Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Factory E39 xenon angel eyes

Okay. My (new to me) 540i currently has standard halogen headlights but according to build sheet it had xenons:

post-16586-1369005128.png

I can get a set of factory E39 xenon angel eyes cheaply from a guy wrecking a 2000 528i and I'm trying to figure out if it will be straight plug and play before I purchase, or will I need to add ballasts, etc? Presumably if the car had factory xenons originally the auto levelling sensor should be in place and the LCM should be able to be coded for HIDs. If not, does it just mean auto levelling just won't work or would I need to retrofit (which is way more hassle than it's worth) to get the lights to work?

Advice would be appreciated before I part with any cash.

Thanks in advance.

The ballasts attach to the rear of the lights, so you'll need the whole set. If you go from PFL to facelift lights, you'll need to wiring adapters for the angeleyes etc too. Ideally, you should have the bracket off the bottom of the light enclosure too.

I got my genuine retrofit kit landed in NZ for about NZ$900, but they come with orange indicators, which I prefer on my steel blue car (the clears I had for a while looked cheap), but on a black car, the orange would look gash!

The LCM MAY have been coded to suit the halogens, but more likely it just doesn't cause an issue, and isn't doing cold checks The xenons have no cold checks, only ignition checks for the HID, but the current on the halogens would be high enough to trick it anyway, I think. No cold checks means no low beam warning - you could unplug a low beam and see if you get cold check warnings. The self levelling can be hooked straight up to halogens, so it's probably still functionaing - they use the same motors. Do you have the adjuster wheel on the dash? You shouldn't if it really had factory xenons.

If you fit the Xenons, and any errors come up, the LCM can be coded to suit anyway (I can do it for you, but I'm in Whangarei, and you probably have the round under bonnet connector that I currently have no adapter for).

Self levelling on factory xenons has 2 sensors (right rear, and front left from memory). You CANNOT retrofit that system with serious work - the factory Xenon retrofit kit uses a more basic version of self levelling which only has a right rear sensor.

Your LCM may have been changed at some stage, but it's probably an auto levelling type at least, if you aren't having errors come up.

Cool. So just make sure I get all the brackets, etc.

The OTHER Allans link shows the ballast bracket, I was actually referring to the lower mount brackets - You can actually use the pre facelift brackets, but there is 1 screw you can't put in. It's been done PLENTY of times, but if you can get the brackets too, do it. They are attached to the bottom of the lights anyway, so will probably come with used lights.

Schmiedmann has white indicator genuine hella xenons with ballasts for just under $1300 a pair, shipped.

This image is the lower light brackets from a pre facelift. Facelift has an additional mounting hole somewhere:

Posted Image

Thanks for the help Allans.

Schmiedmann has white indicator genuine hella xenons with ballasts for just under $1300 a pair, shipped.

Getting these ones for $430 with the brackets, less than the ones in my 528i have added to the sale price!

Getting these ones for $430 with the brackets, less than the ones in my 528i have added to the sale price!

Sweetbix.

Popped one of them in today to test and xenons work fine with no errors... Cool! Just need to get a couple of new plugs to fit the different indicator and park light bulb housing.

Julian did you get yourself a 540i??? Same step I took. 528i --> 540i ;)

Julian did you get yourself a 540i??? Same step I took. 528i --> 540i ;)

I did... 2000 motorsport Cosmos Black (again!)