Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

Manual conversion

I wanna do the manual conversion in the future sometime on my 88 320i,

So I will be on the lookout for a gearbox. Which is the best one for the job, my diff

is a 4.27 open. What is there to choose from ? Or do you just get a 5 speed Getrag

from a late model 325i?

getrag 260.....that the only one to go for!

make sure you get all the associated bits, its often easier to buy a wrecked car, just so you have everything. they not that expensive

Depends on what you want.

If you've got a 320 or 323 then you can use the Getrag 260 or 265 gearboxes. If you've got a 325 then you need, at a minimum, the 325 flywheel.

Since you've got the 320 then there's three to choose from, 320, 323, 325. The 323 is the bigger box. The 320 has a closer 1st and 2nd.

As for diffs, you can change these relatively easily (30mins - 1 hr). With the 320 anything below 3.45 gets too hard to pull and over 3.91 too short/uneconomical

Hope that helps

Edited by ///Carl

Thanks Carl - awesome answer.

Looking into this myself if I find a nice smooth-running rusted-to-sh*t f/l e30.

Quick query - are f/l and pre-f/l gearboxes the same/have the same mounts up to bellhousing etc - ie can you use a pre-f/l 'box to convert a f/l auto to manual?

The only difference between the facelift and the pre-fl is the driveshaft bearing housing and the g/box support x-member thingee.

So basically you are telling me that it is not a problem. Good.

I don't mind having to get the support x-member fabricated as long as the driveshaft bearing housing isn't going to cause me significant trouble.

Beleive me - finding a wrecked f/l with a manual in good cond is damn near impossible!

Put me down to watch carl do the diff change in the 30 mins to 1 hour :P

Cross member is the same , its just the bearing holder that supports the center of the drive shaft. You can get a new one for around $100.00.

As you have a F/L 320i, Any box from 320 or 323, will be OK. Peddal box is the same on the auto, just need to have both of the Manual peddals to swap.

Need to watch out for both master and slave cylinders for the Clutch, as most need rekitting. Its easy to do before you do the swap.

The other difference is in the type of gear selector, early pre face lift is a pannel steel arrangement, later F/L is a cast alloy unit.

Look into short shift as well, as that too is best done before you install the box.

Thanks guys for the info, will get a Sachs clutch kit and a short shift in advance, look at

getting it together by December, So Getrag 260 or 265.... Will keep the 4.27 until I can find/afford LSD. Would you reckon fuel economy better than Auto on highway and

mountainous country? Lightened fly wheel would be good but$$$$$$

Wrecked car maybe if I find one?

Depends on where your gear box comes from.

325i flywheel that i have at home is much heavier than the 323i one. And that is the same as the 320i one.

So if you get a box from either of 320, or 323 it is likey to be light enough.

Economy is definately better with manual box, however, that's assuming you cahnge the diff aswell. Running a short 4.27 won't be very good at all.

As for an LSD, don't waste your time, they're highly over-rated and not worth it for a 320.

Put me down to watch carl do the diff change in the 30 mins to 1 hour 

:P

I can do a diff change in under an hour and I'm an old fart.... Carl with all his youth should be able to cream it !!! :lol:

More good info!!!

Will have to go and see what ratio my diff is - looking more and more attractive to buy a wholecar every time I look at it.

I thought there was a difference with bellhousing for motronic and L-Jet? How hard is it to modify the bellhousing for the sensors?

I thought there was a difference with bellhousing for motronic and L-Jet? How hard is it to modify the bellhousing for the sensors?

I've just looked at doing this. Putting a 2.5 onto an older L-Jet 5sp box without the motronic sensor mountings. (I have a motronic box which I used as a template). Came to the conclusion that it is do-able but not worth the effort (on my part).

Would suggest an adjustable mount for the sensors so that they could be fine tuned timing-wise, that is if you really wanted to tackle it.... probably drive you to drink trying to get it perfect tho.. :beer: (not that that is a bad thing sometimes)... :P

As for an LSD, don't waste your time, they're highly over-rated and not worth it for a 320.

really? have you ever driven one? maybe for 320, but i wouldnt own an e30 without one...inside wheel light ups suck

the auto/man swap isnt too hard, just time consuming if you havnt done it before

the gearbox pick-ups are for the motronic 1.1 only.

the motronic 1.3 dosnt need these. the pick-ups are mounted in the block itself.

I could do a complete swap in half a day provided that all bits are there and are working. I have had some interesting situations.

that reminds me. im suppose to do dans g/b.

I will stick with the 4,27, when you say not very good at all Carl, do you mean worse off than the auto?

Hopefully with the 325i throttle body and manual conversion it will overcome some of that low end sluggishness. Still its fun to drive.

really? have you ever driven one? maybe for 320, but i wouldnt own an e30 without one...inside wheel light ups suck

the auto/man swap isnt too hard, just time consuming if you havnt done it before

Gus, I have driven both an E30 around a race track with an LSD and one without, and I couldn't tell the difference, so don't try that angle because it doesn't work.

If you are getting wheel sping then you're doing something wrong or you have a bad suspension setup.

All you people want LSD's for is to have two black lines.

LSD lets you put down power earlier

seriously you noticed no difference? im worried about you carl

i think its a lack of power from the 320.

i will demonstrate to you carl on the way up to aux. why i need a LSD and the importance.

LSD lets you put down power earlier

seriously you noticed no difference? im worried about you carl

Seriously, is that what you think??? It almost sounds as though you need training wheels but I could almost understand why Tim and Glenn would need one.

Getting the driving line correct is what lets you put down the power early and prevent inside wheel spin but I suppose then if you can't get it right the LSD would help.

Edited by ///Carl

you have a very good point there carl.

learning to drive with alot of power is difficult without LSD. and in saying that its not how fast the car can go but how fast the driver can drive the car.

gus, your a perfect example on driving technique. the word 'kerb' come to mind.

in saying that a word 'trailer' pops up aswell but thats a different story.

Guest Andrew

I noticed even taking correct lines - you can take correct lines and get power down earlier.

+ handling is just that more predictable - sideways is no fun without LSD.