Sign in to follow this  
qube

E46 m3 - ticking bomb?

Im planning to look at this on the weekend

I think it's worth a look, you don't come across this colour often, even if you had to spend say 5k on it it's still worth it.

Looks like Highland green they put on the E53, awesome colour.

Don't think I've ever seen an E46 without full leather.

It's not common but exists.

Kyu, you have PM on its way.

I knew one of the previous owners of this car (when it was in Christchurch). Guy wasn't exactly a BMW enthusiast and I don't think it was maintained all that well...

Having said that, he did have a race car so he knew a thing or two about cars.

He got it from 'indy cars' and then sold it back to them after a few years.

All this was a few years back.

With these things, you get what you pay for so I'd suspect it will need some work.

P.s. colour was identical to my E36 M3 'BMW Individual Oxfordgruen Green'... LOVED that colour.

Edited by crazyarab

Seems like an interesting one for that price. I would agree with Kyu, even if it did need work might be worth it...

Although, major issues with the engine and what not could indeed get costly.

What's a good used S54 worth anyhow?

Seems like an interesting one for that price. I would agree with Kyu, even if it did need work might be worth it...

Thought I saw $10k+ in the engine rebuild after VANOS explosion thread a month or two back.

Anyone else had experience with the dealer? VERY pushy.

Edited by Tristan

Not really related but some dealers are a**holes and some are just plain awesome and a joy to deal with.

It really just comes down to the good cop bad cop scenario. Whichever makes the sale..

Maybe see if you can buy a Mechanical warranty since they are a dealer?

I remember seeing this car in chch too

DMD 2

First rego NZ 24 August 2006

Rego Japan November 2001

JR 01174

Assembled October 2001

"Ticking Bomb" at 192,k's and 12 years old one would need to research this carefully and find out what has been done and how it has been driven, Chassis re-enforce plates, the usual maintenance stuff and more being a "M3". To many unknowns the price is more than I would like to pay for it even with out doing any research on it. Go have a look and let us know what you find under the shiny paint work.

Anyone else had experience with the dealer? VERY pushy.

Just bought a car from them two weeks ago. There was no sales pressure at all in my case and I test drove it twice and bought on the third visit. I found them open and honest, the owner showed me what they had invested in the car I bought and gave me receipts etc.

Their cars are not necessarily mint (often sourced from other dealers as unwanted trade-ins) but mine had a bomb spent on it in preparation for sale.

Due diligence is required as normal.

Richard

Just bought a car from them two weeks ago. There was no sales pressure at all in my case and I test drove it twice and bought on the third visit. I found them open and honest, the owner showed me what they had invested in the car I bought and gave me receipts etc.

Their cars are not necessarily mint (often sourced from other dealers as unwanted trade-ins) but mine had a bomb spent on it in preparation for sale.

Due diligence is required as normal.

Richard

Good to hear that people have had good experiences with them.

I have a 2004 S54 engine with manifolds, alternator, aircon pump, oil filter housing, airbox, mounts and engine loom on it for $8,950. Has done 80,000 km or 52,000 miles. This engine is not a Japanese import. Also has throttle bodies and air and fuel rails. Doesn't include a starter although one can be supplied. Also have a 6 speed manual for the S54. Has had the lay shaft fitted with a key way and checked by Kayne Barrie.

Edited by FIAT 131R

I have a 2004 S54 engine with manifolds, alternator, aircon pump, oil filter housing, airbox, mounts and engine loom on it for $8,950. Has done 80,000 km or 52,000 miles. This engine is not a Japanese import. Also has throttle bodies and air and fuel rails. Doesn't include a starter although one can be supplied. Also have a 6 speed manual for the S54. Has had the lay shaft fitted with a key way and checked by Kayne Barrie.

There was a guy who's M3 engine blew up, in general section - may be interested in yours.