Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

E34 525i Buying advice

Hi team,

It's been a while since I've been on this site - cool to see it still going so well.

I'm looking at a cheap e34 and am wanting to know what to look out for.

Like any old car I expect it to be pretty loose and need a bit of work which is not a problem.

I know m50s are pretty easy to come by... god forbid it shits itself. How about things like boxes and diffs?

What could I expect to pay for an m60? Do they come up very often? Bolt in?

How about manual box? Similar sort of job as an e30 conversion I assume?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Hi team,

It's been a while since I've been on this site - cool to see it still going so well.

I'm looking at a cheap e34 and am wanting to know what to look out for.

Like any old car I expect it to be pretty loose and need a bit of work which is not a problem.

I know m50s are pretty easy to come by... god forbid it shits itself. How about things like boxes and diffs?

What could I expect to pay for an m60? Do they come up very often? Bolt in?

How about manual box? Similar sort of job as an e30 conversion I assume?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

no specific knowledge here aprt from some knowledge of e 34. Th e M50 is a pretty well used engine.It may not be exactly the same ine 325 guise there is that resource.M60 will bolt in,the factory did it,but there are some differences between the two installs.The v8 is a tight fit so the brake system is different,and radiators too i guess,not to mention requiring bigger brakes and suspemsion once you put the v8 in.The only problem with putting in a m60 is that a manual box is even more rare for them

im selling an e34 535i if ur keen, or someone else is selling another 535i must cheaper than mine, both in the for sale section

525i M50 go good, mine's pretty reliable... slow though.

Personally if you're wanting to stick an M60 in it just get a 540i, there's enough of them.

Thanks guys.

I bought the car I was eyeing. What happened to the market for these? I can't believe how cheap I got it, almost felt sorry for the guy.

The exterior is in very good condition. The interior is showing its age, and there's a few trim pieces missing/broken. Most annoying thing for now is the fan motor makes this terrible squeaking sound intermittently. The car has been garaged since 2007 so perhaps it'll come right with a bit of use. The left side speakers don't work; the rear one is not even wired up for some strange reason. I think I'll buy a new head unit anyway and overhaul the lot as one job.

Mechanically it seems OK. Engine and driveline feel pretty bulletproof and so silky smooth. To my surprise it has a 5 speed auto which I didn't know the 525i ever got. Having only driven manuals I was not looking forward to the slush box but its far better than I expected. The steering has a lot of play... I'll take it in to someone who knows what they're doing to get that looked at.

The brakes are far from what they should be. I think they'll need more work then just a fluid change. Again I'll leave that to the experts.

Also on my to do list is a full fluid/oil service, replace the filters and give it a good wax.

Down the line I'd like to get some new wheels but I'm in no rush as the standard ones I quite like and they have Potenzas with plenty of tread on them which I thought was a good score. The rear shocks are on their way out but I'll replace those when I get new wheels.

It's so nice to finally have a car I care about and not a jap shitter to just get from A to B. Even though it's a very old, relatively high mileage and has seen better days this car feels special and I'm very happy with it.

Posted Image

It's a jap import with 247,000km

Thanks guys.

I bought the car I was eyeing. What happened to the market for these? I can't believe how cheap I got it, almost felt sorry for the guy.

5 series are underated.Most seem to choose a 3 series when imho a 5 series most of the time is a far better car.A fact of life.I always though it a little amusing when e30 325 autos with open diffs and no body kit were selling for more than my 535is

Edited by kiwi535

^Ha, hi Ben!

I tried to change the oil in it today, but some mong tightened the drain plug up too tight last time the put it in so it came out in two bits. Repco doesn't have the right part unfortunately.

Where's my best bet to find a replacement one?

A generic metric bolt will work... just get a crush washer... (included in your genuine filter kit)

I have an M52 oil pan sitting on the floor if you really get stuck.

Surely a dealer would stock them for next to nothing?

Theres a bmw wreaker in Tauranga isn’t there? If you have no luck the missis will be over there in the weekend I can give her a spare one I have to take with.

^Ha, hi Ben!

I tried to change the oil in it today, but some mong tightened the drain plug up too tight last time the put it in so it came out in two bits. Repco doesn't have the right part unfortunately.

Where's my best bet to find a replacement one?

Thanks, yeah coombes johnston had one for me. For some reason I didn't think they'd carry any 20+ year old parts.

Gave the car a wash and wax tonight, looks real nice. Will throw some pictures up tomorrow.

Loving driving/looking/thinking about the beast at the moment. I'm headed to wellington this weekend, should be a good test of its reliability.

It only came with one key and to get a spare will cost $180~ - so about what I expected.

Theres a bmw wreaker in Tauranga isn’t there? If you have no luck the missis will be over there in the weekend I can give her a spare one I have to take with.

Yea there is, Birch Ave auto spares.

$180, is that for a remote locking key?

Yea there is, Birch Ave auto spares.

$180, is that for a remote locking key?

Nah, it's standard with an immobilizer (i think). Has to come in from Germany

This is stupid but is there a trick to removing centrecaps?

My wheels are like these:

Posted Image

I don't want to pry them off in case I break a clip or something.

Should have the proper tool in the rhs of the boot unless someone removed it, otherwise a screw driver wedged in to pop it works fine.

Ive done it more times than i can remember so i doubt you will break anything, BBS alloys are quality.

Should have the proper tool in the rhs of the boot unless someone removed it, otherwise a screw driver wedged in to pop it works fine.

Ive done it more times than i can remember so i doubt you will break anything, BBS alloys are quality.

?

You need to turn the big nut a bit - if you don't undo the locking mechanism first, the screwdriver may break the clips on the back and then they fall off.

It's one of those other kind.... pull them directly towards you.

It's got that same little arrow my "honeycomb" set have to line back up when you slap it back down.

never seen a set like that, you might be right michael! im sure i would have noticed that arrow usually. i have only seen twist type ones

Hmmm, whatever the case may be they popped off fine with a carefully placed screwdriver. I've chucked a few more pics up in the showroom forum