Sign in to follow this  
sierra9260

Drive Shaft disaster BMW E30 Manual

I've decided to put this in the general discussion page as I get the feeling it would be very beneficial to alot of e30, e34 owners

I was ripped off from a bloke on trade me who decided to sell me a full manual conversion kit for a m20b20. He decided to be clever <_< and take advantage of my trusting good nature (albeit naive) and not bother to send the matching driveshaft. So here I am many weeks later still trying to get one to fit. I was once very hopeful as I assumed they should be quite interchangeable, I might be able to use one from a 325i or alter a 318i one... But alas it seems very hard to find one at all and I would need some appropriate sizes to start with.

My question is: what would be the best way of getting a driveshaft to fit an M20B20? Would it be cost affective altering a longer shaft? Will e34 shafts be longer? What are the sizes?

I've been racking my brains for a while trying to figure out the best solution.. I thought I might be able to get one slightly longer and have it altered or I might be able to put extra guibos on to lengthen it. I've been digging and digging all over the world wide web for something that stands out and can sort my problems but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding the matter. It's either I have to find the exact part (which is as rare as hens teeth) or I'm stuck.

For the record I have an 1988 E30 M20B20 with a getrag 240 box.

Hopefully this information can be looked upon by someone else who is in the same pickle.

Cheers

Edited by sierra9260

the front half of an E34 M20 520i manual will fit, based on the logic that the 525i and 325i front halves are the same, its the rear half thats different. But Manaual E34 even harder to come by than that manual E30. edit: the E34 520i M20 may use a Getrag 260 though, im not sure.

but having looked for individual manual parts in the past, people rarely split thier setups. easiest solution would be to get your one machined down.

If the seller is a BMW parts guy, there is a good chance he is on here, prehaps they just sent you the wrong one by mistake?

And welcome to Bimmersport by the way! unfortunate your experience so far with the BMWs aren't as good as it could be!

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I've decided to put this in the general discussion page as I get the feeling it would be very beneficial to alot of e30, e34 owners

I was ripped off from a bloke on trade me who decided to sell me a full manual conversion kit for a m20b20. He decided to be clever <_< and take advantage of my trusting good nature (albeit naive) and not bother to send the matching driveshaft. So here I am many weeks later still trying to get one to fit. I was once very hopeful as I assumed they should be quite interchangeable, I might be able to use one from a 325i or alter a 318i one... But alas it seems very hard to find one at all and I would need some appropriate sizes to start with.

My question is: what would be the best way of getting a driveshaft to fit an M20B20? Would it be cost affective altering a longer shaft? Will e34 shafts be longer? What are the sizes?

I've been racking my brains for a while trying to figure out the best solution.. I thought I might be able to get one slightly longer and have it altered or I might be able to put extra guibos on to lengthen it. I've been digging and digging all over the world wide web for something that stands out and can sort my problems but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding the matter. It's either I have to find the exact part (which is as rare as hens teeth) or I'm stuck.

For the record I have an 1988 E30 M20B20 with a getrag 240 box.

Hopefully this information can be looks upon by someone else who is in the same pickle.

Cheers

I have 2. But i have to warn you now. It wont be cheap

PM me

quote "the front half of an E34 M20 520i manual will fit, based on the logic that the 525i and 325i front halves are the same, its the rear half thats different. But Manaual E34 even harder to come by than that manual E30. edit: the E34 520i M20 may use a Getrag 260 though, im not sure."

Well the 520i and the 320i are M20B20's exactly the same.. however I thought I might be able to find a automatic e34 and grab the shaft off that as the wheel base is longer. But that said I would still be looking at a mint to get it machined down to perfect length for my E30.

It is a long story how I got ripped off but I went for the deal as it seemed cheap and no, the guy was young and turned very nasty and lied a lot. Not a great experience but unfortunately there isn't much i can do.

thanks for the help so far, it seems that the exact part I need would still be cheapest option.

If you bought the kit via trademe you may have legal recourse there. Failing that, threaten him through the Commerce Commission and the Fair Trading Act. Or visit him with a baseball bat and ask very politely for the parts you paid for :ph34r:

If you bought the kit via trademe you may have legal recourse there. Failing that, threaten him through the Commerce Commission and the Fair Trading Act. Or visit him with a baseball bat and ask very politely for the parts you paid for :ph34r:

Hahaha I like it! :lol: Good point, I did go to the Police about it but when i have a bit more time I will definitely try some of those other avenues.

Hahaha I like it! :lol: Good point, I did go to the Police about it but when i have a bit more time I will definitely try some of those other avenues.

Didn't realise getting the front piece of the Drive shaft was so hard. I biffed one out when we moved house a few months back.

Try putting a wanted to buy post in the WTB section of the forum.

It is highly likely one of the E30 race series guys will have one sitting around. The series is what gobbles up most of the 240 boxes.

Otherwise Kayne Barrie from Kayne Barrie Motorsport may have one on hand.

Also check the forums parts sponsors. One is bound to have one. They are not an uncommon car.

You`ll be wanting one that is 1526 mm long. Preferably with a FL hanger bearing .Call me if you get stuck.

Try putting a wanted to buy post in the WTB section of the forum.

It is highly likely one of the E30 race series guys will have one sitting around. The series is what gobbles up most of the 240 boxes.

Otherwise Kayne Barrie from Kayne Barrie Motorsport may have one on hand.

Also check the forums parts sponsors. One is bound to have one. They are not an uncommon car.

You`ll be wanting one that is 1526 mm long. Preferably with a FL hanger bearing .Call me if you get stuck.

Cheers guys. Posted a bit in the WTB section here. I'll try asking around a little.

Where are you? I presume AKL, I have a F/L one in CHC if that is any help.

Where are you? I presume AKL, I have a F/L one in CHC if that is any help.

I'm in Wellington actually, how much would you want for it? You can P.M. me if you'd like. I'd be more than happy to pay freight costs. Cheers

update everyone.. i have kindly been supplied with an excellent driveshaft from a member of this site! I am very grateful to all who gave me advice and tried to help :):):) be wary of handing money to people on trademe before being supplied the other half of the deal! Cheers guys

^thats great news! Glad it worked out well. It's always good to be safe with trademe or any deals for that matter.

Good thing people on here are so helpful

dont waste your time been there done that

TME cant do a dam thing and the police dont give a s.h.i.t either there was 8 off us on tradme that got tucked by the same guy in Hamilton for many thousands of dollars and guess what?

yep despite us ganging together to nail him, he got away with it i still have the emails from TME clearing pointing out they can do little to help, thus i dont use the service anymore threatening all these things to the seller only works with honest people.