Sign in to follow this  
Dnz

Fog lights

Just saw the News at noon, and there was this thing about not being allowed fog lights on anymore unless there was fog. $100 fines for people who have em on during the day, and during non foggy nights.

I cant find this news anywhere else.. so i am just wondering why TV one is the only place that seems to report this?

This would be awful, as not only do foglights look cool, but theyre worth about 70% of the light output for my car! No fogs would be like driving with a flashlight.

In conclusion, anyone else heard this, and anyone know if there is some kind of petition against this somewhere?

yeah was in the LTSA's latest public notice thingie ... when all the new restrictions came in.

They dazzle drivers, which is true, but its usually only limited to a specifc vehicle to whether they pwn the oncoming traffic.

I'm all for it... despite loving the look off fogs. Dont mind them being on in the day, but i guess day / night it shouldnt matter, they're for fog.

Yeah - that came in a month or two back - not allowed them except in unclear atmospheric conditions i.e. fog.

There was a discussion on here then but I'm too lazy to search it for you. It is all clearly spelt out in the LTSA website under lighting.

I like the look of fogs, but what can you do???

I thought the rule was you were only allowed them on in 100km areas?

It depends, isn't there some aguement or grey area with regards driving lights vs fog lights.

I seem to recall that additional lights we have on our BMW's are classed as driving lights as opposed to fog lights...but I may be mistaken.

Cheers

Grant

It depends, isn't there some aguement or grey area with regards driving lights vs fog lights.

I seem to recall that additional lights we have on our BMW's are classed as driving lights as opposed to fog lights...but I may be mistaken.

Cheers

Grant

Aren't fog lights yellow?

For all you haters above, thank your bureaucracy that the blue, yellow, pink, super white mini spot light craze is finished.

Posted Image

Edited by m325i

driving / fog lights are for pussy's anyways :P

west

Guest Spargo

driving / fog lights are for pussy's anyways :P

west

Lights full stop are for pussies. I use night vision gear.

I usually drive to work in the mornings with my park lights and 'driving' lights on. I see it a safety factor as other vehicles can see me.

I always have them on at night too so will keep doing it until I'm told not to. Mine aren't that bad. When driving my dads Discovery though, that's another story. They light up half of Auckland so I could understand that being pulled over.

That is actually a pet hate is f#$tard Remuera tractor drivers that insist on having their set of 4 Hella spotties on - that's just ridiculous.

absolute rubbish

i hate how the government is legislating EVERYTHING...a crime to drive with your lights on? sure some fogs are bright, but honestly how much worse are they than normal lights?

the figures are 7deaths and 18 injuries due to light blinding, how many of those are actualy due to fog lights in particular and how many more crashes are there going to be due to cars being less visible on the road?

just another way to rip off motorists already being taxed riduculously through petrol, and sh*t loads of other rubbish road laws

I was always driving on with my lights. It was my little piece of riceness. But feel free to find me evidence to continue doing so in the future.

try here and here.Let us know what you find out.In my experience most BMW,s with extra lights have proper fog lights,ie facing down,flood lamps

I dont have an issue with proper fog lights but some cars have lights that are justa pain in the retina,commodores,4wd with there fog lights mounted high on their bull bars.....you just dont need 220 watts driving through the suburbs

Edited by kiwi535

I believe fog-light rules are actually in the road code, they are just tightening the enforcements.

Late model Commodore have really bad fog/driving light which aims too high.

I would love to see all WOF station have a beam setter that calibrated and operators that knows how to use them properly.

I believe fog-light rules are actually in the road code, they are just tightening the enforcements.

Late model Commodore have really bad fog/driving light which aims too high.

I would love to see all WOF station have a beam setter that calibrated and operators that knows how to use them properly.

werd

Guest Andrew

I gained about 3 hp from removing my fogs AND saved myself the chance of getting a 100 fine.

You should all learn from me!

I love the govt.

I gained about 3 hp from removing my fogs AND saved myself the chance of getting a 100 fine.

You should all learn from me!

I love the govt.

plus you can mak some badass brake ducts if you want. mega. Edited by bmwsparkle

> I gained about 3 hp from removing my fogs AND saved myself the chance of getting a 100 fine.

Hi Andrew, I must admit to being intrigued by that statement. Could you please explain to a thicko (me) how that works?? ;)

By not operating the lamps, assuming them to be 55W each = 110W and one HP being 746W, I can see a saving of about 0.15 HP, about a seventh of HP, assuming 100% efficiency, of course.

Removing the lamps physically would remove about 1 kg of weight from the car, which I can't see making a huge difference.

Are you calculating wind resistance in there??

Rog, having a pedantic Monday morning - back at work after a short holiday and not very pleased about that!

:P

Guest Andrew

> I gained about 3 hp from removing my fogs AND saved myself the chance of getting a 100 fine.

Hi Andrew, I must admit to being intrigued by that statement. Could you please explain to a thicko (me) how that works?? ;)

By not operating the lamps, assuming them to be 55W each = 110W and one HP being 746W, I can see a saving of about 0.15 HP, about a seventh of HP, assuming 100% efficiency, of course.

Removing the lamps physically would remove about 1 kg of weight from the car, which I can't see making a huge difference.

Are you calculating wind resistance in there??

Rog, having a pedantic Monday morning - back at work after a short holiday and not very pleased about that!

:P

:D

hah lets work this out.

From what you said yes there is the additional 0.15 hp. PLUS

- 0.53hp (calculated on the dyno of course) from the extra air flowing up through custom cardboard intakes in the fog light holes that go straight into the intake manifold (for massive torque).

The dizzy is slightly cooler and transfers a slightly better spark to the plugs (0.78 hp).

1 kg off a 1000 kg car that has 170 hp at the wheels would mean the power/weight ratio is now increased - effectively adding more hp.

Then i got extra vtech from the removal.

HUH??? :wacko:

Just what is vtech anyway,piss take?

yes, its called sarcasim, you cant see it on web forums...
Ta

Okay. I just sat here for about 5 minutes watching My_E36's sig. Damn it's hypnotizing. Or maybe it's just the pain killers that i'm on.