs

excuse the ignorance, but is this the M20 E30 in your alias thing?

excuse the ignorance, but is this the M20 E30 in your alias thing?

No worries. Yeah, it is.

check for moisture/carbon build up etc in the dizzy cap ,

excessive wear in the cap and rotor etc

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Cheers mate will do.

I pulled out the plugs, all were ok apart from 1 it was black as.. so ive got a couple new ones to chuck in today.

Hopefully the dizzy isnt f**ked and just needs a clean or whatever.

So, the Dizzy Cap is pretty worn but wasnt overly dirty or anything

Gave it a clean, changed over some leads, new plugs and put a factory Intake on. ( dont ask why it had a podfilter )

runs fine when I give it f**k all throttle but anywhere past 10% it starts cracking and snapping inside the Intake Manifold..

going to give a new fuel filter a crack today ( And some 98Fuel ) and see if that makes any difference.

If not, ill drop the money on a new Dizzy next month ( Ball and Chain probably wants a birthday present ) and see what that achieves.

Chur

Is it a front mounted dizzy (on the cam) or one under the intake?

Are you sure the leads are going to the right plugs?

start it at night and look for loss of spark a plug lead earthing somwhere maybe??

check plug to airflow meter aswell

inspect underside of intake for a vacuum hose that came off, have had that before revs high and splutters with popping sound

Is it a front mounted dizzy (on the cam) or one under the intake?

Are you sure the leads are going to the right plugs?

Yeah Mate PFL m20b25 so its on the cam.

100% all the leads are right.

inspect underside of intake for a vacuum hose that came off, have had that before revs high and splutters with popping sound

This! Check all hoses connected to intake and that they're not blocked or restricted someway. Had the same in my CL9, sounded like it was going to detonate.

start it at night and look for loss of spark a plug lead earthing somwhere maybe??

check plug to airflow meter aswell

Its gota be something small like a hose or a shitty injector or w/e. the more I think about it the less I think it is the dizzy or leads due to it idling absolutely fine.

Its gota be something small like a hose or a shitty injector or w/e. the more I think about it the less I think it is the dizzy or leads due to it idling absolutely fine.

check all the hoses as in remove and clean refit not just look at them or feel them haha

start with the one from cam cover to bottom of intake can fill with crap causes all kinds of issues...um and then by the idle control valve and all connecting hoses to the throttle body but avoid the coolant hoses if yours has the old wax system as they are brittle connection to the waxy thing on throttle body...basically just trace them back before disconnecting

good luck mate

p.s may also wana try a mates air flow meter

Sounds like this now...

have replaced the

Cap/Rotor as his rotor had cracked and fell apart when he removed it.

Cap was extremely worn.

leads are quite wiggly but could be nothing (has my known good leads on it at the moment)

two sets of plugs... they foul up instantly.

Sounds a bit like a lawnmower on acceleration. put some more fuel in it and it seemed to stop doing that mad tap at idle. Vac gauge would sharply decrease each snap (probably indicating a missfire.)

Internet diagnostics kgo! get it scanned/checkdizzycap

Oh and I cleaned out the horrible hose under the intake, ICV, Intake boot and all the other tidbits, I expect it probably still has a vaccume leak and the hose under the intake isn't too flash but it seemed to be sealed up

I wonder if bad fuel is doing something here...

that sounds terrible! could it be a stuck intake valve or not sealing right and its firing back through the intake or maybe the cam belts skipped afew teeth? have you put a timing light on it to see if its firing right? i can come try give ya a hand if you want

Edited by euroriffic

Nah got no timing light, hopefully can get one.

We're trying to work it out now... just popped home to grab all my manuals and sh*t.. need to get the workshop PC going... never enough free time.

I've lost your number but help would be sweet. my numbers in the meeting thread anyway if you don't have it.

Looking like a fuel injector at the moment... uplug injector 1, no improvement.. unplug injector 6 engine runs worse.

Removed all 6 injectors and injector 1 is quite covered in carbon and looks like someone has had a go at removing it before.

Can proberbly get a timing light tomorrow if you guys are making round on it tomorrow

Can proberbly get a timing light tomorrow if you guys are making round on it tomorrow

yo justin, i think were going to give it a good smash on friday. gimmie a text 0297733266

it still needs the shocks put it and the brakes bled electric windows sussed and we might have a 318 to go look at aswel

so its looking like a big day.

Sounds good to me, il flick ya a txt later in the week and let me know if you want to bring anything

So, After a few Weeks the problem has been discovered ( Sorry e30ftw.. I honestly didnt even read that reply till now )

A BROKEN ROCKER ARM!

So Ive figured I may aswel rip the head off and give it a look over to make sure it hasn't ruined anything else.

Not sure if I should Get some work done to the head or just leave it factory.. Thoughts?

Edited by pldubs