Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E30 M3 at a reasonable price

Ok, I went and had a look at this car today.

It is very clean, straight and tidy, everything seems to work as it should. But there are just a couple of odd things. "the left inner front guard has been replaced". Really? that is why the paint code sticker says it is Diamantschwarz, whereas the car is Lachsilber (or more likely dolphin grey). Gear knob need replaced, no big deal. Aftermarket drivers seat. The other front and rear seats are in Ok condition, stitching coming apart in one or two places. But, the door trims are different to the seat trim, and the rear side interior panels are different again. There are a few little nicks and scratches, nothing too serious. It is Japan spec, so standard gearbox, not dog-leg. I am tempted, but...

Mentioned before in this thread - page 2:

e30 M3

As anyone else looked at this car? Any other feedback would be great

Any euro spec m3 at this price is good value. Just so long as its not riddled with rust. Somebody buy it and restore it! Quick before they're too expensive.

Any euro spec m3 at this price is good value. Just so long as its not riddled with rust. Somebody buy it and restore it! Quick before they're too expensive.

i wished it was in chch so i can go and view

is jap spec same as euro? is the normal gearbox ok or dogleg alot better?

how often does a e30 m3 come up for this type of price?

is jap spec same as euro? is the normal gearbox ok or dogleg alot better?

how often does a e30 m3 come up for this type of price?

Most Jap cars are US Spec, with the std pattern box. Dog-leg box is more sought after by collectors and purists but it comes down to personal choice really.

There is a Black Euro spec with leather and dog-leg box in Auckland for $25k and there was a red one (needed some parts sorting - seats, etc) in Nelson for $23.5k, so they are around. Overseas prices are not going up at the mo plus exchange rate helps.

Thanks rag-top

The Nelson sounds pretty cheap, are parts expensive and hard to come by in NZ? Or most things will need be sourced overseas?

I guess I will have to wait for one to pop up closer to home or one that's known to be good by fellow members.

No, worries I have been watching the market for a long time waiting for the right car / bank-balance tie up, but still a ways to go for me.

A lot of the parts are common across the other E30 models, and these are widely available and not expensive. It is the 'M3' specific parts that are the harder to find and more expensive parts. Fairly obviously the rarer the part the more expensive it tends to be! The good news is that many (but not all) of the M3 only parts are still available from BMW so the prices are not sky-rocketing on the used parts.

The Nelson car had a Racing Dynamics steering wheel and gearshift, which were ok, and some nice aftermarket alloys. However, the two front seats were cloth E30 seats and the back was leather M3 (a specific seat), finding a couple of M3 front seats and getting them covered to match would not be cheap. Also, the silver one in Welly has a replacement front seat that would be expensive to replace with the "correct" item.

Not many M3 spares pop up in NZ, as most are in complete cars and not many get scrapped, Mosens in Hamilton sometimes have a few parts available, panels, etc. Thanks to t'internet most parts can be sourced from overseas without too much hasse - s14.net is a great E30 M3 only site for parts and info.

There was a guy who traded classic cars in CHCH who had a few E30 M3s over the years, it might be worth talking to him about what he has got / or getting - I'll try and find his details.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Thanks again rag-top

They all seems like they are missing bits ie aftermarket wheels,seats...etc which sounds hard to source and guessing would be expensive too since they would be "m3" only parts

I've started looking around s14.net and reading up on some of these builds. My god it has scared me....full strip down repairing rust, replacing this and that and I'm not sure I have the budget for that :(

Isn't there only two types of E30 M3's?

The ones you thrash and race.

And the ones you leave in the garage.

The price you get one for will reflect what the car has previously been used for.

Thanks again rag-top

They all seems like they are missing bits ie aftermarket wheels,seats...etc which sounds hard to source and guessing would be expensive too since they would be "m3" only parts

I've started looking around s14.net and reading up on some of these builds. My god it has scared me....full strip down repairing rust, replacing this and that and I'm not sure I have the budget for that :(

Phil

I'm not sure what your budget is but, if you want to buy a cheap M3 and restore it then make sure you have a large piggy bank. I have spent the last 3 years restoring an 86 M3 which was in sad shape to start with. Basically everything I stripped from the car was well worn so was replaced. As Jon stated all parts are still available except the plastic cover that fits behind the LH headlight which is M3 specific. Everything else was in stock at BMW NZ or was in my hands within 10 days ex Germany. Amazing for a 27 year old car. Alternatively the couple of recent listings on trademe for around $25k would be could buys as long as they aren't rusty. Good luck with your search.

Phil

I'm not sure what your budget is but, if you want to buy a cheap M3 and restore it then make sure you have a large piggy bank. I have spent the last 3 years restoring an 86 M3 which was in sad shape to start with. Basically everything I stripped from the car was well worn so was replaced. As Jon stated all parts are still available except the plastic cover that fits behind the LH headlight which is M3 specific. Everything else was in stock at BMW NZ or was in my hands within 10 days ex Germany. Amazing for a 27 year old car. Alternatively the couple of recent listings on trademe for around $25k would be could buys as long as they aren't rusty. Good luck with your search.

25k would be around the budget I'm looking at, but not sure if i could get one at original condition with no aftermarket parts for that price....body work doesn't have to be great, just no rust would be nice and interior could be retrimmed but needs all the original seats...hahaha I am asking for too much?

What was replaced in yours? Rubber parts? Suspension parts? Engine components?

Thanks for your input

Hi,

If you want everything original and reasonable order 35k or over would be the starting price and expect to spend 5-10k refreshing worn items and catching up with maintenance.

Either of the ones on trade me look value for money and worth the effort to look at, you will have to travel to buy one unless you buy from Japan and have it shipped to your door.

Dave

thanks dave

i think its going to be a car on my wish list since they are so hard to come and the cost of one restored to my liking would be very costly.

if you do hear of one for sale in christchurch please do give me a pm.

thanks

Phil

If you want everything original and reasonable order 35k or over would be the starting price and expect to spend 5-10k refreshing worn items and catching up with maintenance.

From what I have looked at over the last 12-18 months, I would expect something well above reasonable order for 35k. Especially when you look at the prices of mint / restored / garage queens overseas. Japan has got too expensive, all the bargains have gone from there, the US of A and Europe are where the value is now.

Comparing that silver one to others I have seen, it would need to come down a bit in price to be of equal value - due to the seat / trims / inner wing question marks, closer to the $23.5k the one in Nelson was up for.

A number of E30 M3s have been up for sale a long time with the asking prices gradually dropping, the red one in Nelson was $30k to start with. It's not a sellers market at the moment.

They do come up in CHCH now and again, I'll let you know if I see or hear of one.

And Driftit, there are two types of E30 M3s that stay in the garage - one that's in bits, and one that's a Garage Queen. :D

I have noticed the models with the dogleg box sell really quickly at around 35k

I can only assume that the dogleg box versions are the 1s to have.

I have noticed the models with the dogleg box sell really quickly at around 35k

I can only assume that the dogleg box versions are the 1s to have.

Because race car.

thanks rag-top give pm me if you know of any :)

mine would be a garage queen, maybe driven a few times a month depending on the weather hahaha

I paid in the high 30's for mine a few years back now after watching the market for a long time and seeing lots of average examples, and not many nice ones. Mines late model ( 10/1990) full euro spec with the later 215hp engine and all original. I've done a few tweaks to it over the years to personalise it to my taste, but nothing that can't be put back to original spec in a few hours

You get what you pay for with these cars, I've spent very little on mine considering....just basic service stuff, and a few smaller jobs. It doesn't go out in the rain if I can help it, it sits in the garage most of the time. But when I do take it out, its for a decent drive, and I'm not afraid to give it some beans....thats what they were built for, and people who wrap them in cotton wool and don't give them a thrash every so often are missing out on so much pleasure. Maybe if it were a concours spec, low kms Sport Evo I could understand it would be a different scenario.

Good luck in your hunt. Its all part of the fun :-)

thanks phil, your car sounds awesome and i bet its worth every pennie

all you e30 m3 members are making me very jealous....what colours do you guys have?

25k would be around the budget I'm looking at, but not sure if i could get one at original condition with no aftermarket parts for that price....body work doesn't have to be great, just no rust would be nice and interior could be retrimmed but needs all the original seats...hahaha I am asking for too much?

What was replaced in yours? Rubber parts? Suspension parts? Engine components?

Thanks for your input

I have replaced every suspension bush, just about every rubber hose, front and rear sway bar links, new front lower arms etc etc think of a part and it has probably been replaced. Engine not touched except valve adjustment, a few gaskets and timing chain tensioner. Gearbox good, just rebuilt the shift linkage. Steering rack rebuilt, bit of a story there. Diff also rebuilt, all by Kayne Barrie. Very rewarding to see the end result after starting with a sad case. I pick it up from Kayne in the morning then off to Gavin for a quick check then 8 M3 6 is on the road - yeeha. :D Keep looking, you will find the right car, there is one out there with your name on it.

There was a guy who traded classic cars in CHCH who had a few E30 M3s over the years, it might be worth talking to him about what he has got / or getting - I'll try and find his details.

This is the guy, he has this 2002 turbo look alike currently, 3.0cs coupe etc

Garry Cliff

Magnum Prestige

122 St Asaph st

special cars

Christchurch

Ph 0274334404

Cheers...Stephen

Edited by skidz

I have replaced every suspension bush, just about every rubber hose, front and rear sway bar links, new front lower arms etc etc think of a part and it has probably been replaced. Engine not touched except valve adjustment, a few gaskets and timing chain tensioner. Gearbox good, just rebuilt the shift linkage. Steering rack rebuilt, bit of a story there. Diff also rebuilt, all by Kayne Barrie. Very rewarding to see the end result after starting with a sad case. I pick it up from Kayne in the morning then off to Gavin for a quick check then 8 M3 6 is on the road - yeeha. :D Keep looking, you will find the right car, there is one out there with your name on it.

Wow!!

This is the guy, he has this 2002 turbo look alike currently, 3.0cs coupe etc

Garry Cliff

Magnum Prestige

122 St Asaph st

special cars

Christchurch

Ph 0274334404

Cheers...Stephen

Thanks for that, will get in contact with him and see if he knows of any for sale