Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

FS: 2000 E46 318i M-Sport

Original condition 2000 BMW Motor Sport with standard factory fit out:

- Motor Sport 17 inch alloy wheels

- Motor Sport Suspension

- Motor Sport body kit (Front spoiler, mesh grill, spots, side skirts and lip spoiler)

- Motor Sport interior

- Anti Skid control

- ABS Brakes

- Electric windows/Mirrors

- 6x ARS Airbags inc side curtain airbags

- Power steering

- Automatic steptronic with sports mode

- Climate control airconditioning

- Traction / Stability control

- 93,000kms

Car is in great condition inside and out. Drives really smooth as you would expect a BMW should. E46 3 series facelift Motorsport sedan.

New front tires and wheel alignment. Rear tires have 3/4 tread left.

A really nice car which is very reliable and economical.

No money owing on it, no registered security interest so clear title.

Drives amazing being an M-Sport.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=583715223

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks nice, price seems fair to me. GLWS. You only recently purchased it - didn't you?

Looks nice, price seems fair to me. GLWS. You only recently purchased it - didn't you?

Yeah about 4 weeks ago now.

I love the car but I don't love the suspension its just to hard for me. All my friends think that I am crazy.

At this stage I am downgrading to either a standard e46 or a sub 5k Nissan/Honda.

The car is genuine and very tidy _b

If you like the car so much why not buy some standard springs and swap them out. Should be cheap enough to pick up and not to difficult to change over.

If you like the car so much why not buy some standard springs and swap them out. Should be cheap enough to pick up and not to difficult to change over.

If you think about the cost it wouldn't make sense.

Shocks lets say around $500

To installed around $180 (at $60 per hour)

So the shocks cost you $680

That is all and well but there are two problems that I have.

The first is that in spending $680 on your car the car looses value of its original figure because it is no longer an M-Sport. People buy M-Sport cars because they like the drive and the handling.

The second is that you have spent money on a car when you could have sold the car and bought a standard version for less then the sale price of your own car. Why would you when a standard version sells four around 7300 - 7800 depending on spec and the type of wheels on the car.

Fair comment I would have put a set of standard Sedan second hand coils spring in it about $40.00 and gone from their.

These cars really aren't *that* stiff. But if you want to take the edge off it for cheap, since the handling isn't the issue for you, take off those silly 17" wheels and put on a nice set of 15" wheels with 205-60-15 H-speed rated tyres. You can sell the 17" ones and make a profit. The bigger side wall and softer (lower speed rating) 15" tyres will take the edge off the ride.

These cars really aren't *that* stiff. But if you want to take the edge off it for cheap, since the handling isn't the issue for you, take off those silly 17" wheels and put on a nice set of 15" wheels with 205-60-15 H-speed rated tyres. You can sell the 17" ones and make a profit. The bigger side wall and softer (lower speed rating) 15" tyres will take the edge off the ride.

Yeah, I have thought about doing that. Also about changing suspension etc.

At the end of the day you are making the car worth less though. Who would want to buy a BMW M-Sport with 15 inch wheels or softer suspension?

Yeah, I have thought about doing that. Also about changing suspension etc.

At the end of the day you are making the car worth less though. Who would want to buy a BMW M-Sport with 15 inch wheels or softer suspension?

Average Punter wouldn't even know. It's only a 318i If they were buying for performance prowess, they'd probably get something faster. At the end of the day, it would still be more "M" than half the "M" stuff on Trademe!

My parents have got exactly the same spec'd car expect its manual and on 18's. One of the reason's the guy was selling it as rode to firm for him as well. For me its a good balance and while my parents dont rave about the ride quality they can live with it easy enough.

About changing it: E46's on 15's look average but 15's with the Mtech kit would look horrible and so will raising the ride height.

From what ive read and experienced the spring rates of M spec springs aren't alot stiffer than stock so id say its more the valving of the sport shocks that give it the harder ride.

Edit: Did you not notice the ride quality when you test drove the car?

Edited by Eagle

My parents have got exactly the same spec'd car expect its manual and on 18's. One of the reason's the guy was selling it as rode to firm for him as well. For me its a good balance and while my parents dont rave about the ride quality they can live with it easy enough.

About changing it: E46's on 15's look average but 15's with the Mtech kit would look horrible and so will raising the ride height.

From what ive read and experienced the spring rates of M spec springs aren't alot stiffer than stock so id say its more the valving of the sport shocks that give it the harder ride.

Edit: Did you not notice the ride quality when you test drove the car?

No when I drove it it was fine and for me 80% of the time it is fine. But here in Christchurch there is a road which I drive everyday and this car is to hard for it.