Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

318Ti E36

Gidday gents!!

Just joined the forum today! My name is Nick, I'm based in Wgtn! I've had a nice little green 318Ti for a while now, but always wanted to do something more with it. I've looked at LSx swaps, 2JZ swaps, and M52b28 turbos. Each has their own individuality and challenges, and obviously some will cost more than others. I'm feeling the easiest (and probably cheapest) would be to go down the lines of the turbo m52 engine, although I would want reliability on my side. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this forum, if I could choose anything I think I would prefer the m52, as

I like the idea of keeping the engine in the family, getting all the electronics would be relatively straight forward too? but then again you couldn't beat the sound of a small block coming from such a tiny car. I wouldn't cut corners no matter which path I take, but I just wanted some opinions from those who probably have a sh**load more knowledge than I!!

Nissan SR20DET + Forged + Bigger Turbo. Very good combo for the chassis.

Hmmm SR20det I haven't thought about that. They're a pretty good engine yeah? With a good amount of potential. Ill think about that one, that sounds like it could be good.

Its a proven conversion on both E30's and E36 compacts. You can get them to 190kw relatively stock standard and work them to 300kw with some forged internals and a bigger turbo, there are plenty of parts for them and a lot of local tuners no how to tune them safely with good results.

I like the idea of a LS swap though, they are not cheap for a powerful one but would make for a wicked car!

How deeps your pockets.

Projects go from turbod m42/44 through to LS7's in the states. Even seen a blown V6 from a dunnydoor

Easiest is the M50/52/54

Thanks Apex! How does the sump configuration of the SR20's go with the front crossmember? A bit of editing has to be done there?

Pockets will be as deep as I can make them, realistically this won't be much below $15,000 no matter which path I take so I'd keep that budget at the bare minimum. Start realistically and be happily surprised if it amounts to less ;)

I'm handy, but not incredibly sufficient. I can't weld or fabricate, which would certainly be a bonus if I look down the track of, and need custom mounts, headers if I go LSx, turbo manifold if I go m52 etc, but then I would be happy to pay for quality fabrication too..

Too many options! I have seen a lot of LS swaps online and they look like a hellll of a lot of work. The 2JZ does to some extent too, but not in terms of headers, etc.. SR20DET definitely deserves some more research!

I have an E36 coupe with an SR20 transplant; the sump is custom to fit around the crossmember.

The problem with an SR is the exhaust headers are on the opposite side to the BMW engine so it gets a bit tight and sharp angles in the exhaust manifold will limit your output. However it is a lot smaller and lighter than the other options and will help maintain a close 50/50 weight distribution which outweighs the cons

Mine is running larger injectors, T3/4 turbo, custom headers, walbro fuel pump and a chipped ECU + electronic boost controller which netted me around 220rwkw

At a minimum you need new engine and g/box mounts, driveshaft, exhaust, fuel lines and if you remove the ABS to free up some space new brake hard lines too. The most difficult part was wiring up everything for the new engine. Power steering still works too

Hi Nick,

An engine conversion is good fun, expensive too, 15k+ is a good bench mark if you're to do a quality job, I've spend well over that for my Lexus V8 conversion.

2JZ is an attractive option, for such reason as ease of installation - far less complicated header work - I'd just run the stock turbos personally and do a custom dump pipe etc - an easy 250kw / 500nm engine.

I thought about that motor for my E36, but I just wanted the V8 sound rather than the power & outright performance (yes.. really)

The LSX swaps look like a good idea, Vorshlag has a nice kit - but buying a LS engine in NZ seems to be really expensive, they really hold their value.

Curious on why a 318Ti though? Keep in mind you will have to upgrade the drive terrain diff, axles, brakes, hubs and suspension so it's more cost effective to get mid case E36 325i or 328i, sedan, wagon or coupe that already has the stronger parts that can handle 400hp or so easily enough.

Thanks Blonky! That's the only thing that worries me regarding the Nissan FI engines is the fact their intake/exhaust are on opposite sides, is this a big issue? Electronics are definitely something that will require a bit of a learning curve, but am not completely useless when it comes to the subject so with a bit of reading and help from those who have done it, anything's possible right? ;)

Michael - I've read your entire thread on your 1UZ - that thing looks orgasmic. I understand what you mean regarding the sound of the v8! Nothing like the sound, especially coming out of a 3 series e36!! I would love to do the 2JZ most of all, I think that is a pretty nice sounding engine, and there seems to be a heap of reliable information around regarding it, but then again I know the cost could skyrocket when looking into a bigger turbo, etc. M52 is a nice sounding engine too when mated to the right piping..

I am definitely aware of the things I will have to do for the 318ti, I would look at getting a better diff, a complete do-over of the suspension front and rear, with some strengthening plates (not really sure if necessary..), brakes (obviously. Are you still running the stock brake booster along-side your 1UZ? How competent is the system with bigger brakes?) Also, would have to put in a pedal so my left foot doesn't get bored (gag - I hate auto's, although it's a bit nicer in the traffic..). But to be honest, I really like the shape of the 318Ti (something many people don't understand), but I think if it's sitting on a nice set of wheels, and is the right colour, it's really quite a handsome car haha.

Thanks all :)

Exhaust on the wrong side wasn't a big issue - but it meant the exhaust manifold has a tight-ish bend and with the wastegate it isn't the best setup for flow, but is still doing pretty good considering. Wiring isn't hard but most people don't seem to understand how to wire correctly which means thing are often not wired correctly ie TPS sensor <_<

The good thing about the SR20 is that it weighs only 10kg +/- more than the stock M42 so you can retain the same brakes and suspension since these are already pretty decent in a BMW.

Since you're going from auto too make sure you get a diff from a manual, yes I know 4.44 is a fun ratio but for the daily drive it's not very nice having to cruise in 2nd gear in the city and having the engine droning at 4k rpm on the motorway. Luckily from what I understand the Ti can run an E30 diff?

Have a chat with Glenn he has a e36 ti with a m52b28 also go to 318ti.org and ready some of the engine swaps some of the America's have carried out on their rides. For some reason 1997 rings bells something to do with a change in the electronics OB1, OB2 can o be I think.

Blonky, I believe that is the case, as the Ti's rear end is the rear-trailing arm style, the same as the e30's. So that makes the diff situation slightly easier. A 4.44 would be horrendous with that set-up haha. How have you found the SR20DET in terms of reliability? And approximately how much did you spend on your conversion? I like the idea of relatively good power out of a cheap and reliable powerplant.

Brakes will be done no matter which route I take. I would like something with a bit more surface area and diameter haha.

Thanks Allan. How have I not seen this forum before haha.

I really like what Steve Murch has done with his M52 (I believe he's a member on here too?) So many options haha.

+1 on the SR20 option, I don't think you could go wrong there, compact too so you could get it pretty far back for good balance.

Michael - I've read your entire thread on your 1UZ - that thing looks orgasmic. I understand what you mean regarding the sound of the v8! Nothing like the sound, especially coming out of a 3 series e36!! I would love to do the 2JZ most of all, I think that is a pretty nice sounding engine, and there seems to be a heap of reliable information around regarding it, but then again I know the cost could skyrocket when looking into a bigger turbo, etc. M52 is a nice sounding engine too when mated to the right piping..

I am definitely aware of the things I will have to do for the 318ti, I would look at getting a better diff, a complete do-over of the suspension front and rear, with some strengthening plates (not really sure if necessary..), brakes (obviously. Are you still running the stock brake booster along-side your 1UZ? How competent is the system with bigger brakes?) Also, would have to put in a pedal so my left foot doesn't get bored (gag - I hate auto's, although it's a bit nicer in the traffic..). But to be honest, I really like the shape of the 318Ti (something many people don't understand), but I think if it's sitting on a nice set of wheels, and is the right colour, it's really quite a handsome car haha.

Thanks all :)

Thanks - I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out. It's does make a good sound (I removed the rear tire well to fit two rear mufflers rather than just one run in the small stock space avaliable), I've just taken the headers off to get HPC coated as we speak too!

Definitely, the 2JZ can sound equally as good with a nice exhaust setup, especially with a bit of turbo whistle! Same again for the M50/M52 really, it really depends on the header, muffler combination and whether or not they are dual or single systems.

Yeah, I replaced my front suspension entirely to M3 3.2 EVO parts, working on the rear at the moment, going to 3.0L M3 stuff so I can keep the 188mm diff which has shorter stock ratios in the 4.XX range rather than the 210mm types down in the lower 3.XXs. I wont be running big power so the medium case is ideal for my purposes.

Yeah just stock brake booster - so far it seems more than capable, I've done some emergency brake stop tests with the M3 OEM brakes up front with Hawk street pads - noticeable improvement on the stock ones for sure - I know M3 brake master cylinders are slightly bigger so these calipers might not be at 100% performance but they seem fit for my road use / light future track work.

Yeah manual is the way to go, I've used a 5 speed modified auto as experiment, good and bad results, it's sweet at speed with quick changes up and down with a manual tiptronic feature using a retro fitted cruise control stalk, but it is a little iffy without a clutch as I don't feel as involved.

Yeah definitely - I think the E36 Ti's need some upgrades and they can look quite cool - such as this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yeah that looks gorgeous, I really like the shape. A little spoiler at the back adds a whole new look too. Awesome :)

After reading a lot, and listening to a lot of exhaust sounds on YouTube haha, I think the m52 will be the way to go for me. I also kind of like the idea of keeping the bimmer engine in there. And as much as I love the idea of the SR20det, the 2jz and the LS1, I think the 'ease' of the m52 stands out. I mean it's meant to fit in that engine bay, mating it with the right box won't require a new driveshaft, and it will make the electronic side of things significantly easier (unless I'm being naive.) I know it will still take a lot of work and $$$ but I think it would be plenty worthwhile :)

Here are a few nice ones too.

Posted Image

Colour isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like it!

Posted Image

Yummy

Posted Image

Just kidding ya with that one. What an abomination.

:)

Blonky, I believe that is the case, as the Ti's rear end is the rear-trailing arm style, the same as the e30's. So that makes the diff situation slightly easier. A 4.44 would be horrendous with that set-up haha. How have you found the SR20DET in terms of reliability? And approximately how much did you spend on your conversion? I like the idea of relatively good power out of a cheap and reliable powerplant.

Brakes will be done no matter which route I take. I would like something with a bit more surface area and diameter haha.

SR20 has been good with no issues even running at 15psi (has a steel headgasket though) with pretty much standard head and bottom end. Previous owner paid for the conversion but it wasn't quite done right, I picked it up and finished it off so would be bad example of costs - he estimated around 18k but that includes the engine and the car, plus what ever I put into it. With the right people and if you supply the engine and g/box it wouldn't be hard to get it in for under $6k. Don't forget a dyno tune will set you back $1200+ if you mod the engine too

LOL at the rust one. Looks like it's been left on an container ship!

Totally true, M52 would be the most easy choice. I'm no expert with turbocharging these but as far as I know, you might want to change to the M50 iron block as they are stronger, better suited to boost but it all depends how far you want to go I guess.

A solid 350hp M52B28 with supporting modifications on ~10psi shouldn't be unrealistic I'd imagine.

Member by the name of 'Crunchy' would be the one the most knowledgeable turbo guys here on the forum so have a look for some of his posts.

Thanks so much :) I've heard the iron blocks are essential for boost application, thanks :)

Blonky, that would be fun! 15psi is a nice amount, that's not bad for price either :)

Thanks heaps gents

Talking of 318ti.org there is a member there (J!M) that is a ! in between the J & M, who wrote a manual on how to do a M5* swop into a Ti.

Extremely involved Pictures wiring diagrams

Everything you need.

Also the are kits available in the states to fit a LS* or ford smallblock

Edited by sp8s

we fitted a m52b28 into my mates 318ti to set it up as a track car , goes really well .

has a m50 manifold on it , std getrag 220 box same as a 318i etc . lightish m20 flywheel and new clutch .

3.64 lsd from a e30 .

goes pretty quick

made 126rwkw on the dyno and thats not tunned and still using a 318ti rear muffler .

my 328i std made 112rwkw .

but his ti is stripped out and weighs in at about 1250kg

so its pretty quick , but if you bolt a turbo to that it would go pretty well.

or maybe buy one of those ford or ls3 v8 conversion kits from the states

Sp8s, legend, thank you so much for that that's an invaluable read. Awesome :)

Brent, that's awesome. 126wkw standard is a pretty sweet deal from just the transplant. I'm thinking ill definitely head down the m52 path, it seems that the m50 intake manifold is the way to go too? Ill have to read more as to why :)

Thanks!

Brent, that's awesome. 126rwkw standard is a pretty sweet deal from just the transplant. I'm thinking ill definitely head down the m52 path, it seems that the m50 intake manifold is the way to go too? Ill have to read more as to why :)

Thanks!

std hp is 193hp flywheel for the 328i engine i think this should be somewhere near 210-220hp

as my stock std e34 535i made 118rwkw on teh same dyno and they where rated at 211hp flywheel

oh and the 328Ti still made 295Nm of torque same as my 328i did

post-279-1368521317.jpg

Would likely be cheaper to do the LSx swap rather than go down the S62 route. Although it would be f*#king cool! Easier to get parts and a cheaper motor to draw extra power from too. The LSx are smaller than the BMW 8s from shoulder to shoulder so the install would be way easier.

Keen to see which way you jump with the project! :)

Awesome!!!

So I've decided to go down the M50B25 + Turbo route. I think for $10k plus I could make a relatively nice setup on the engine, might even consider new rods and pistons and push for a bit more.. Originally I think I would be incredibly happy with 350-400whp, which I believe can be done on stock internals (new bearings, rings, etc). Over and above the 10,000 I would look at getting a better diff (something below 4.** haha), get the rear suspension sorted out, the front should be easy, and do quite a bit of cosmetic stuff :)

Exciting stuff!!

Thanks for the warm welcome :)