Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Electric Torque Wrench

my antique manual one has decided 30 years is old enough and put itself into retirement.

Just looking at replacements now, found these new electronic ones on trade me here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-579292690.htm

am i kidding myself thinking these ones look like good units? I haven't had any issue with Powerbuilt brand stuff in the past. its not going to be in everyday use, already got 1/2" kit etc once a month if its lucky

or should i just face up and get another manual one?

I own like 4 torque wrenches of varying sizes and quality ... including a gearwrench electric one I imported privately (with supposedly -/+2% accuracy)

I torque practically every single bolt I can unless it's at an impossible angle to get to ...

If I am honest, I hate the electric ones ... the ability to have a simple audible click and feel through the torque wrench as you hit the pre-set torque figure is about as good as it gets - trying to read off the torque figure (even with audible tone) off the LCD display is a pain in the arse ...

Don't bother with the electric ones unless you are requiring to go down 2 decimal places for head studs and crank caps ... even then I think it's a bit overkill ....

I used the power built torque gauge on the build up of the bottom end of the s50 when doing bearing end caps and oil bolts. Its still going strong with no explosions 3-4 years later :)

They're are quite good those, allows you to using your own socket power bars and is very accurate.

Down side is that it can be a little awkward to use and your tightening you have to keep moving around with it. But once you get into the range of torqueing its not really an issue.

Other down side is it wont fit in tight places easily but then the same could be said about a fixed length powerbar torque wrench.

I also have the powerbuilt branded one in 1/4" drive (already have 3/8 and 1/2" drive mechanical wrenches). Got it specifically to do the super low torques used on my honda valve cover. I tested it against my 3/8 wrench on another higher torque bolt and it was spot on.

Im happy as with it, easy to use and accurate. Got to be careful when doing low torque though that you dont overshoot the target as itll go up quickly.

As mentioned above, it is large and needs a bit of space around it to use.

I have had the same manual wrench for about 30 years. Pays to buy top quality stuff to begin with. Dont use a lot these days, the old body dont like concrete floors and bending over guards anymore.

Great toy. Set the setting by sliding pionter up/down numbers, push rod in, pull on handle, rod pops out easy all done...

The thing might be old but is still as accurate as when it was new. Yup I checked it because of the post :)

well in regard to getting it into tight spaces, it wouldnt matter where it was on the shaft would it? or would a universal joint give false readings?

not that this matters for the suspension and gasket jobs im going to do on the E34 in the next week or so. just want the right decision.

maybe i will have to look at the actual size of the unit before deciding. At least you guys arent telling me they are total crap and not worth thinking about :)

Yeah I thought about the electric ones a while ago, but i couldn't justify what the high end ones were worth for the use, and the cheaper ones just seemed a bit gimmicky.

I've just stuck to a few different sizes of normal click type wrenches for different jobs, Like Tom, I practically do every bolt, or nut up to the correct specification.