Sign in to follow this  
Filth

BMW E39 Headlight Adjusters FIX HELP

Hey Guys,

Right I've got the parts now I just need a little help as to how to put them in.

I've got a heat gun as my lights are angel eyes - just wondering how long this would ideally take or if anyone has done this before they can help with a process on how to do it??

Many thanks!

I did read that low heat in an oven is better than a heat gun however i didn't try this myself.

I caved and paid BMW to fix. :ph34r:

Just curious what are the parts required? My adjusters are broken too (I think) as the light can move inside its housing and the passenger side isn't level with the drivers side.

I was informed that if your headlights were manufactured after Sept 2001, they have to be cut open and can't be baked open

these are what you need. they are plastic and with the headlight heat they get brittle and can break.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-593222620.htm

The headlight is a sealed unit. You need to open and replace. You can either cut and -reseal or bake and pull open.

Then you will need to ensure you have sealed them properly again.

Considering the cost of a replacement headlight is like $900 i sent mine to BMW to get fixed.

Edited by M5V8

these are what you need. they are plastic and with the headlight heat they get brittle and can break.

The headlight is a sealed unit. You need to open and replace. You can either cut and -reseal or bake and pull open.

Considering the cost of a replacement headlight is like $900 i sent mine to BMW to get fixed.

Those are the adjusters for the pre-facelift headlights. BMW does not make replacement adjusters for the angel eye headlights so all available options are aftermarket.

To the OP - careful with forcing them open, as the later year angel eyes can't be baked open. The glue in the earlier ones can be softened in the oven.

Hi, if you use a heat gun be careful as you can melt things very quickly. Their is a write up on how to do it I have used the oven method 60 C for 5 minutes from memory strip every thing you can off the headlight and pop it in the oven. The adjusters for the pre face lift and face lift headlights with angel eyes are the same you can get an alloy type but not cheep. Once you have the headlights open and the old adjusters out before you fit the new adjusters cut a new thread in them it makes it a lot easier come final assemble also make sure every thing is dry and all the vent tubes are clean. These lights love to fog up on you if you don't keep them dry.It is fiddle be patient and don't force things unless you have plenty of $$$$$ to give to the dealers.

You can also replace the adjusters without opening the lights right up.

Some good googling should find a better one,

but this:

1. Remove lights from the car. Lights are held in place with 4 bolts (8mm i think).

Remove all 4 bolts and disconnect all connectors. Pull lights out and pay attention to the plastic strip under the lights, you dont want to brake that.

2. Remove all bulbs. Angel eye and turn signal, just twist the bulb holder and pull out. Low an high beams, remove rubber cover and twist the bulb holder.

3. Remove auto adjusters screws. 3 torx screws.

4. Remove auto adjusting unit. To remove that, look inside the light through high beam hole. You will see auto adjusters arm, push that arm to low beam side, to unclip the adjuster from the holder, it should pop out easily. Dont brake that.

5.Look through the high beam hole to turn indicator side and you will see the horisontal adjuster (it might be snapped in half). On the bottom of the adjuster, there is a torx screw. remove that. Use the adjusting bolt to unscrew the adjuster completely and take it out from the light cluster.

Note the way, how the adjuster is inside the light.

Keep the adjuster holder. you will need it for the new adjuster.

6. Look through the angel eye bulb hole. It is hard to spot, but there is another torx screw. Undo that and use the vertical adjusting bolt to undo the adjuster completely. Remove the adjuster and holder from the light cluster.

Note how the adjuster is inside the light.

Keep the adjuster holder.

7. Now. install new horisontal adjuster through the high beam hole. Try to get it to the right position and use adjusting bolt to screw it in.

8. Install horisontal adjusters holder and screw it in its place, but do not snap adjuster in to it yet.

9. Now the hard part. Put the new vertical adjuster onto its holder and use top observation panel in the light cluster to put it in the light. Try to move it to the right position with your fingers and use adjusting bolt to screw it in.

10. Screw the vertical adjusters torx screw in place through the angel eye bulb hole.

11. Snap horisontal adjusters arm into the holder.

12. Reinstall automatic adjuster (screw both adjusters in, using adjusting bolts to make it easier to install auto adjuster.).

13. Put the bulbs back in.

14. Fit the lights to the car and get them aimed.

is from HERE

...The adjusters for the pre face lift and face lift headlights with angel eyes are the same...

Are you sure? I've replaced the adjusters in angel eyes headlights before and had done some research before buying the parts. It's a long time ago now but IIRC the adjusters for pre-facelift looks quite different to the facelift ones.

You can also replace the adjusters without opening the lights right up.

Allanw, thanks for the link. Have also heard this is possible but always thought it was in the too hard basket given the clearance from the back. Have you done it before?

Jordy - would suggest you do the baking method and not heat gun, to avoid melting the plastic. I actually did it with a hair dryer as I worked along the glass, slowly prying it apart (this was on an 01 where they use the sticky black goo). Also, you might want to make sure you retain as much of the goo as possible for reassembly, otherwise you can end up with moisture leaks etc. I've never tried this on later model headlights but you'll find on the internet that people say some are impossible to take apart, which you then have to use the method Allanw posted.

Have you done it before?

Nope, mine were fine, but I fitted a genuine xenon retrofit kit with complete new lights, so hope i never have to do it!

Thanks for all the info guys! Will let you know how I get on :-)

How much did BMW charge you to get them done?

Thread necro... Failed warrant today as headlights won't adjust. Google brought me here 🙂

I'll contact Milland for 63120027924. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

ps. Prefacelift non xenon e39.

Edited by MD13