Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Anyone in business?

Had a rather irate customer.

About five weeks back we done a sale for a server, two laptops, printer e.t.c. over 5k worth. The customer wanted installed about 2 weeks ago, we got the gear in, set everything up, now we just needed to wait for the MYOB accounting package to arrive. Just to add, this customer has been very hard to get a hold of, email and cell, landline.

So they rush out with a piece of paper I gave them stating we had a server, and two machines running off the data files located on the server, turns out they didn't get the correct version, because they went to Harvey Norman, they required premier. So, no probs, I tell them I'll take the MYOB (because they couldn't take it back) and you get the correct version, this time they get it from their accountant as per my advisement the first time.

Bam, what's the problem? It was sent from central Dunedin to the Valley, but the moron courier driver left it at my front door of our building which is about 1 to 1.5meters from the footpath of one of Dunedin busiest roads nearly two hours before we open in the dark. We then spent two weeks trying to sort it with the courier company who wouldn't front up and then there's the pissing around with their accountant, who I originally advised, if the software has been paid for, contact MYOB they will give me the right info to install without the software package... FYI, the software was about $1000 and sent without a signatory!

We finally had it sorted, customer wanted it all installed on Wednesday the 15th 2pm of this month, I have emails confirming this as I couldn't do last week. I get a phone call an hour ago asking where I am, I said on another job, we're scheduled for next Wednesday, so discussions were had & it was all my wrong doing and now they want their money back. I said I'd call tomorrow and let them know what the go is.

Anyone in business what would you do? We have more than 5k worth of gear here all designed for them... The labour in pissing around, the labour in setup, the gear itself, the phone calls, MS Office packages already installed, more than 1k worth of O/S all installed to suit them e.t.c...

Good times!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

You have to give them something ($'s discount) customers don't always have to be right, but they do have to win.

You have to give them something ($'s discount) customers don't always have to be right, but they do have to win.

Could be an option, but I'd prefer not. I thought customers were always right and the vendor was the muppet?

Agreed, offer a discount, even if you offload the lot at cost, apologize profusely and finish the job, keep em happy, even if you make nothing you will cover the hardware costs, better than being lumped with the bill, a bad rep or legal fee's.

Just write it off and think it only happens once in a blue moon, you never know, they may recommend you or come back and order in future.

That's what I would do, in my 10 years of business I have only had one invoice I could not reach a positive ending on, but they were literally crazy, I learned from that that even if the customer is completely mental and wrong its not worth arguing as they can do more damage than its worth, especially with social media etc.

Edited by apex

Could be an option, but I'd prefer not. I thought customers were always right and the vendor was the muppet?

Sadly customers are often muppets, they don't mean to be, they just are. I'm sure our suppliers think we're muppets sometimes too. I think you should also meet them face to face if possible. Let them unload their anger on you then offer a solution. It sounds like you have their money or some of it already so you are in a strong position. Say you're sorry and committed to the project and then offer them something to smooth it all over. Extended warranty and free future support is often a good thing to add in as you can preserve your margin on this project and price it back in in any future work if you're inclined to do that.

We mainly deal with large B2B accounts, a 5k software/hardware project with MYOB sounds like it could be a small to medium size business and you're dealing with the owner, it's their money and they take it personally they're the most difficult sometimes.

Sadly customers are often muppets, they don't mean to be, they just are. I'm sure our suppliers think we're muppets sometimes too. I think you should also meet them face to face if possible. Let them unload their anger on you then offer a solution. It sounds like you have their money or some of it already so you are in a strong position. Say you're sorry and committed to the project and then offer them something to smooth it all over. Extended warranty and free future support is often a good thing to add in as you can preserve your margin on this project and price it back in in any future work if you're inclined to do that.

We mainly deal with large B2B accounts, a 5k software/hardware project with MYOB sounds like it could be a small to medium size business and you're dealing with the owner, it's their money and they take it personally they're the most difficult sometimes.

I had them pay in full as they were new customers and their requirements meant all custom, normally we're 50% upfront and 50% either 7 days after completion or 20th of the following. It's a fairly large business but with mainly larger invoices.

Agreed, offer a discount, even if you offload the lot at cost, apologize profusely and finish the job, keep em happy, even if you make nothing you will cover the hardware costs, better than being lumped with the bill, a bad rep or legal fee's.

Just write it off and think it only happens once in a blue moon, you never know, they may recommend you or come back and order in future.

That's what I would do, in my 10 years of business I have only had one invoice I could not reach a positive ending on, but they were literally crazy, I learned from that that even if the customer is completely mental and wrong its not worth arguing as they can do more damage than its worth, especially with social media etc.

^ 100% agree

If they've already paid in full, it's understandable that they are anxious. From their point of view, they've paid the money and over a month has passed and they hasn't got what they paid for (yet).

^ 100% agree

If they've already paid in full, it's understandable that they are anxious. From their point of view, they've paid the money and over a month has passed and they hasn't got what they paid for (yet).

I can see that side of it ofcourse, but I haven't been able to help the circumstances, especially the time lost with the Courier driver issue!

Offer the customer a discount or some form remunniation (free software upgrades or something) and then hit up the courier for the lost reveune.

I might be reading it wrong, but if the courier delivered a parcel that didnt have a signature request on it, why are they in the wrong? Very common practise for the parcels that dont require a signature to be delievered in the early hours for that exact reason. Shouldnt it be MYOB you are chasing for cheaping out and not sending it signature?

Or maybe I'm reading you wrong.

No singature doesn't mean the courier can leave it anywhere, so obviously unsafe and easily stolen being 3 feet from the main road outside a building in the dark. Just a sad case of a cheapskate sender and a moronic courier driver

Was the customer after a turn key solution including app setup or were you originally only providing an office server and two laptops plus base desktop build with MSapps?

If the later then apologize face to face but point out that you where only originally providing an ICT solution excluding accounting software. You offered to help procure software as the customer purchased the wrong version as an act of good faith.Id point out what you where originally scoped to provide which you have ready and the additional software was being supplied due to customer mistake.

They should cut you some slack. Point out they shouldn't be pining the whole deal on condition of supply based on late delivery of MYob

In terms of the software it's normally activated by software key. The packaging / box / dvd aren't worth much. Get onto the MYob reseller and get them to advise MYob that the software has been stolen. If they aren't prepared to help take it up with Myob. Myob should be able to de-activate the licence so nobody is $1000 out of pocket should someone try and install it. This shouldn't become your problem and make you out of pocket. Also point out that through the poor process of dispatch to the reseller they have caused issues for your customer.

Was the customer after a turn key solution including app setup or were you originally only providing an office server and two laptops plus base desktop build with MSapps?

If the later then apologize face to face but point out that you where only originally providing an ICT solution excluding accounting software. You offered to help procure software as the customer purchased the wrong version as an act of good faith.Id point out what you where originally scoped to provide which you have ready and the additional software was being supplied due to customer mistake.

They should cut you some slack. Point out they shouldn't be pining the whole deal on condition of supply based on late delivery of MYob

In terms of the software it's normally activated by software key. The packaging / box / dvd aren't worth much. Get onto the MYob reseller and get them to advise MYob that the software has been stolen. If they aren't prepared to help take it up with Myob. Myob should be able to de-activate the licence so nobody is $1000 out of pocket should someone try and install it. This shouldn't become your problem and make you out of pocket. Also point out that through the poor process of dispatch to the reseller they have caused issues for your customer.

This is what I originally asked the accountant for, however they wanted to pursue the courier for the lost product, pretty sure I said this in the original post. We did ask them for the key/link as per original post :)

I guess the courier isn't at fault TOTALLY however why would they leave it where they did? The package was sent to the accountant, the accountant sent it to us without signatory, two days went past and we asked them where the product was, as you do!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

What did the terms of the contract say about delay and allocation of risk?

If your contract doesn't cover off all the common risk scenarios that your business faces, you need to revise it. If you don't have a standard contract that your customers sign before money/products change hands, then you need one.

What did the terms of the contract say about delay and allocation of risk?

If your contract doesn't cover off all the common risk scenarios that your business faces, you need to revise it. If you don't have a standard contract that your customers sign before money/products change hands, then you need one.

We've never required one. In the six years I've been going, we've never had an issue like this. The delays were out of my hands, relying on other people/companies & giving a date would be insane, unless you gave plenty of leeway, i.e a couple of weeks. Too many variables i.e stock levels, build times, couriers (yeah!) accountants, and the customer themselves who do like to change their minds on certain things/products.