Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

Microsoft Office for iPad

I've been given the task of sorting a couple of iPads for our staff.

They will be mainly used for emails, sending and receiving photos and inputting data into timesheets which are excel based.

What apps are out there to edit as well as create Microsoft Excel and Word documents? What experiences have others had with apps for MS Office? After having a brief look on the net, the best one seems to be CloudOn?

I know iPads are probably not the best tablet to use but these are for construction staff so ease of use is definitely a must!

You comments would be appreciated!

We've just done this for our business with about 20 devices.

Honestly, if you're a MS based business just go with a Windows 8 tablet. It will drive you nuts trying to get everything to work properly otherwise. We tried with Android during the testing to get apps to replace MS Office but when you can't open some formats, use macros and some formulas etc etc it's just a PITA and not worth it.

as much as i hate saying it, an Apple is not the best device to be using.

but if you already got them your stuck with them now, the Pages suite is the one to get. MS Office to Microsoft is like Pages to Mac/Apple

the Apple Mail app already built into it however is great.

but getting the files off is going to be a pain in the ass, thats why i suggest you dont use apple. you cant upload from an Apple, unless its to iCloud or iTunes depending on whether you want wireless or not. mind you the later iPads may be able to, i have a first gen and that can't

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

dataviz documents to go ,you will have to pay but it works very well has its own upload control thru iTunes as well as all the cloud usuals,can also use a desktop app with it

its been around since palm days, so very stable

office365 works in a browser so that works well to

theres a few googledocs apps too like good docs as an example

Edited by kwhelan

I probably would have done a bit of research first as I've just gone through this with a customer who bought 8 iPads for work without any consultation wanting full office suite, exchange & RDP functions. We got there but the labour charge was up there. Would suggest a Windows 7/8 based tablet, personally I'd prefer Windows 7 over 8 !

Thanks for your input guys.

Kevin, I'll check the app out that you've mentioned.

Sorry if my initial post was a little unclear. I have not purchased anything yet so just seeing whats best suited for the needs.

Cheers.

Edited by 3 SERIES

Thanks for your input guys.

Kevin, I'll check the app out that you've mentioned.

Sorry if my initial post was a little inclear. I have not purchased anything yet so just seeing whats best suited for the needs.

Cheers.

Win! Options galore now IMO.

I've been given the task of sorting a couple of iPads for our staff.

They will be mainly used for emails, sending and receiving photos and inputting data into timesheets which are excel based.

What apps are out there to edit as well as create Microsoft Excel and Word documents? What experiences have others had with apps for MS Office? After having a brief look on the net, the best one seems to be CloudOn?

I know iPads are probably not the best tablet to use but these are for construction staff so ease of use is definitely a must!

You comments would be appreciated!

Using quick office pro as our standard app for viewing and basic editing of office docs on our iPads. It's a reasonably cheap app as well. Ipad is an easy interface to first time tablet users. We've used them on a fairly wide group of users with differing IT literacy skills. Have played and have access to Windows 8 tablets , have a blackberry play book as well

My default tablet has become the ipad with a windows 7 laptop as backup for serious document creation and Visio drawings.