Sign in to follow this  
zara

Buying stuff from USA

Hey guys,

Look at buying multiple bits and bobs from the USA from various vendors, wondering what's the best option for shipping?

I've heard people getting them shipped to one combined shipping company and then paying for just 1 shipping fee. Is that generally the cheaper and more hassle free option?

If so, which companies have you guys got good experience with?

Cheers

Depends on what you are buying, if they are bigger items or not and how many different vendors. Or else consolidating them may incur GST fees if they total $400+ (maybe not if in multiple packages)

But I'd recommend Kiwishipping.co.nz , They are part of Mainfreight and have a U.S depot you can send stuff to, then they arrange bringing it into a NZ mainfreight depot, all you have to do is wait for the call to collect it and it's very cheap too (cost me $109NZD to ship a set of wheels via sea container, which took a month).

I'm looking at getting some angel eyes from Umnitza, springs and bushings from turner motorsport and some speakers + maybe subs and amps from Ebay or Amazon.

So not very big items and from around 3-4 vendors.

NZ Post has a new service call "You Shop", which give you an US address to send your shopping to and they brought it back to NZ for you. Worth looking into.

I was lucky, when I brought a heap of stuff for my mini truck I sent it all to the missusesss uncle over there then he forward it all to me in one pack. And because he sent it, not a business who would list it as new parts or whatever I didn't get stung with duty either. Winning!!

Depends on what you are buying, if they are bigger items or not and how many different vendors. Or else consolidating them may incur GST fees if they total $400+ (maybe not if in multiple packages)

But I'd recommend Kiwishipping.co.nz , They are part of Mainfreight and have a U.S depot you can send stuff to, then they arrange bringing it into a NZ mainfreight depot, all you have to do is wait for the call to collect it and it's very cheap too (cost me $109NZD to ship a set of wheels via sea container, which took a month).

OT But did you pay duty on the wheels?

OT But did you pay duty on the wheels?

Yeah a couple hundred dollars but was expecting it. Freight suprised me though real cheap.

I recently had a front wing (entire panel) plus a headlight for an E66 from Germany via emirates skycargo. Was 3 days in transit. The total cost of delivery including all customs fees came to around $1,050. I organised my own freight too which saved me a bit of $$, I chose the most expensive shipping option (by air). I imagine by ship it would cost far less but take forever to arrive. I needed the parts asap so 3 days delivery was awesome.

I use Kiwishipping at least once a month and there web site has a calculator for working out freight cost. You log in everything into their web site from multiple vendors then they advise you with photos when it arrives. You can set it to all despatch on the same container.

Had some tires priced in NZ and Bridgestone wanted $750 each so bought same ones on Tiretrack at $US 240 each and are on their way to me as I type.

If you are buying Amps & subs, make sure they can be used with NZ power of 230 Volt as they are 110 Volts in the USA

That's good to know because e39 touring motorsport parts are easy to come buy in the states, but for reference cars are 12v worldwide :P

Sometimes it can work out cheap by not combining postage. Remember that once it's over $400 with combined shipping then expect to pay GST

Unless your planning on importing a high end sub then its actually cheaper to buy local. Freight on mine was $177 usd. Similar with amps again your going for high end.