Sign in to follow this  
albert72

BBS STYLE 5 ON E30

I know these wheels are 5x120 but I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully fitted these on an E30 by re-drilling the holes. Also, is it safe re-drilling wheels? :unsure:

post-4341-1366772347.jpg

What wheels? I see a stain...

I looked quite thouroughly into what you're thinking a long time along.

Redrilling the wheels won't work at all - there are some wheels that it can work on, but I don't think any OEM BMW wheels work - the hole areas are reinforced to take the weight etc. The shape of the generally doesn't allow redrilling (unless they're certain 80's tridents or hotwires or similar)

To put 5 studs on an E30 you really need a 5 stud conversion. From what I remember redrilling the hubs and discs puts the bolt holes too far out to fit (or be safe anyway).

What wheels? I see a stain...

I looked quite thouroughly into what you're thinking a long time along.

Redrilling the wheels won't work at all - there are some wheels that it can work on, but I don't think any OEM BMW wheels work - the hole areas are reinforced to take the weight etc. The shape of the generally doesn't allow redrilling (unless they're certain 80's tridents or hotwires or similar)

To put 5 studs on an E30 you really need a 5 stud conversion. From what I remember redrilling the hubs and discs puts the bolt holes too far out to fit (or be safe anyway).

Yeah, I know what you mean. Took me a few seconds before I actually saw the wheels on the pics :D

Anyway, I got the idea from this

http://www.justacargeek.com/2010/08/1989-b...done-right.html

Or 4x100 to 5x120 adapters? Would probably be a heap cheaper to have them certed than a hub conversion? Faster too! Will also open your options to other jap spec 5.114.5 BBS rims too. Just a thought :)

You can redrill those, well at least some of the brands apparently there's a few different manufacturers of that wheel.

a mate on E30tech had them redrilled to 4x100 as long as the back's are flat you can.

You can redrill those, well at least some of the brands apparently there's a few different manufacturers of that wheel.

a mate on E30tech had them redrilled to 4x100 as long as the back's are flat you can.

Thanks, that's good to know. I do believe the back are flat. Next concern is the centre bore though

Thats the info you need! There's not too many "modern" wheels that are flat on the back!

The machine work involved is going to be easier than a 5 stud conversion, but the conversion opens up a lot of wheel "opportunities" B)

Thats the info you need! There's not too many "modern" wheels that are flat on the back!

The machine work involved is going to be easier than a 5 stud conversion, but the conversion opens up a lot of wheel "opportunities" B)

Any idea on the cost to have them re-drilled?

Any idea on the cost to have them re-drilled?

I don't know, but you want them done somewhere that knows what they are doing - you need the correct taper on the bolt seats, otherwise they're likely to work loose.

I've redrilled hubs before, and it only took a couple of hours to set up all four and drill tap etc. A decent machine shop should have an indexed table on a mill/drill press that would make easier too - once it's set up for one, 4 is easy.

You should be able to get hubcentric rings to go from 57 to 74.1 from somewhere - ebay if nowhere local.

Welding over an existing hole is the problem. It needs to be done.

Ask me how I know...

Just do a hub swap its pretty easy, and you have a bigger variety of 5x120 wheels

Just do a hub swap its pretty easy, and you have a bigger variety of 5x120 wheels

Good point but will that also mean brake and suspension conversion?

Actually the only goal here is to be able to fit a 16 inch basketweaves rims at the least possible cost. Haven't had any luck to find some 16" RS reps